Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
I have an iPhone and am interested in a pair of in-ear headphones. I’m mainly looking for two things: fairly high quality sound and a mic/remote I can use with the iPhone.

Do the Apple In-ear Headphones satisfy these two things? I’ve heard pretty good things about them, but I’ve also heard that not all of the remote functions work with the iPhone. Does anyone have experience using them with an iPhone?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
They are a step up from most headphones and certainly better than the stock earbuds.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
Get Skullcandy In-Ears. They're really good. The Apple ones are overpriced.

SkullCandy's are the Best cheap earphones you can get.

LIFETIME WARRANTY!

Not only is the sound good but you know that you will have these earphones working for a lifetime.

I have the Ink'd Buds. To me its the BEST they (skullcandy) have.

Dont get anything else except the Ink'd Buds. $19.99

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
I have to say I'm extremely satisfied with my Apple in-ear headphones. Songs sound a lot better than they do on a lot of other headphones (Skullcandy included, they're more about color than sound). I'd certainly recommend the Apple in-ears... great sound and they have a mic and remote (though the volume controls don't work on the iPhone).

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Honestly I don't think you can find a good pair of in ears for under $150. In ear still requires custom ear inserts to be most effective.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008

Do the Skullcandys have an inline mic and volume controls?

I have a pair that were given to me as a gift. They sound ok but don't have the things that the OP are looking for. I have also been looking at the Apple in-ears after I gave my earbuds with mic to my GF so she can use them with her Ipod Touch.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I have to say I'm extremely satisfied with my Apple in-ear headphones. Songs sound a lot better than they do on a lot of other headphones (Skullcandy included, they're more about color than sound). I'd certainly recommend the Apple in-ears... great sound and they have a mic and remote (though the volume controls don't work on the iPhone).

Ditto. I've had mine for about two years now and they're great.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC

Yeah, I bought some SkullCandy Ink'd headphones before, and I returned them. They were inexpensive, but they sounded pretty average. I had Sony in-ear headphones before that, but they broke in about a year, so I didn't want to buy another one of those.

About the Apple in-ear headphone's remote: I know the volume controls don't work on the iPhone (I'm holding out that this be addressed in a software update), but can you still pause/play and change the track?

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
I use the apple in ears and find them quite good. I am a bit of an audiophile that means for me that quality is important, even if I am only a non-expert.

I alos use the bose AM 3s. They are very good but no mic.

spacecadet610

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
i use the Apple In-Ears with my iPhone.

Completely satisfied with the sound and the remote is convenient.

macryder

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2009
Those feedbacks in this phone are really heating up! What's the big difference of this earphone from the other earphones compatible with Apple?

cl0wnzee

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2009
Apple in-ear 2G(! not 1G) should be not bad how I heard, but I still think they are overpriced.

Skullcandy (I have always to th*** out when I hear that name), total overpriced fashion "headphones" for pubescent teenager. DON'T BUY

On budget: something from sennheiser, like cx300 or even the creative EP630 (I think that was the name)

Middle class: Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 or something else from UE

High end: something from shure

how I know does any company by now have something for the iPhone.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Yeah, I bought some SkullCandy Ink'd headphones before, and I returned them. They were inexpensive, but they sounded pretty average. I had Sony in-ear headphones before that, but they broke in about a year, so I didn't want to buy another one of those.

About the Apple in-ear headphone's remote: I know the volume controls don't work on the iPhone (I'm holding out that this be addressed in a software update), but can you still pause/play and change the track?

The button and mic will work. It'd be nice to have full functionality provided in a software update... perhaps 3.0.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
The new Apple In-Ears are excellent. Really, really great sound for the price and the controls + mic are superb.

Dual drivers. Great sound. Excellent feature set. $79.

They're definitely worth it to me.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I have the Apple in-ears and thought they were awful compared to by Shures. I then too the triple flanged tips off the Shures and put them on the Apple set - they now sound fantastic! still not as good as a $250 pair of Shures but a vast improvement and great for the price. I like being able to use the mic & controls on the Apple set vs. the crappy dongle that Shute makes.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
The newer Apple In-Ears actually replaced my Shure e530s on my daily commute bikeride to work. I only bust out the 530s for plane travel and pleasure listening now.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea

Are you serious?!?!

1) Skullcandy are the most overpriced headphone manufacturer of them all!!

2) The quality of the headphones suck big time!

3) The voume of Skullcandy headphones is always really really really really low for some reason?!

4) They take the cheapest mass manufactured speakers, and put them inside their own fancy cases

5) They are popular with emo's

If you want decent headphones you should look to invest in something like Shure but even they aren't mind blowing, however im sure since you even have to ask that the Apple in-ear headphones will be fine for you.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
Are you serious?!?!

3) The voume of Skullcandy headphones is always really really really really low for some reason?!

4) They take the cheapest mass manufactured speakers, and put them inside their own fancy cases

If you want decent headphones you should look to invest in something like Shure but even they aren't mind blowing, however im sure since you even have to ask that the Apple in-ear headphones will be fine for you.

Over-priced? :confused:

Their only $19.99!!

And to me SkullCandy is really worth it. The Ink'd Buds.

Although the rest are kinda overpriced but not the Ink's Buds :D

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
Are you serious?!?!

Skullcandy Full Metal Jackets blow Apple's in-ears out of the water. Every other model from them I hear are terrible. Got mine for $25. And they stay in your ears whereas the design of the Apple "in-ear" buds point straight out and don't stay in well. But they don't have a mic, but do have volume adjustment. That's about it.

That said, Shure's are really nice, but expensive.

I haven't liked any of Apple's headphones, other people have different luck I'm sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.