Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Why Apple @ WWDC usually says the next iOS will be released in the Fall?

iOS 6 was released the 19th September
iOS 7 was released the 18th September

Fall means the 21th september or not? :p

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
It doesn’t correspond to any specific date. It could be any time in September or October and November and it would still qualify as fall. They use the seasonal names to give them flexibility so that they don’t have to commit to a date that they don’t know if they can make or not (missing a stated date is bad PR).

There is no inaccuracy. Apple I don’t think has ever said a specific date for release until the GM was released at the specific iPhone event.

digitalove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
It doesn’t correspond to any specific date. It could be any time in September or October and November and it would still qualify as fall. They use the seasonal names to give them flexibility so that they don’t have to commit to a date that they don’t know if they can make or not (missing a stated date is bad PR).

There is no inaccuracy. Apple I don’t think has ever said a specific date for release until the GM was released at the specific iPhone event.

Fall is a specific period of time.
It means between the 21th September and the 21th December. So it should be in this period.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Why Apple @ WWDC usually says the next iOS will be released in the Fall?

iOS 6 was released the 19th September
iOS 7 was released the 18th September

Fall means the 21th september or not? :p

Technically "fall" starts with the September equinox - generally understood to mean the day that the "day" and "night" portions of the day are equal. (There are some technical nuances that cause it to not be absolutely true, but I digress.) This can fall anytime between September 20 and September 24.

But the point here is that you are complaining because Apple missed a "generic" launch date by being between 1 and 6 days EARLY?

Talk about "first world problems".

digitalove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
So you're complaining that they're releasing iOS too soon :eek:

Not complaining at all, the sooner we get iOS releases the better it is

Just pointing out this fact.

----------

Technically "fall" starts with the September equinox - generally understood to mean the day that the "day" and "night" portions of the day are equal. (There are some technical nuances that cause it to not be absolutely true, but I digress.) This can fall anytime between September 20 and September 24.

But the point here is that you are complaining because Apple missed a "generic" launch date by being between 1 and 6 days EARLY?

Talk about "first world problems".

I'm complaining? This is what you are assuming.
If askin' a question is complaining..

I just noticed this thing and wanted to share it and wanted to hear other opinions on that since it seems weird to me that Apple - precise about everything as we all know - release something (even just some days) before it supposed to be.

There are 2 possibility:
1) You are frustrated in life =)
2) You are a freak Apple fanboy (I like Apple but I don't consider myself as a fanboy)

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Not complaining at all, the sooner we get iOS releases the better it is

Just pointing out this fact.

----------

I'm complaining? This is what you are assuming.
If askin' a question is complaining..

I just noticed this thing and wanted to share it and wanted to hear other opinions on that since it seems weird to me that Apple - precise about everything as we all know - release something (even just some days) before it supposed to be.

There are 2 possibility:
1) You are frustrated in life =)
2) You are a freak Apple fanboy (I like Apple but I don't consider myself as a fanboy)

The third option (and the correct one) is that I was just pointing out the inaccuracies of your statement/question. Further, when put in context, it's clear that Apple is using seasonal references as generic. The same thing happened with the beta release of Yosemite. People were parsing the statement that there would be beta releases this summer, and freaking that the first didn't come until mid-August, when summer was coming to a close.

Done here and moving on.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
In my country Fall or September is generally considered September the first onwards.

You must be on the metric system or something. :D

Fall has been used to describe after Labor Day (unofficial end of summer) in the US for forever.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You must be on the metric system or something. :D

Fall has been used to describe after Labor Day (unofficial end of summer) in the US for forever.

Yeah, after Labor day kids are in school and summer vacations have ended. It may not be official but for the most part everyone I know considers the beginning of Sept to be the start of fall.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Most people in the US (me) typically see the seasons as:

Fall > Sept/Oct/Nov
Winter > Dec/Jan/Feb
Spring > Mar/Apr/May
Summer > Jun/Jul/Aug

At least I think that would be the general consensus, even if not technically accurate

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Most people in the US (me) typically see the seasons as:

Fall > Sept/Oct/Nov
Winter > Dec/Jan/Feb
Spring > Mar/Apr/May
Summer > Jun/Jul/Aug

At least I think that would be the general consensus, even if not technically accurate

Exactly what I was about to type, and exactly how I teach it to my students.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Fall > Sept/Oct/Nov
Winter > Dec/Jan/Feb
Spring > Mar/Apr/May
Summer > Jun/Jul/Aug
That's what I go by, its so much simpler and the weather tends to fall into place with this as well, i.e., coldest months are Dec/Jan/Feb, hottest are Jun/Jul/Aug etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.