Apple in-ear headphones and iPhone. why not just hack them?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mdwsta4, Nov 13, 2008.

1. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

i do agree it sucks that new the Apple in-ear headphones are not iphone compatible, but i don't see what the big deal is. take apart your existing iphone headphones, take apart the in-ear ones, solder the new in-ears on the old iphone's wires, and voila, you have dual driver in-ear headphones and mic/button funcionality. no?

i've enjoyed my shure e2c's and etymotic er6i's for years. wouldn't mind upgrading to dual drivers if they fit well. especially for how cheap the apple headphones are.

2. ptsube macrumors 6502

You don't even need to do that. In my view, the reason why Apple is saying they aren't compatible with the iPhone, is because the the volume might not work. They need to tell the iPhone software how to interpret the volume signal. Everything else should work just fine, mic, play/pause button, and, of course, sound.

The headset uses the same connector and signals as the original headset. It just adds volume control, which the iPhone software may need to be updated in order to recognize.

Apple would need to guarantee that the volume control would work in order to say that it is fully compatible with the iPhone.

3. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

hmmm.... well i guess we'll have to wait until they come out. if the volume control is the only part that isn't compatible that's not a deal breaker for me. i'm more concerned with the seal and sound quality. will also be interested to see if they fit other tips (say etymotic's triple flange).

4. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

yeah you need to read more carefully

the only thing that is not compatible is the the volume control

everything else works

5. guyverzero macrumors member

actually I don't think the in ears are compatible with anything, because they will never be out!

...Sorry, I'm mega pissed at these things, they need to hurry the hell up.

6. RevWillerup macrumors newbie

In-ear earphones and iPhone 3g

It's not just the volume control that doesn't work, but the mic and control buttons are also dead in the water. But I still bought them because they sound fantastic. All you have to do is ensure a good seal and give them at least 10 hours to break in. You'll hear bass. It may not be a trunk-rattling whump! from the diy pimped ride behind you, but it's there, it's smooth, and it's balanced.

Now if Apple would only make the buttons work for 3G.

7. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

uhhh.... strange this got brought up from the dead.
    what do you mean the mic and control buttons don't work? yeah they do. i've been using the headphones since they were released with Etymotic tips on them. all controls (except volume) worked perfectly on my 1st gen phone and everything (including volume) works on my 3GS.