Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Financial Times reported that in the wake of Sony's Blu-ray win over HD-DVD, that Sony is in talks with both Microsoft and Apple about inclusion of Blu-ray with future machines. Microsoft had previously been shipping an HD-DVD accessory for their Xbox 360, so their adoption of Blu-ray would represent a significant turnaround.

Apple, however, has not yet shipped any high definition drives with any of their computers. They've instead focused on distributing digital content through their iTunes Store.

With the demise of the HD-DVD format, it seems only a matter of time before Apple adopts Blu-ray drives in their machines.

Article Link

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Ultimately, I think blu-ray is an updated version of the last horse-drawn carriage. Optical drives aren't going to last forever, and I think they'll start getting phased out en masse within a few years (whereas DVDs have been around almost a decade now).

Comment

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
It's about time.

I have a 1st generation MacBook Pro and I'm looking forward to upgrading it. A Bluray drive might be the last piece of the puzzle for me.

Comment

studiopix

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2003
Blu-Ray intergrated in the XBox 360...

...would be the killer combination for the ultimate next-gen console.

It would be nice to have optional recordable BD drives for the Mac on the condition that the prices of the drives and media are within reason. 50GBs would be very convenient for backups.

Comment

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
My portable data needs don't really justify burning a 25/50GB disc. I would back up to an internal/external hard drive for that purpose.

I suppose that large video and audio files would benefit, but I can't see a "need" as much as the times we considered whether or not to get a superdrive. 4.7GB/disc was a big deal, and a capacity that had universal appeal. I can't see as many people buying a BD burner just yet. Maybe BD-R/DVD-RW drives will become the standard with a $200 upgrade to the BD-R/W version.

Comment

ilflyya

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
Indiana
Physical Data

Physical Data isn't likely to go away. Downloading movies isn't something that everyone is capable of doing. The net connection I have right now sucks, and SBC says it is the best they can do because I'm at the end of their line, and I live in the suburbs of Indianapolis. Downloading a youtube video, let alone a full length movie, isn't even worth it. Bring on BR, even if it is a upgraded horse and buggy, I'll love the quality of it as well on my 65 inch big screen!

Comment

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
I'd love to see Blu-Ray in the Mini upgrade. This would be a television's best friend.

Comment

danielpi

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
Ultimately, I think blu-ray is an updated version of the last horse-drawn carriage. Optical drives aren't going to last forever, and I think they'll start getting phased out en masse within a few years (whereas DVDs have been around almost a decade now).

Disagree. Are you suggesting that you would save a library of HD films on your hard drive? How about when 2k or 4k become the standard? Given the rate at which hard drive technology is improving, and the rate at which network connections improve -- these will be dwarfed by the increasing memory demands of films, and there will remain a need for some form of hard storage (not necessarily optical drives, but the wifi world you imagine is not in the forseeable future, methinks).

Comment

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Is blu-ray an open standard?

It seems bad for the industry, and the users, if everyone has to pay homage to Sony and only Sony.

Comment

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
...would be the killer combination for the ultimate next-gen console.

It would be nice to have optional recordable BD drives for the Mac on the condition that the prices of the drives and media are within reason. 50GBs would be very convenient for backups.

i think the next gen XBox will have a Blu-Ray drive as Microsoft probably know by now that they made the wrong decision choosing HD DVD with most of the major film studios now going to Blu-Ray and Toshiba and NetFlix going Blu-Ray exclusive.

Comment

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area

This is my opinion as well.

Comment

notnek

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Would be sick if apple made a firewire BR drive that hooked up to current Intel machines. :D

Comment

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
I agree. In fact they are already phasing optical drives out; MBA.

Comment

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
I can't see as many people buying a BD burner just yet. Maybe BD-R/DVD-RW drives will become the standard with a $200 upgrade to the BD-R/W version.

So Apple could make a Super Drive that reads and burns CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Ray? That is what I would want! :D

Comment

randyharris

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
I really couldn't care less about a Bluray drive in my iMac, but oh my - wouldn't an AppleTV with a Bluray player be hot hot hot!

Comment

takeabyteoutta

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Physical Data isn't likely to go away. Downloading movies isn't something that everyone is capable of doing. The net connection I have right now sucks, and SBC says it is the best they can do because I'm at the end of their line, and I live in the suburbs of Indianapolis. Downloading a youtube video, let alone a full length movie, isn't even worth it. Bring on BR, even if it is a upgraded horse and buggy, I'll love the quality of it as well on my 65 inch big screen!

What you need is a blu-ray player, such as a PS3, not a blu-ray player in your mac.

This rumor has little to no substance anyway.

Comment

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
I really couldn't care less about a Bluray drive in my iMac, but oh my - wouldn't an AppleTV with a Bluray player be hot hot hot!

Yes it would, but I think it defeats their goal of the digital model. And I just want to say how nice it is to hear someone say the "couldN'T care less" expression correctly for once :)

Comment

tizy

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
Louisville, KY
I don't think Apple is that eager to adopt new blu-ray drives, due to the fact that they have two competing products (sort of)...
1)Movie titles in the form of downloadable content through iTunes.
2)Time Machine (sort of) for saving hard drive contents
... and the reason i say sort of is because I know there are other uses.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.