Apple in Japan!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jdwagner888, May 21, 2011.

1. jdwagner888 macrumors regular

Alright folks, the store back at my last duty station (Macarthur Center, Norfolk Virginia) screwed me over i guess, all because they could not figure out what is wrong with my mac. 1 month later i find myself stationed in Japan for 3 years. The macarthur center told me that there are apple stores all over japan. and the closest one i can find is an hour train ride from here costing around 25$ round trip.

So before i make the trip, do Japanese Apple stores even speak fluid english? Are they going to be able to work on my Macbook Pro or am i going to have to pay extra $ to ship it off to USA Apple and have them fix it. My speakers have a horrible rattling sound to them but it is not the speakers because they have replaced them before. I am very upset that i spend over 2300$ on a laptop and they cannot even figure out what is wrong with it?

So to anyone in japan do they speak english? thanks

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Do you? :p

Anyway, if you go to an Apple store, just say "naoshite kudasai" (pronounced now-she-teh koo-dah-sigh), which means "Please fix!" Then jump up-and-down, and point at your laptop! :p

If you go to a big Apple store in a tourist area (the Shibuya and Ginza stores in Tokyo, Shinsaibashi in Osaka) , I doubt you'll have problems. I had great luck in the Nagoya store as well, but I did speak some broken Japanese and met them half-way. ;)

3. jdwagner888 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Xeperu macrumors 6502

Last time I was in a Japanese Apple store one of the "Geniuses" owned his college hard when I asked wether he spoke English. He politely excused himself, called his college and told him in Japanese, while laughing, "You always say you speak English well, go for it." The kid was obviously not happy about this because his English was ****.

Fortunately my Japanese is not too bad, so we managed to resolve the issue. Good laughs though.

5. puma1552 macrumors 601

FTR, Osaka is my regular store, been there numerous times with my old MBP that eventually got replaced, and not once have I had an English speaking genius.

You are in Japan, and if you are here for three years, it's time to start learning the language. You may or may not be able to get by without Japanese/with English.

If you can't speak Japanese at the store, I wouldn't worry too much, they will know what's wrong with the computer when they look at it. Don't roll in there speaking fast native level English though, with lots of slang and idioms. Even the best speakers with 20+ years can have difficulty with native level speech. Speak slowly and clearly, with standard English, with no slang or weird expressions.

6. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

You can't say- "Hey, sir, can you please fix this dun thur macbook?"