Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Facing Backlash Over New MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjjoseph, Nov 4, 2016.

1. jjjoseph macrumors 6502

Maybe Apple will finally listen?

I heard a tech insider say since Steve's passing Apple has to innovate for the sake of innovation.. Make something different by any means necessary, even if their users don't need it. INNOVATE OR DIE, was kinda the motto. The reason is that Apple is 100% dependent on their stock value now to survive, their INNOVATIVENESS is their only perceived value.. If SAMSUNG or another phone company decides to make a decent phone, apple will have a run for its money. Tim Cook was the bean counter that made a Jobb's 1billion dollar idea into 2billion in profit, hence the outdated overpriced hardware on the perception of INNOVATION.

Interesting article on the backlash of this business model.

LINK TO ARTCILE.
    http://investorplace.com/2016/10/apple-inc-aapl-stock-new-macbook-pro-iplace/

2. jerryk macrumors 68030

You are correct about the innovation part. Even with good earnings the stock has been slipping. I don't know if I would attribute that to the MacBook. More the iPhone 7 which was a just a logical upgrade. Seem like no more defining of new categries (iPod) or great re-thinkings.

Microsoft seems more innovative to me than Apple right now. They are taking chances, and defining new devices and new markets.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

4. Starlock macrumors member

Starlock

Interesting article. I would love to see an Apple that improved its listening and communication with its customers. BUT having been a very long time Apple fan I doubt much we will see much change in this area.

5. chabig macrumors 68040

Microsoft is following in Samsung's footsteps, throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. So far, not much has.

6. powertoold macrumors 6502

Lol, the stock price isn't going to be affected much by macs. It's mostly because they didn't exceed expectations on the last earnings.

Also, stock prices rarely have anything to do with anticipated product quality. The touch bar Mbps haven't even been released.

7. Macalway macrumors 68020

That's just a theory. They actually may be a bit smarter than that. In other words; are a few steps ahead of this train of thought.

Than again, who knows what their core MO is. Maybe that article is right. Maybe not.

I personally just wonder if Johnny Ive is taking over the company and we are going into a psychedelic era :D

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yes but that's not necessarily a good thing. If Apple were doing the same as MS, while maintaining the same amount of flopped/discontinued products as MS, then people here would be moaning about how Apple lack vision, discipline, and focus.

Apple take their time and then go into a product category when they're completely ready. Plus people are comparing 5 years of Cook to 10 years of Jobs. Time will be a truer judge.

9. jerryk macrumors 68030

I disagree. Azure is becoming the big cash cow at Microsoft (double sales from previous year). It is one reason that the stock is trading at all time highs.

And devices like the Surface Studio is getting rave reviews from people that work in the creative world.

10. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Can you please share some of these rave reviews?

11. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

What? Have you been to a university campus lately? The Surface line has completely replaced the market share MacBook Airs used to dominate. They're everywhere.

Quite why Apple would spend 15 years curating a student following and then abandon it is beyond me.

12. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

+1 I took a nice beating and I knew it was gonna happen but will hold on to my stocks for a little while longer to see it go up.

Traders don't care whether you get Skylake or Land O'Lake CPU with 50GB of RAM...the slip was due to company performance vs expectations, some of which is ridiculously stupid analysis/benchmarks.

13. Pootmatoot, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016

Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

Apple stock is a pretty dangerous thing for the vast bulk of people to own: Apple is uniquely vulnerable due to having all their eggs in very few baskets.

Samsung was structurally ok with the Note disaster because they have their fingers in so many pies - if that happens to the iPhone 8? Apple will survive due to their massive reserves, but the core business could face a cliff-drop.

14. jjjoseph thread starter macrumors 6502

I couldn't agree more. How many SAMSUNG products are inside of Apple iPhones right now? I don't remember the last time I checked, they have been trying to get replace them with their own for a while, but I would imagine its quite a few. And their class action lawsuits back and forth remind of when Apple and Microsoft used to go at it. Then Apple avoided bankruptcy by being saved by Microsoft. Bill Gates $150 million dollar investment becomes worth $21.86 billion?

