Apple In-Ear Headphone Shocking?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by kewl, Jan 13, 2009.

1. kewl macrumors newbie

Is it normal to experience intermittent small jolts of electricity from in-ear headphones? My regular earbuds never shock me. My new apple in-ear headphones shock me quite often, especially if I'm walking. I used to have some UE's and I vaguely remember the same thing happening.

I don't know if it's me, my clothes causing this, or a defect in the headphones. Anyone else have this issue?

2. scott523 macrumors 6502a

I got the shocks too, which I don't find it normal at all. I had the Bose in-ears before Apple's in-ears and they didn't shock me at all. I think it's the fact that Apple's in-ears don't have any magnets compared to most other headphones. The cause for the shocks is from the dry/cold air or even static build-up from your clothes but like I said, none of the headphones I've used shocked me before.

Also I found out the rubber piece connecting the cord to the earpiece was coming loose! Ended up returning them after none of the AppleCare support representatives understood what I was saying. They sent me regular iPod earphones, then sent me the previous old in-ear headphones..

3. gjw4u macrumors 6502

I experienced the same phenomenon when using the Griffin in-ear 'TuneBuds Mobile' and wearing a wool overcoat. The cables are covered an additional nylon fabric layer. I contacted Griffin about this problem, and they assured me that I had a faulty pair, and suggested I return them. The store I bought them from replaced them with no hassle, but unfortunately I had the same problem with the new ones. It seems this problem does not occur, when wearing a coat made from cotton.

4. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

5. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Holly Sh*T! I got shocked today!!!!! Got it in both ears a few minutes apart. I was not moving or rubbing against anything. I was sitting at my wood desk in the office watching a video. WTF!!!!

6. jsauter macrumors newbie

I have been getting this recently as well. It only happens when I am walking with my earphones and only on the left bud.

Kind of shocking!

7. HBarkhymer macrumors newbie

I am having this problem in both ears

I bought the headphones on Sunday and have been shocked in both ears, almost continuously, every time I've used them. Never had this problem with the V-Moda Vibes (did have other problems though, but nothing that hurt me physically). I am pretty sure I will return these. It's not like the sound is good enough to justify the pain.

8. k2snow macrumors member

I have been extremely disappointed to not find these earphones in the stores, but I am glad that I have not yet purchased them because of the problem. I wonder what Apple will do to make this problem right?

How is the sound overall for you users?

9. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I don't even have the Apple In-ear headphones and I am still getting shocked. I am using my Apple regular headphones that came with my iPod Touch that I got about a year ago.

I just noticed it starting to shock me a few minutes ago. I was out playing basketball (its 43 degrees right now). My heaphones shock me about every 10 seconds. Its probably just the cold air buts its still really inconvenient.

10. TRON1138 macrumors newbie

Shock Hazzard

I too am getting shocked from the $79 dollar earbuds on an iphone 3G. I hope this doesn't casue any permament damage

11. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Same here. Especially when I'm outside, I get shocks quite frequently. It's addressed in the manual, so surely it can't be dangerous.

12. Sebby macrumors 6502a

I got a pair of these the other day and haven't been shocked yet. I read that quite a few experienced this problem - perhaps Apple have fixed it now?

13. spacka macrumors member

14. spacka macrumors member

15. Sebby macrumors 6502a

That's the old model. Also, beware of places like eBay. If it's significantly cheaper than in the shops, the likelihood is that they're fake.

16. cbdoc macrumors member

Same here. I already got a replacement pair, and after about 2 months of use, its shocking me again.

Happens when I'm walking, especially if its cold or windy...

17. BearsFan34 macrumors regular

BearsFan34

Yep, I had this issue as well. Before my 1-year warranty ran out, I returned them for a fresh pair (which I intend to do every year...it's like a new pair of headphones every year!). Told them there was a problem with the clicker (which there honestly was) and also the "shock" issue.

Been on this pair of Apple IEMs now for about 4 or 5 months...no shocks yet, but with fall/winter approaching we'll see. I would typically get shocked every time I'd wear them to get groceries at the store I frequent; but I've been there a few times this summer & no shocking issues with the new pair.

Guess we'll see...

18. jackhdev macrumors 6502

I've had this problem, too. We must be wearing them the wrong way.

19. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    well, this is shocking!

i brought a pair but returned them as they were faulty and just paid the extra $$ for a pair of klipsch s4i... no regrets

20. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

I don't really care, they hurt my ears and disgrace music. :D