Apple In-Ear Headphones + Gym = Thumbs Down

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by rkdiddy, Feb 13, 2010.

1. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I received a pair of the more expensive Apple In-Ear Headphones for Christmas.

I used them around the house and thought the sound quality was pretty good. The trick to getting optimal sound seemed to be to get them properly seated with-in your ear canal.

So a few weeks ago I decided to put them through their paces at the gym. The first thing I noticed was they tended to fall out of my ear while doing cardio (elliptical). This was frustrating because I found myself having to continually fiddle with them to reseat them or put them back in my ear. Even though an elliptical is low-impact, I figured it was the continual motion that was causing them to fall out.

Next I moved onto free weights, again issues with them falling out. I even tried flipping them upside down and wrapping the cord over my ear. No luck.

I came home and decided to try the other tips (small and large), neither helped. I think the design of them isn't conducive using them while doing any sort of physical activity.

Figuring I was now out of my return window I decided to try to live with them. Flash forward to yesterday, I again was working out and noticed the sound in the left ear bud was becoming static-ey. At first I thought it was the song...but then the next song came on and it began to cut out. I'm fairly certain they're ruined - I'm hoping they have a warranty.

So lesson learned. The Apple In-Ear Headphones work well for around the house or walking around - but I wouldn't recommend them for use during any physical activity.

Assuming these will be replaced by Apple, I plan to put the replacements up for sale and find a different pair. Ugh. :rolleyes:

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

im pretty sure apple doesnt make in-ear headphones...you got it from someone who bought it at the apple store. apple sells accessories made by other companies, and their own as well.

3. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Apple do make in-ear headphones, I have a set.

OP you could have posted first before buying, could have told you these are a really bad choice for the gym. I had exactly the same experience as you. I use the ones that came with the Nano now.. a lot better.

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

ok i just took a look on apple's site...and it turns out they do make in-ear headphones. they didnt do it last time i checked.

5. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Apple has made In ear headphones since 2004. Then they added 2 drivers to them in 2008.

6. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

i only looked at the apple store. didnt really pay attention to other headphones besides the ones that come with the device, cuz thats the ones i like.

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

At least yours don't static shock you every minute on the treadmill.

8. rkdiddy thread starter macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. :(

I wish i would have posted here first.

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I actually have and use these earphones at the gym and don't have any complains with them.

10. I3eXa macrumors 6502

it'd be nice if apple had some around the ear buds with the remote for the iphone cause I gotta have that remote!!!!:D

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Umm when did you check last? Was it early 90's?

OP: try using these http://www.complyfoam.com/ I use them while riding a bike and they don't fall out.

12. kelpi macrumors regular

kelpi

+1 on these as i use them with my skullcandy phones. stays in during my 3x a week 9min pace 5 mile runs. i recommend them

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ok that's even better. I don't recall the last time I did something 3x a week for 9 minutes at a time.

Wait ...

Anyway go with comply, they're great.

14. kelpi macrumors regular

kelpi

Haha, that made me laugh...9 minute exercise. I've seen them types before with the latte in one hand, all primped up, cell in the other, doing 4 mile pace on the treadmill.

15. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

typical 14 year old attitude

just admit you were wrong and move on

to the OP sorry the headphones didn't work out for the gym, try the Sony over the ear headphones ( best aerobic headphones imho)

16. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I've had the in-ears ever since the dual drivers version was released. Lots to like about them... the price for a dual driver solution, the sound is pretty spiffy, and the ease of the remote solution can't be beaten IMO. But they do require more effort than most to get that "sweet spot" fit, which is a little annoying, and they do seem to work loose.

That may be down to me owning them for about a year though. But the built quality at this late stage isn't great... the 3.5mm jack sheath slides up when trying to disconnect, and the rubber were the headphone housing meets the cable recently split and has now come away.

And they are fairly rubbish for the gym/running. I ended up getting two sets of Sennheiser headphones - one set of over-the-ears and a set of in-ears. I generally stick with the in-ears. A less refined sound than the Apple's, but great for the gym all the same.

Despite the issues I've had with the Apple's I'll be replacing them with more of the same - and thanks to jessica.'s suggestion I'll be combining them with the complyfoam tips.

17. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I like my Apple In Ears quite a bit and use them at the gym all the time for running ,weight lifting and other cardio exercises.

I did have an issue with the Apple supplied rubber buds, but I went to Best Buy and bought a package of Sony in ear replacement buds and they stay in my ear great now. A perfect seal with the Sonys.

18. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

I used to think of bringing my iPhone for working out. Truth be told, I would recommend buy a cheap MP3 player, load it with some of your playlists and you're good to go. You never really know what can happen when you work out...

19. Mark-Mac-Attack macrumors regular

I own two pairs of the 2008 in ear headphones because I find them so great!

Use them at the gym all the time and have no issues.

THe rubber has come apart from the earphone where the cable starts. I have just added a little superglue and they are back to normal.

Found they didn't like the 2G iPhone however due to its recessed headphone socket and tended to mess up the end of the earphones.

Unfortunate if they fall out of your ears though.

20. Yester5 macrumors regular

Yester5