Its all interconnected but Apples STRIKING gold with the iPhone needs to be diversified, and keeping the once loyal Apple users, for me, PRO USERS, happy is part of it, but I feel like its a bigger game, that the people who are buying their products aren't part of anymore.

15. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

I couldn't disagree more. From a financial risk and exposure, AAPL is one of the safest parking places for your cash. Again, there is way more to companies than iPhone colors they release...This isn't a technical product debate, this is strictly about their stock price.

16. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

Why do you think that? I've not read anything in the FT or similar quality financial press that doesn't think of Apple as a slightly inexplicable bubble balanced on a castle of matchsticks. There's no business on Earth that is so tied to the cycle success of so few products. It's double-downed for Apple, because they're not selling oil, they're selling a fashion product... and we all know the whims of fashion.

Nokia had a far greater market share than Apple: it can evaporate over-night. Apple in not diversifying in a market of fierce competitors.

17. spacebro macrumors 6502

There are trading algorithms doing sentiment analysis on this very thread to decide on buying or selling apple stock. Of course the backlash is affecting stock prices. People are rightfully pissed at apple for charging too much, not having performance, and lacking features. It looks like most apple customers are pissed whether they wanted a cheaper base model or super expensive performance options. The only people who seem to be ok with this macbook refresh are people who would make excuses for apple no matter what they do.

18. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Lol

Samsung the biggest conglomerate in the world and Microsoft whose new OS has 300 million users alone. Poor them.

19. jjjoseph thread starter macrumors 6502

I think Apple will have SOLID stock, their are too many iPhone users to disagree with it, and every time their stock goes down, if you buy, your getting more bang for you buck, but that is not where Apple wants it to go. Apple has traded at about 1/5th to a 1/7th of Alphabet. BUT Apple has been very profitable in the past, which is great, but I feel like they want to get more stock value.

I guess the perception is world dominance, in Alphabets case, a piece of every pie, Search/Browsing, Desktop, Cloud, Email, Apps, and Virtual Cloud Computing and storage makes you more valued, but maybe Tim Cooks idea is to be more profitable? Not worry so much about world domination?

Apple has not invested much if anything in its CLOUD, its storage and features are for toddlers. Its email and browser have always been front end, it moved away from servers and being a primary email host. Apple has stayed as a front end consumer tech product company, but just front end. Not much in that virtual internet thing..

So I mean for me as a consumer and someone who invests in stock, its FINE stock, but not GREAT stock. I'm not saying Alphabet is great by any means.. Its just all a little mehh, mirky at the moment.

20. spacebro macrumors 6502

I would sell any apple stock and put it somewhere like microsoft or google. Apple is trying too hard to innovate, they're trying too hard to increase profits, and they are turning their back on their loyal customers who need powerful machines and will pay any price short of 5 figures. I'm a mac user who was planning on getting an iphone next phone upgrade, but now I'm looking to completely leave the apple ecosystem. I'm getting out- actively looking for a keyboard replacement, pc compatible trackpad, pc comatible time capsule, new router, and probably a pc laptop of some sort. There will be no more performance macs. Apple tells us "talk to the hand" so why stick around?

21. jerryk macrumors 68030

I have the stock of many tech companies and have for years. They all go up and down, but Apple and Microsoft are the two I favor now. I still like Alphabet, but worry that they are too fractured. When i go to the plex people seem to be working in all directions, with a lot in opposition to each other, and projects seem to be hot one day and out the next. Also, a lot of top talent seems to have left in the last few years.

Microsoft has this same tension, but they have a narrower vision of focusing on the cloud and windows, in that order.

Apple also has a vision that seems to be consumer products, but migrating toward data services front-ended with Siri type interfaces.

Interesting times.

22. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

How do you like your Windows phone? Oh wait.

23. Ries macrumors 68000

If MS had released something like a "Microsoft Studio" out of nowhere holy crap that is sexy phone this year, Apple would properly have had a bloody nose.

24. jerryk macrumors 68030

Never liked the Windows phone because I never liked Nokia. Love the interface though. But I am not a huge fan of the iPhone either. Android for me, maybe? It was going to be the Note 7, but ....

25. DanielDD macrumors 6502

Well, Google is far worse. Both companies have tried to diversify, and Apple services have been growing in the past. But these things take time