Apple Inks Deal for Ed Sheeran 'Songwriter' Documentary

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today won an auction for world screen rights to "Songwriter," a documentary about popular singer Ed Sheeran, reports Deadline.

Apple paid "low to mid-seven figures" for the rights to the documentary, and the company plans to make it an event release that will include a theatrical component along with a debut on Apple platforms.

[​IMG]

"Songwriter" was directed by Murray Cummings, Sheeran's cousin, and it is said to be an "intimate, beautifully photographed" documentary that covers the creation of Sheeran's best-selling "Divide" album.

The film offers a glimpse inside the "intense collaborative process" that resulted in some of Sheeran's biggest hits, and it provides a look back at Sheeran's childhood through never-before-seen footage.

Along with Sheeran, the documentary will feature legendary producer Benny Blanco and musicians that include Amy Wadge, Johnny McDaid, Ryan Tedder, and Julia Michaels.

The documentary first premiered in Berlin, and tonight, will be shown at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York.

Article Link: Apple Inks Deal for Ed Sheeran 'Songwriter' Documentary

2. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Oh dear. Another bandwagon-jumping exercise in trying to be relevant.

I guess the ginger busker is laughing all the way to the bank.

3. terrapinjess macrumors member

terrapinjess

4. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

Someone whose career started seven years ago needs a documentary already?

5. -BigMac- macrumors 65816

-BigMac-

My girlfriend will actually lose her mind over this.

6. DeepIn2U macrumors 601

DeepIn2U

Gotta give the talented ginger that ... he didn’t sell out for mega fame and dollars (when it wasn’t really needed) liken drake did.

FUI drake was heavy on Blackberry famed for writing lyrics on the QWERTY. Then 3mths silence 1 photo before Watch official announcement and Drake is on Apple. Watch, iTunes charting records hits all history moving on. That’s how the industry works.

7. SigurTom macrumors newbie

SigurTom

8. djcerla, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018

djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

More like succeeding in being relevant.

9. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Apple had to come up with a Plan B once they found out Sheeran had already been on the original Carpool Karaoke with James Corden.

10. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

11. iMac-Do-You? macrumors member

Most of the comments already made are biased towards negativity. Seriously, why bother commenting? If the guy, or Apple themselves, are not your bag, just scroll on by and go about with your day.
    Ridiculous.

12. CodexMonkey macrumors member

1/ I guess by "Ginger" you mean that as an insult, as the colour of one’s hair is directly related to their ability to be talented?
    2/ I guess by "Busker" you mean that as an insult, as in "someone who stands and plays a guitar, usually other people’s songs". Or do you actually mean "someone who stands and plays guitar but writes their own songs" like, say, Bob Dylan, or Joni Mitchell, or Van Morrison, or Joan Baez, or Johnny Cash, or Neil Young, or Leonard Cohen, or Tom Petty, or Carole King (I got bored and gave up)...?

Yeah, I get ya. Talentless Blonde/Brunette/Red/Grey/Smoky/Mauve/Salmon-Haired buskers the lot of ’em. Bet they’re ALL laughing all the way to the bank. What has the world come to when people like that get documentaries about them and others (I’m looking at you, Kajagoogoo) barely get a look in..?

13. just.jon macrumors newbie

just.jon

14. jdclifford macrumors 6502

What's next? Maybe a Lifetime Achievement Award?

15. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 65816

H3LL5P4WN

http://littleatoms.com/film-music/ed-sheeran-killing-music
    --- Post Merged, Apr 24, 2018 ---
    "The film offers a glimpse inside the "intense collaborative process" that resulted in some of Sheeran's biggest hits..."

Last I checked, actual artists write and perform their own songs. Corporate-produced products "collaborate."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/÷_(album)

16. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

This is America my friend. We have the right to put our bags anywhere we like.

17. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

Is this a second documentary? I saw one on HBO or Showtime 6 months ago, and from the description it sounds like the exact same thing.

Edit: Maybe I saw the "Nine Days and Nights of Ed Sheeran."

