Apple In-Ears dead - will Apple replace them under the iPhone 5's warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Poki, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

So, I have a pair of Apple In-Ears here. I bought them a little bit over a year ago, don't know when exactly as I can't find the bill. They're dead now the second time, again one earpiece is much louder than the second one.

The first time Apple replaced them under the normal warranty - I showed them the bill at the Apple store. But now I don't have any bill and I'm pretty sure they're older than one year. As there is absolutely NO serial number on these things, do you think Apple will replace them under my iPhone 5's warranty?

I don't want to be greedy or something, but In-Ears that die two times in just a little over a year are not really convincing ... soo yeah, the next Apple Store is a five hour drive away from me, that's why I'm asking. Do you have any experience you could share with such a case?

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

It's worth a shot. They may even replace them without checking any warranty at all, they've done that for stock headphones of mine when I wouldn't even present an iDevice they came with.

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

From the warranty itself:

"Apple warrants the included hardware product and accessories against defects in materials and workmanship for one year from the date of original retail purchase."

Seeing that the iPhone 5 comes with a completely different model of headphones, it's going to be rather difficult to convince Apple they were included with your iPhone 5.

4. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Yeah they will. They once replaced my power adapter without even knowing where, how, or what I got it with. They didn't even want my old one back just handed me a new one haha. This was at the Walnut Creek, CA apple store.

5. Poki thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poki

The last time I replaced them the genius told me the iPhone's warranty includes all products that were bought together with it.

But I guess I will try it. Every iPhone includes phone support when I remember correctly - so it can't hurt giving them a call. After all, these are nice 70€ headphones, they only don't seem to last long ... Just need a pair of pocketable headphones to use when my B&W P5s are too clunky.

Thanks for all the input! Seems very positive so far. :)

6. mzd macrumors 6502a

i actually just had my apple dual driver in ears replaced yesterday.
    mine were over a year old (year and a half), and i did tell the genius that, but he replaced them anyway. he just opened up a new package and gave me the headphones only.
    he did scan the package as a return and then again as a purchase and emailed me a $0 receipt.
    the rubber stress relief bits right where the cord connects to the ear piece was ripped on both sides. aside from that i've been very happy with them - fit & sound quality.

7. Poki thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poki

Sounds great! I'm happy with them too and hope Apple is nice again. It almost seems like they know these things will fall apart pretty quickly and therefor replace them without too much trouble.

8. mzd macrumors 6502a

i had their original in-ears as well and those lasted like 4 years before they fell apart. i was hoping the new style would hold up long term as well...
    i guess as long as they replace them hassle-free we're alright. :cool:

9. Poki thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poki

And they at least sound better and are more comfortable than the EarPods. Just a little on the expensive side now that most In-Ears in this price class got dual drivers.

10. uberpooter macrumors member

I've used these in-ears by Apple religiously since the first gen came out years ago. I cannot find a better sounding, more comfortable set of headphones anywhere else at this price. The sound range is soo big, the highest frequency's come in insanely clear.

11. nutmac macrumors 68040

Apple has a replacement program for In-Ears:

12. Poki thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poki

This only applies to the cheap Apple headphones supplied with an iPod shuffle. I not even care using them, so I won't look into the box of my shuffle to see if they work ...

But I think if I get a nice genius, they should replace them. Will Apple give a call tomorrow.

13. nutmac macrumors 68040

From the support document:

Note: Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic and Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic which exhibit the symptoms noted above are also covered under this program.

I have taken my In-Ear to the store and received a replacement.