Apple in Vancouver, CA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hogmog, May 7, 2007.

1. hogmog macrumors member

Within next couple of weeks will be off from UK to Vancouver for a conference. Are there any Apple retailers in and around the city centre where I might be able to pick up a bargain?

I realise that there might be issues with hardware - electrical supplies etc - but are there likely to be any issues with software? For example is FCE the same the world over or is it tailored for specific markets?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Meant to ask also whether Canadian Apple store prices, which I have been using as a kind of comparison guide to UK pricing, included sales tax and what the rate of tax is?

2. finger11 macrumors member

Here you go, I googled it and looks like someone has already done your work for you:
    http://nshb.net/apple-stores-in-vancouver-and-gvrd

I'm in toronto so I couldn't tell you which is best. I can tell you that the apple store does not include taxes in its prices (you won't see that pricing structure at all here in Canada).

Taxes in Ontario are 14%, I think it is either 14% or 14.5% in Van.

3. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

You'll definitely save money, even after you factor in taxes. I'm in Toronto so the rate of tax in total is 14% (8% provincial + 6% federal GST)

A MacBook Pro would be about 200 pounds less in Canada. I used the following calculation:

MacBook Pro in Canada = $2,199 CDN
    8% PST + 7% GST = 307.86 CDN
    TOTAL CDN = $2,506.86

TOTAL IN UK POUNDS after converting = approximately 1135 pounds

Same configuration off the UK site is 1349 including vat

So you’ll save about 200 pounds.

Of course, when going back to the UK, you'll probably have to pay duty on something like this so you might not save anything.

I'm sure the savings for software are around the same. Hop across the border to Seattle for the day and you'll pay even less. Of course, then there's the duty, etc. so it might not be a good idea. And, really, when you're in Vancouver, who the hell would want to go to Seattle? :D

4. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Hi, I live in Vancouver. Tax in this province is 13%. :D You guys in Ontario ...

Where in Vancouver are you staying? As you know the Apple prices for each country are pretty controlled so very little fluctuation among the Apple franchise stores - we don't have a true Apple store on the westcoast yet. Simply Computing and Westworld are both located 5min from downtown and within walking distance of each other. If you were to catch bus to West Broadway and Granville St which is along a major bus interchange from downtown you can walk to both.

Best Buy (US Chain) and Future Shop (now owned by Best Buy USA) are our big box retailers in Vancouver. Both these retailers had Apple on sale for the last couple of months much to the surprise of the smaller Apple franchises. Best Buy just had a big sale where ... I bought a new MBPro 2.16, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM - was CDN$2599, but had $200 off during sale, few days ago was Customer Appreciation day and I got another $200 off last week's purchase. That's CDN$2199 plus 13% tax. The sales alternate between FS and BB, on/off, different models. Depending on when you're here might hit the jackpot.

Oh, if you're a Photoshop NAPP member, Simply Computing offers you a discount - amount depends on what you're buying.