Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ped

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
I think your figures are just a little on the low side there! From the last quarterly results:

- 18.6 million iphones sold.
- 9 million ipods (remember they share the same screen as the iphone normally), 50% were touches, so call it 4.5m

So, 23.1m devices in 3 months, or 7.7m per month. Even without the ipod, it's over 6m/month. And remember this is 6 months after the iphone 4 launched, and not a high sales (as in pre-christmas) period. Add a new device or holiday sales boost and you can expect a lot more than that.

Also, from the results: "189 million cumulative iOS device sales by end of March quarter". 15 million were ipads, so 174million iphones + ipod touches.

Assuming that's from Apple's quarterly earnings call or something I'll stand corrected and the source I found was way off.

But Samsung can still easily supply them. By this time next year they'll be capable of producing 360 million OLED screens per year (and are capable of 96 million per year right now).

ped

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
I don't think we'll see OLEDs that soon. OK, Samsung can now make more of them, but the current gen have a low-res pentile RGBG instead of the normal RGB layout which is going to prove problematic to get a retina-display res.

No, they don't. The "current gen" is the SAMOLED+ which uses a normal RGB matrix.

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Assuming that's from Apple's quarterly earnings call or something I'll stand corrected and the source I found was way off.

But Samsung can still easily supply them. By this time next year they'll be capable of producing 360 million OLED screens per year (and are capable of 96 million per year right now).

Yes, it's from the last quarter's earnings, so "horse's mouth".

Sounds like an OLED iphone might be practical for next year. An ipad.. maybe, but I still think probably not until at least the year after. 360million I assume is for phone sized screens, you can divide that by at least 4 for ipad sized screens, perhaps more. E.g. it takes 9x 3.3" screens to make 1x 10" screen, that would only leave 40m ipad screens - which may not be enough, and would leave no capacity for phone screens. If it's 360m 5" screens, it gets more likely.

No, they don't. The "current gen" is the SAMOLED+ which uses a normal RGB matrix.

Maybe, but I read somewhere that the next gen will be back to pentile (may not have been samsung, and my memory is a little hazy on this one). I also read that the new pentile is much higher res and much improved, to the point where it's not an issue in practice - so who cares if it is? If it's a retina OLED screen even BAD pentile would be amazing compared to what we have now, much-improved pentile would be absolutely wonderful!

ped

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Sounds like an OLED iphone might be practical for next year. An ipad.. maybe, but I still think probably not until at least the year after. 360million I assume is for phone sized screens, you can divide that by at least 4 for ipad sized screens, perhaps more. E.g. it takes 9x 3.3" screens to make 1x 10" screen, that would only leave 40m ipad screens - which may not be enough, and would leave no capacity for phone screens. If it's 360m 5" screens, it gets more likely.

I think you may be off a little there - an iPad is 10" diagonally, not width x height. Probably looking at a division of 6 or 7 instead of 9? But I still get your point.

ped

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
In fact here are the breakdowns of how many 7" and 10" displays you can get from each of gen 4.5 and gen 5.5 substrates (source: Gabelli analysts, June 2nd report on Universal Display)

OLED_tablets.JPG

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Interesting. But, only 35m between them by the end of the year. I doubt that is enough, if apple are releasing the ipad3 early next year. Hopefully we'll get a retina type LCD instead, then maybe oled in 2013.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.