Apple In Ear Headphones with Mic

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by eternlgladiator, Jul 15, 2010.

1. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I'm curious if any of you have these and want to hear your input on them. Before you ask. Yes I've looked at reviews on amazon.com and apple.com

1. Do they work as well as the headphones that come with your iPhone or do the extra buttons and extra functionality make them better?

2. Do they stay in your ear well? I use the regular iPhone headphones every day and the left one stays in well while the right one usually falls out.

3. Add anything else you like about them.

Thanks everyone!

2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I have them. The buttons are a like the stock ones + volume controll which only works on the 3GS and upwards.

The sound quality isn't as good as other headphones in that price range but it's a good compromise between sound and functionality.

The earphones stays in my ears, you might have to spend some time testing the different sizes included.

3. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

I like these a lot, and I've owned some expensive headphone rigs in my life. Though I feel that there's a great deal of compromises to be made.

First, the build quality feels like that of earphones half the price. Fortunately I have friends at several local Apple stores who can swap them out for me if anything goes wrong outside of the warranty(part of why I bought them). Second, the fit and seal with the stock tips are extremely iffy. I highly recommend getting the Sony EP-EX10A tips. Even after getting a better seal these are a little bass shy. For me that's not a big deal, because I much prefer hearing crisp vocals and some decent sound separation, but it becomes annoying when I listen to any hip-hop or something poorly mastered.

While I enjoy them and am happy with them, if you don't need the controls/mic you can do much better elsewhere. I'll be honest, if I didn't have any friends to swap them out for me, I probably wouldn't buy them and just forego using headphones on the go(I've had various issues with more expensive headphones).

Also I don't recommend buying them on eBay. Many people say these are only worth buying at that price instead of MSRP, but how many of those on eBay are actually authentic? I'd rather play it safe and get it from an authorized retailer if you do decide to get them.

4. robby818 macrumors 6502a

They were good. Sound quality was quite good. One earbud stopped working about three months out of the one year warranty. However, Apple replaced it anyways. I am not sure if I caused it (water) or whether the earphone was defective. So my conclusion was pretty good earphones but might break easily.

5. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

my drivers blew out inside the warranty, but I wanted an excuse to get new headphones so I never took them in. Kinda regret that now

6. 4nortons macrumors newbie

Weak bass

Wanted to like them. Great build quality, same easy to use controls and nice mic sound quality. But I gotta have full range sound and these are pretty dang weak in the bass department.

7. adamrc macrumors newbie

I like mine a lot. They sound great and have great bass. They key to getting the best sound is to try out all of the different size ear pieces. I ended up using the largest ones and it made a big difference on how much bass was produced. These have great studio reference sound with not too much bass or treble but just right.

8. robby818 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the way they did it was to do a warranty exchange using the serial number for an ipod nano that I bought less than a year ago. I don't think it was entirely legit, but I was thankful to the Store employee for finding a way to do it.