Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has signed an exclusive first-look deal with Sharon Horgan, known for "Divorce" and "Catastrophe," reports Deadline.

The multi-year agreement covers all future projects that Horgan writes, and it follows the end of her deal with Amazon.

sharonhorganappletvplus.jpg
Image Credit: Chris Pizzello/Shutterstock

Apple's UK television division spearheaded the deal, with Apple's creative director of worldwide video, Jay Hunt, overseeing the project. Hunt has been previously linked to Horgan, as he commissioned "Catastrophe" for Channel 4 in the UK and Amazon in the U.S.

"Catastrophe" followed an Irish primary school teacher (played by Horgan) who meets an advertising executive. They have a short fling, and she later finds out that she's pregnant.

"Divorce," also created by Horgan, starred Sarah Jessica Parker and Thomas Haden Church as a middle-aged divorcing couple.

Horgan is already working on "Shining Vale," a half hour horror comedy and HBO Max show "Delilah," projects she had in the works prior to her deal with Apple. She is also set to star in "Game Night," an upcoming Amazon TV show.

Article Link: Apple Inks First-Look Deal With 'Catastrophe' and 'Divorce' Creator Sharon Horgan

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
I never saw a Catastrophe but Divorce was meh. And the 3rd season was only like 6 episodes.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
‘Catastrophe’ is actually an incredible comedy. One of the best. Apple TV+ has nothing so far that matches it.
I say this as someone who’s actually enjoying some of their shows.
Catastrophe was BRILLIANT and hilarious! I waited for each season hoping there would be one more! Alas, I think the 4th season was the final one. I can't wait to see ANY show she has a hand in writing and starring.
[automerge]1576811606[/automerge]
I never saw a Catastrophe but Divorce was meh. And the 3rd season was only like 6 episodes.
I never saw 'Divorce' -- never even heard of it until today -- but 'Catastrophe' was fantastic! If you have Amazon Prime, the series is included in Prime Video. Four excellent and hilarious seasons, all of the cast are very funny and work well together.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
Oh hell, yes. She's a rare talent. So sharp, so pointed, so funny.
[automerge]1576823076[/automerge]
Catastrophe was BRILLIANT and hilarious! I waited for each season hoping there would be one more! Alas, I think the 4th season was the final one. I can't wait to see ANY show she has a hand in writing and starring.
[automerge]1576811606[/automerge]

I never saw 'Divorce' -- never even heard of it until today -- but 'Catastrophe' was fantastic! If you have Amazon Prime, the series is included in Prime Video. Four excellent and hilarious seasons, all of the cast are very funny and work well together.
Catastrophe is pure genius. You know a show is good when you're pissed that there's not more episodes ;)

Roger47

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
I don’t know if you can get it in the US, but Sharon’s show Motherland on BBC Two is hilarious. Not sure why it wasn’t mentioned in the article - probably because Wikipedia hasn’t been updated.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.