Apple In Store Repairs Suck... Sorta...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jck1634, Mar 16, 2009.

1. jck1634 macrumors regular

jck1634

Hi everyone, I've been a bit of a forum lurker for about a year and just wanted to share with you my first visit to Apple for repairs.

Was thinking about switching to a Mac since I got my iPhone, and thanks to some of the posts on here that I read, I made the plunge and bought a 2.53Ghz Macbook Pro last October when they were released. Needless to say I got hooked.

Last week, however, The backlight on the keyboard started to go all funny so I took it into the Apple store (Lakeside) from where I bought it. The Mac Genius I saw gave me a repair estimate of 3 to 5 days because they would have to replace the entire top case. Seemed reasonable enough.

I picked up my "repaired" Mac yesterday.

Ok so the keyboard was indeed repaired, however, the screen wasn't put back properly so the magnets weren't latching together. The Superdrive kept spitting out every disc I would feed it and the fans kicked in at high velocity every couple of minutes.

I've read so many stories on the net about things like this happening. people handing their computers in for repairs and getting them back worse than before. I don't understand how this still happens.

In their defence I must add that they replaced my system with the new 2.66Ghz version, which was nice of them. Doesn't reassure me about their repair service though.

2. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

My and many other people's perfectly fine HDDs have been wiped by Apple support in the past. So if you have your data consider yourself lucky. Apple Genius bars are good, but their off site repair centers can really screw you.

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Apple service is better than most places, but it certainly isn't perfect. The good thing is that Apple make good on any screw-ups they make.

4. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

5. jck1634 thread starter macrumors regular

jck1634

I dont think you read the whole post. I took it back today and told them what they did and the Mac genius I saw today swapped it to a 2.66Ghz version without batting an eyelid.
    I even got to keep my harddrive which was great. :D :p

I do agree that Apple sure know how to take care of their screw ups. I just wonder why they screw up so easily. All it would have taken, after they had repaired my keyboard is a simple check of the basic working features of my MPB to realize that it wasn't working as it should.

6. PeterKG macrumors 6502

So I think your post should have read how darn lucky you were that the repair was screwed up, because Apple gave you a brand new updated and faster MBP. Some people can never be happy.

7. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Lol, would be funny if you got someone else's machine on accident :p.

8. jck1634 thread starter macrumors regular

jck1634

You make an interesting point. I could completely ignore the fact that they screwed up my repair in the first place and give emphasis to the fact they they gave me a brand new one. If only we thought like that about everything. Think about the good, and ignore the bad.

The point of my post was to just highlight how poor apple in-store repairs can be. The fact that they gave a new one to make up for their screw up shouldn't take away from the fact that they screwed up so easily.

lol its ok, I saw him take my new one out of a sealed box. So its brand new! :D