Apple Increases Share of U.S. Smartphone Activations in Q2

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

During the second quarter of 2018, spanning from April to June, Apple's iPhones accounted for 36 percent of total U.S. smartphone activations, an improvement over last year's numbers where iPhone activations accounted for just over 30 percent of total activations, according to new numbers shared today by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners [PDF].

More customers are choosing iPhone over Samsung devices this year, and Apple's higher number of activations came at Samsung's expense. During the quarter, Samsung devices were also responsible for 36 percent of new activations, but for Samsung, that's a solid decline from last year.

[​IMG]
    Apple devices and Samsung devices are the dominant brands, due to ongoing consolidation of the U.S. market. LG and Motorola, for example, have lost ground to Apple and Samsung over the course of the last year.

When it comes to operating systems, iOS and Android are, by far, the dominant operating systems in use. iOS accounted for 36 percent of activations during the quarter, while Android, which runs on an array of different smartphones from multiple manufacturers, accounted for 63 percent of U.S. activations.

[​IMG]

Compared to last year, iOS's share of activations grew, with CIRP citing increased customer loyalty to their operating system of choice. Given the sheer number of Android devices compared to iOS devices, it's not surprising Android devices are responsible for approximately two thirds of activations.

Consumer Intelligence Research Partners regularly shares these surveys to monitor the state of the smartphone market. Findings are based on a survey of 500 subjects who activated new or used phones during the April to June 2018 period.

Article Link: Apple Increases Share of U.S. Smartphone Activations in Q2

2. KPandian1, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018

KPandian1 macrumors 65816

The colors are reversed in the second graph - had me stumped for a bit.

3. Jakewilk macrumors regular

Wow, that’s really rough for Samsung who literally JUST released the s9. No surprises though since it was practically the same phone as the s8. Also a lot of other Android phones like the pixel 2 are quickly becoming more attrative options than anything Samsung is putting out these days. It seems that gimmicks aren’t selling as well as they once were

4. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

Funny thing is the Samsung phone upgrades are more important than the iPhone ones because you get stuck on an old, vulnerable Android version pretty quickly if you don't get a new phone.

5. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Hmmm. Did Sammy really just release the S9 or did it go a little more like this:
    Samsung had 42% activations in the Mar QTR - the quarter where they released the S9. Apple had 31% during that QTR. The next QTR when they had nothing new, Sammy lost 6% share of activations while Apple gained 5%. What that tells me is Apple has more stable sales year round. I think both companies know that. Probably why Apple typically has a single Fall intro and Samsung has a Spring and a Fall intro approx 6 mths apart to keep sales from ebbing and flowing too much.

Google's Pixels are akin to Microsoft's Surfaces. High brand awareness, low actual sales. Neither has ever been out of the "Other" categories. Neither probably will be either... at least for a long time. I personally like both brands, but that doesn't change the fact that they are more brand than sales.

tl;dr Samsung and Apple lead. Sammy didn't have it as rough as you seem to think.

6. TimmeyCook, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018

TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

Wow! Apple had more marketshare in June '18 than in September '17 (iPhone 8 launch, iPhone X announcement)?

Really bad signs for Android. In June, Apple models are decisively old, and the most popular Android models in the US are much newer.

Or is it?

The reality is that CIRP is trash, and moved their calendar to suit their agenda in September 2017, to make Apple look bad.

That's an awful company whose results shouldn't be taken seriously, but that's just me...

7. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Samsung is doomed? Finally! :p

But seriously... they're still tied with Apple in US activations. And they're far ahead of all other Android OEMs... combined.

Samsung's sales have dropped a bit from last year. That's for sure. But I can't imagine anyone else taking their spot on this US list.

8. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Any world wide figures? I am curious about Germany or the UK for instance were you need to sell your body to buy an iPhone

9. threesixty360 macrumors 6502

Basic economics can’t be escaped. The long run position in any market will always see the profits wiped out of for any company that can’t sufficiently differentiate itself.

Why buy a Sony vaio for $1500 if dell can sell you an XPS for $700 that does essentially the same things and runs the exact same windows OS?

Fast forward to 2018 and why buy a Samsung s9 for $900 dollars if Plus One or even google themselves can sell a similar thing for $500 dollars running the Exact same Android OS?

As the market drives android prices down and down they will not be able to afford the innovation that Apple will be able to put into their products. Which is why the windows laptop/desktop market stagnated. Companies could only survive by putting bloatware on their machines which made them even worse.

This is the beginning of a downward spiral that will be uncontrollable. There is no way out for Android OEM’s. I guarantee in 5 yrs time Apple will be able to put products out that none of them will be able to match properly.

It’s not because Apple are so much better. It’s just that Apple will be able to afford to and no one else will.

The lesson is: you think apple are expensive. Fine. However if you value innovation be careful what you wish for.

10. acorntoy macrumors 65816

Only 500 people were interviewed? That’s a ridiculously small sample size for something they then try to translate to millions.

11. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

Fair point kinda, but Android upgrades are a mess regardless of what device is owned. In general, a phone is as vulnerable as it’s OS.

12. Jakewilk macrumors regular

I think the fact that Apple was up 6 percentage points on Samsung in the spring quarter as compared to last year actually does say a lot about the s9. That to me translates to 6 percentage points less phones as compared to the s8, which is something like 15% less phones. If the launch of the s9 couldn’t even give Samsung a strong quarter, then imagine what the next quarter will look like. I don’t know, I’m no expert but that’s how I’m reading the data

13. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

You're ignoring the whole picture. Where you're only looking at YoY June v June quarter, you're completely ignoring the previous YoY Mar v Mar quarter where they were up substantially. So if you can't look at the whole picture, you really can't read the data properly. BTW, the launch of the S9 gave Samsung a very strong quarter. I'm not sure what data you're looking at that says otherwise.
    Starting Mar 2017 Both Apple and Samsung were up and down each successive quarter. You don't need to be an expert to see that. When Apple was up, Samsung was down. When Apple was down, Samsung was up. For every quarter shown, that was the case. You can't read anything more than that from what's presented.

14. Cloudkicker macrumors 6502

Cloudkicker

Yeah, the notch is quite like that.

15. Jakewilk macrumors regular

First of all chill out, this was not meant to be an argument. Second of all the title of the article is literally “Apple Increases share of of US Smartphone Activations in Q2”. Also the data table you’re referring to is mislabeled, as stated by an above commenter. Samsung and Apple should be switched, or else it would be saying that the s9 launch was stronger than the s8 launch, which is definitely not true by any means

16. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

It's a discussion. One which you may discontinue at any time. No one is forcing you to reply. No one claimed the data is mislabeled. Please go back and read what KPandian1 actually stated. He said the colors are reversed in the second graph - making it a confusing read. I hope you realize that switching the Apple and Samsung data would mean Samsung had more December quarter activations than Apple. December. In the US. Apple's largest quarter every year. That would be darn near impossible.

17. Jakewilk macrumors regular

Ah, I see; you’re right, but please do chill out, you’re not making this, “just a discussion”. Your diction is quite aggressive

18. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

I'm chill. I'm always chill. You are right though, there is an aggressiveness to my writing style. It's not going to change. I've always had it and it's served me well. You feeling it's not just a discussion when it is just a discussion... I can't change how feel.