18. CodexMonkey macrumors member

To be clear, I am no huge Ed Sheeran fan, to be honest, (he’s OK) but almost every artist in history has been accused of plagiarism because of the limited number of notes, keys and progressions. Everyone from Led Zeppelin (Stairway to Heaven) to The Beatles (Come Together), George Harrison (My Sweet Lord), the Bee Gees (How deep is your love) and many, many more. An accusation does not make any one of these people instantly talentless. And, like the others, Sheeran has written hundreds of songs, a very limited few of which (by law of averages) have sounded like tracks by other artists. Many, many more have not.

Again, was John Lennon talentless because be 'collaborated' with Paul McCartney (and George Martin)? Or Mick because he 'collaborated' with Keith. Or Queen who 'collaborated' with each other. John Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora? Bono and Edge? Indeed, John/Mick/Freddie were nowhere near as successful writing alone as they were when they 'collaborated' with others, which only goes to show how difficult it is for ANY solo artist to be consistently awesome (not you, Kate Bush, you can sit down. And you, Prince. Michael Jackson can kneel on the chair). And that’s before I go anywhere near Holland/Dozier/Holland or anything Motown. Even the artists who get sole songwriting credit 'collaborate'. Did Michael Jackson write the guitar solo for 'Beat It'? No, that was Eddie Van Halen. Did he even write the guitar Riff? No, that was Steve Luthaker. Or the drums? No, that was Jeff Porcaro. These people were not brought in to just play what Michael told them to play - a chimp can do that. They were brought in because of what they could bring to the song. And what about Quincey Jones? Did he just sit there looking pretty or did he advise on notes, melodies, lyrics, structure, dynamics, tone and overall feel and mix..?

To say that 'actual artists write and perform their own songs' is a very uneducated statement. If you want to see 'intense collaborative process' watch 'A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica' and look them creating their Black Album with Bob Rock and how many arguments he has with them about changing lyrics, melodies, riffs, structure, solos etc. Or look at Back in Black by AC/DC (Mutt Lange) - both these albums were full-on 'collaborations' between the band AND the producer. That’s why you bring in a good producer. It why producers get recognition for the albums they produce. Both TBA and BIB would be much, much weaker efforts without that 'corporate-produced collaboration' you seem so keen to sneer about.

19. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

TIL Ed Sheeran still uses a MacBook Air when he should be using one of Apple’s newer offerings, and since it’s copyright 2018, the picture isn’t old.

20. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 65816

H3LL5P4WN

Your first paragraph confuses "collaboration" with "being a band."

Your second paragraph continues your misguided logic.

As for the Black Album, and all subsequent output prior to Rock being kicked to the curb where he belongs, it likely would have been much, much better if Flemming Rasmussen had been there.

Your second paragraph continues your misguided logic.

21. CodexMonkey macrumors member

Better in whose opinion? Yours or the 16 million people who bought it?

I can see you believe yourself to be more important and ‘relevant’ than 16 million people. Nice. Please continue sharing your knowledge with the world. We’re all much poorer without it.

22. iMac-Do-You? macrumors member

Actually "this" is the Internet, which exists outside just America (even if you'd like to not think so), and "this" is also a worldwide accessible website.
    Nice job on quoting me and completely not answering my point though. Are you a politician per chance?

23. ignatius345 macrumors 65816

99% of the time I would agree with you, but I was in a pizza place the other day and had to hear an entire Ed Sheeran song and it made me want to gouge out my earholes.

24. criticasm macrumors member

Ed Sheeran hasn't just been accused, he been sued & lost. Or last year when folks realised the similarity Shape of You had with No Scrubs, he adds credit to those songriters to fend off a potential lawsuit. Pretty cunning move too because it also prevented them from getting a cut of royalties during the songs peak period of sales.

Song plagiarism isn't about the lyrics or music as said there's only so many words & notes. It's about melody which why is those 3 examples you mentioned only My Sweet Lord was found libel. It's also why the Blurred Lines suit was upheld, Tom Petty & Jeff Lynne were additionally credited with Stay with Me (Sam Smith) and Coldplay settled with Joe Satriani etc.

Who cares that he's written dozens of crappy songs when it's the one's that are hits & drive albums that sound awfully familiar because people have heard it before.

25. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Sorry. I didn’t realize I was on www.macrumors.brexitland