Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has won the rights to "The Big Door Prize," a half-hour comedy based on M.O. Walsh's bestselling novel of the same name, reports Deadline. Apple was involved in a bidding war for the series, winning out over multiple other bidders.

Apple-TV-Ray-Light-2-Triad.jpg

The project, headed up by "Schitt's Creek" writer and executive producer David West Read, will consist of 10 half-hour episodes. Read is writing the adaptation and is set to serve as showrunner.

"The Big Door Prize" tells the story of the residents of a small town named Deerfield, who discover that there's a magical, destiny predicting machine in their local grocery store. From the novel's description:
What would you do if you knew your life's potential? That's the question facing the residents of Deerfield, Louisiana, when the DNAMIX machine appears in their local grocery store. It's nothing to look at, really-it resembles a plain photo booth. But its promise is amazing: With just a quick swab of your cheek and two dollars, the device claims to use the science of DNA to tell you your life's potential. With enough credibility to make the townspeople curious, soon the former teachers, nurses, and shopkeepers of Deerfield are abruptly changing course to pursue their destinies as magicians, cowboys, and athletes-including the novel's main characters, Douglas Hubbard and his wife, Cherilyn, who both believed they were perfectly happy until they realized they could dream for more.
"The Big Door Prize" comes from Skydance Television, a company that's also working with Apple on the upcoming Apple TV+ series "Foundation," which is based on Isaac Asimov's series of science fiction novels.

Article Link: Apple Inks Deal for 'The Big Door Prize' From 'Schitt's Creek' Writer

wigby

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
So… another crappy show on a crappy platform. Should I get my fake applause ready? Why can’t Apple give up on this and put the effort into the items that matter?
Nearly every one of their devices has a screen and speakers. What good is that stuff without content?

Reactions: Ar40

ericwn

macrumors G3
Apr 24, 2016
So… another crappy show on a crappy platform. Should I get my fake applause ready? Why can’t Apple give up on this and put the effort into the items that matter?

Oh what a load of negative bla for something nobody has been able to see yet. There’s plenty popular content on ATV already.

• Love

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Right. Because an almost 150,000 person company can only do one thing at a time.

Safe to complain about them not bringing the features we want to market, but don't think for a second that companies having different services and divisions means that focus is being taken from innovation on their core products.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
  • Angry
Reactions: Yammabot and Ar40

Kkspire

macrumors regular
May 19, 2016
Merely pettifogging as usual, you are. Don’t be such disgruntled Pelicans. We welcome the show, David.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.