Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by lPHONE, Jan 6, 2011.

1. lPHONE macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

I think the "Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion" is a potentially important forum that doesn't get much viability down there at the bottom. Personally, I think it should be above news and articles.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why? Provide a well-reasoned argument. AII is for things that don't fit anywhere else; not for things that are "the most important topics on the site", which are clearly the news items.

3. lPHONE thread starter macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

I just think Apple and industry discussion not only encompasses every single article ever posted on the front page, but all stuff that isn't posted.
    Look, I fetch $75-$125 an hour as a consultant, but it's not my job to change the minds of those of which are already made up. If you try it and it doesn't work, what have you lost?

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We use the main news forums for articles posted on the front page and Page 2. Many of the other threads about Apple are specific to a product or service so they have more specific forums to reside in. What's leftover are the general threads about Apple, e.g., what it's like to work in an Apple retail store, what Apple's competitors are up to, etc.

Since that's a catchall category that wouldn't have a huge number of threads, we combined it with threads about the computer and consumer electronics industries. Mixing in a third subject, Internet discussion (e.g., web technology, domain names, web sites) was another way to consolidate our "miscellaneous" areas.

I understand your point that the title applies to much of what this site covers. Putting this triple-purpose forum under "Community Discussion" wasn't 100% ideal since Community Discussion is the area of MacRumors that isn't focused on Apple, yet many of the threads in this forum are about Apple. But it helped reduce the total number of forum categories, which had become a problem. Every forum organization had advantages and disadvantages and we've revised it a few times.

The Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion forum has only about 5000 threads, many fewer than most of the hardware and software forums. But there's also a chicken-and-egg situation. If a forum is featured it's likely to get more threads and if it gets more posts it's more likely to be featured. Still, overall we think the forum has to take a backseat to the others.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you work as a consultant, you should know better than to suggest a change in something before you understand why it's being done the way it is. It's entirely possible the site leaders have reasons that you haven't thought of. Unless the change accomplishes a specific desired improvement, it's simply change for the sake of change. Too many "consultants" bilk their customers out of money by doing exactly this, giving the rest of us a bad name.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Did someone pay you $75-125 for advice like this?

My mind isn't made up, just nobody has ever put forth a convincing argument for changing it. Try harder.

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

As a regular poster there, I think its fine where it is.

8. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I don't think where a sub-forum is placed on the site changes how seriously it is considered.

Wait, does that make sense? I hope it does!

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Maybe nobody will notice your comment since it was further down the thread than the previous comments! :cool:

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

As someone who lurks more than posts, I think it needs to stay where it is now.

11. lPHONE thread starter macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

how many people do you think will read your comment? i guarantee it's less than this entire thread's views.

12. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, probably. But users have their favourite sub-forums that they visit most often, and some that they may never visit. They'll go to those places no matter where they are linked to on the main page.

13. lPHONE thread starter macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

You're right, this is the stupidest idea ever.
    If they put this forum at the top, it won't change anything.