Apple in-ear headphones for iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fishmoose, Aug 22, 2008.

1. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Hi!
    I prefer in-ear headphones and since apple makes in-ear headphones for ipod's i thought i would be able to find the exact same headphones but with a microphone to use with my iphone but i can't find them anywhere so does apple make in-ear headphones with a microphone or do i need to buy headphones from another company?

I'm talking about headphones like these: http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9394G/C but with a microphone

Thanks for reading! :apple:

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've got the Bose In-Ear Headphones and I ended up purchasing the iJack jack that comes with a microphone button that doubles as an iPod external control button when the iPhone is not in use.

3. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

just take the drivers of the Apple ones you got with the phone, and buy some Skull Candy in ear and using a soldering iron attach the skull candy drivers to the Apple cord with the microphone. That is what I did. They sound awesome.

[​IMG]

4. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I don't think Apple makes their in-ear head phones with a mic. The only ones that are Apple branded that they sell with a mic are the ones that come with the iPhone. I'd suggest checking out another manufacturer. Good luck.

5. slicecom macrumors 68020

This is the best solution. However, I wouldn't recommend Skullcandy unless you like lots of bass and not much else.

6. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

I guess i could do that not sure if i could make it work not that good at stuff like that ;) I guess i look at other headphones with a mic or try soldering just for kicks :p a guide would be nice for because i'm a noob at soldering!

7. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

I did the same when I first got my iPhone. I replaced the original ear buds with a pair of old Shure E2's. Here are fruits of my labor:

[​IMG]

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I suck at soldering, and learned that the hard way, by ruining a pair of Apple in-ears. UltimateBuds.com did it for me. I sent them a pair of white Sennheiser CX300s (which blow the Apple in-ears out of the water) and my original iPhone buds. $30 later I had awesome sounding buds with the mic and button.

iPhone buds - free (sorta)
    Sennheiser CX300 - $54 @ jr.com
    Frankenbudding - $30
    Shipping -$15 total
    Total- $99

9. maxxscholten macrumors regular

10. Love Juice macrumors regular

i think this might be what your looking for

http://ultimatebuds.com/store/home.php

apple doesnt make in ear or canal earphones afaik, but this is the next best solution.

btw, skullcandy sux! decent sound (if you dont know what to listen for and not an audiophile), but they are cheaply made.

11. crothy macrumors newbie

12. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Wow! I, too, have been looking for better headphones with a mic (the stock 'phones don't stay in my ear) and it never occurred to me I could just swap out the buds. I'm good at soldering, but I assumed the wires/molded buds were pretty much unserviceable.

Thanks for the great posts, guys!

13. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

I think i will buy some headphones from another company or wait for apple to release in-ears. Thanks for the replies! :apple:

14. maxxscholten macrumors regular

No problem, is really easy, even if you have minimal soldering experience, I mean I really don't have that much experience with soldering besides growing up in a family of electrical engineers (and I'm a photojournalist/historian!)

15. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Ack! How could u sacrifice the cable quality of the shure's for the ones of Apple's?

:eek:

I did that mod for awhile until the cable around the mic started shredding on me.

[​IMG]

I opted for someting a bit more expensive but in the long run more durable.
    Shure SE310s with the music phone adapter.

16. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

Well, after 4 yrs of use the Shure's cable was already destroyed. So I figured what the hell... I'll be getting a new pair of IEM's anyway for hi-fi listening.

17. squeakyclutch macrumors member

squeakyclutch

Hmm...I think I'll try it out. The headphones that come with the iphone indeed do not fit my ear very well. I've been using my razer in-ear headphones. When I receive a call while listening to music, I frantically unplug my headphone, then answer the call. ;)