Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that it has signed a series order for anthology series "Roar," which is set to star Nicole Kidman, Cynthia Erivo, Merritt Wever, and Alison Brie. "Roar" is described as an "anthology series of darkly comic feminist fables."

Apple-TV-Ray-Light-2-Teal.jpg

The show comes from "GLOW" creators Liz Flahive and Carly Mensch, who have an overall content deal with Apple TV+. "GLOW" was a wrestling comedy series on Netflix that was cancelled amid the pandemic last year.

"Roar" is based on Cecilia Ahern's book of short stories and it will consist of eight half-hour episodes that are each told from a female point of view. The book that the series is based on features 30 stories of women exploring different absurd contradictions or issues in their lives.

Article Link: Apple Inks Deal for 'Roar' Series Starring Nicole Kidman and Alison Brie

EgbertAttrick

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
I was really hoping this was a series based on the infamous movie of the same name. Would personally love to see Allison Brie and Nicole Kidman in an ongoing series in which they are simply filmed hanging out with actual lions and tigers. Oh, well.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007

Apple today announced that it has signed a series order for anthology series "Roar," which is set to star Nicole Kidman, Cynthia Erivo, Merritt Wever, and Alison Brie. "Roar" is described as an "anthology series of darkly comic feminist fables."

Apple-TV-Ray-Light-2-Teal.jpg

The show comes from "GLOW" creators Liz Flahive and Carly Mensch, who have an overall content deal with Apple TV+. "GLOW" was a wrestling comedy series on Netflix that was cancelled amid the pandemic last year.

"Roar" is based on Cecilia Ahern's book of short stories and it will consist of eight half-hour episodes that are each told from a female point of view. The book that the series is based on features 30 stories of women exploring different absurd contradictions or issues in their lives.

Article Link: Apple Inks Deal for 'Roar' Series Starring Nicole Kidman and Alison Brie
GLOW was (cancelled) one of the better Netflix original series so it's good the creators are jumping platforms. Hoping they bring the same great chemistry with Alison Brie to Apple TV+.

• Love
Reactions: Ar40 and javade

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Apple TV+ has a couple questionable choices in the content they've curated (the upcoming Cherry is apparently really bad), but overall they've done an amazing job picking movies and shows.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Apple TV+ has a couple questionable choices in the content they've curated (the upcoming Cherry is apparently really bad), but overall they've done an amazing job picking movies and shows.
Distribution rights aren't signed after screenings. That would be a bad move for the creators. Also, who would've thought the Russo brothers could drop the ball?

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Distribution rights aren't signed after screenings. That would be a bad move for the creators. Also, who would've thought the Russo brothers could drop the ball?
Anyone who watched You Dupree and Me. I'd watch a 30 minute comedy they were involved in though.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Apple trying to create a high quality brand for themselves with signing up with all the big name stars, but someone is out of touch with the modern world. Oprah, Kidman, Aniston, Witherspoon are all 90s. I don't hate on them but I think they lost popularity with new generation.

Sam Squanch

macrumors regular
May 10, 2018
Well, liking shows are subjective, what may be not great for you is loved by someone else. I have no expectations that I'm going to like everything that Apple will put out. I do however expect a certain quality that they demonstrated so far.
I can tell this show isn't going to be for me and will be a hard pass and we'll see if there is an audience for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.