Apple Insider: Apple wants to wipe Google off the map with iOS 6

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Dolorian, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

From the article:

Apple is not only disconnecting its native iOS 6 Maps app from Google's servers, but will also redirect all third party app requests to its own mapping servers, immediately taking the majority of mobile maps traffic away from Google as it forges new strategic partnerships for mapping.

Apple's new mapping software in iOS 6 marks an attempt by the iPhone maker to further marginalize its rival, Google. By taking away a significant source of traffic, Apple hopes it can help push Google quite literally off the map.

Source: Link

I wonder how much this move will affect Google and wether they will have, and if Apple will release, a separate Google Maps App in the store.

What do you think? This spells trouble for Google? Is Apple setting itself up for a fall?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It absolutely doesn't spell trouble for Google.

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Its definitely a blow but far from a knockout blow. Google will be more than fine as long as they remain paranoid and keep moving forward. After all, Microsoft is also gunning for them.

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Google absolutely needs Apple and Microsoft in the mobile and desktop arena. Android and Chrome are not enough to carry them.

Let's put it this way, is it good for Google if people migrate from Gmail to Outlook?

How about 90% of all iOS users using Apple maps only. Good for Google maps?

MSFT Office cloud and mobile; good for Google Docs?

Is Google going to go out of business over it? No. Does that sting and give investors cause for concern. Absolutely.

5. Dolorian thread starter macrumors 65816

Dolorian

They clearly do but with Microsoft pushing it's own search engine (made the default in IE) and maps solution on the one hand, and Apple pushing it's own maps solution and the idea of using Siri for search (which gathers results from sources other than Goole) in the other and with both pushing their cloud/syncing and email solutions...Google seems to be on track to have it's biggest sources of traffic/revenue either completely shut off or dramatically reduced on both sides.

It also seems that Google doesn't has the partnership options that Apple and Microsoft enjoy. Facebook and Twitter won't partner with Google, but we see them partnering with Apple (and we don't see Apple seeking to integrate Google+ into OS X and iOS).

Without a proper and popular desktop OS to fall back into, I wonder where all this will leave Google.

6. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

I'd put $1000 on Google working on a Maps app to submit to the App Store as we speak. I would not be surprised if it launched not too long after the new iPhone and iOS 6 are released. If Apple blocks it for any reason they'll be treading some dangerous water.

7. Funkmasta macrumors member

You are crazy if you think moving iOS users off gmaps isn't a huge blow.

Think about how many users that is.

More than 100 million lost users in one fell swoop.

8. Dolorian thread starter macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Yes Google will definitely release a Google Map App and I doubt that Apple will block it. But you won't be able to set the app as the default maps app and other third party apps will use Apple's maps app instead of Google Maps. The traffic Google gets from iOS due to Google Maps will be drastically reduced and mostly lost as the common user will just use the built in map app and won't bother to search and install Google's offering.

----------

It will definitely be a huge blow, iOS accounts for over 60% of the mobile marketshare. Given how fast the new iOS version is adopted by users, Google would be losing that 60% traffic/revenue they get from iOS via Google Maps rather fast.

9. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Very true. I hope Apple changes this policy in the future. I want Sparrow as my default email app and Chrome as my default web browser. Google will just have to offer something special to make people want to use a maps application over Apple's.

10. Dolorian thread starter macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Same here, I would love to have Sparrow and Chrome as my defaults. I have them as default in OS X but can't in iOS. I too hope that Apple allows this in the future.

That and Apple's maps app can end up not being as good as Google's. A friend of mine showed me the iOS 6 beta and he was complaining that the Apple Maps shows our country practically empty, with little to no streets marked. It is really useless in comparison to Google Maps.

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Apple Maps will have Siri integration, be embedded in iOS, and have turn by turn. Most iOS users will either be content, or too lazy to use Google maps. Figure that is an easy 50 million users down the drain right there.

If Apple decides to make Bing the default search engine, that's another 50 million users not looking at Google services every day.

It really just depends on how pissed off Apple is at this point. Figure, if they lose this Samsung trial, they are going to be gunning for blood and cutting Google's throat every chance they get.

12. dba415 macrumors 6502

I don't think google needs iOS maps. Android is already growing faster than iOS, the huge chunk of people lost using google maps are gained when people buy android.

13. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I'd say about 60% of people buying Android just want a cheap phone that looks nice. No offence to the Android market but I'd expect most users have no idea they own a "smartphone" so they will hardly use any of its features except email and IM.

14. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Google will just roll out their Map app in September. I'd like to see Apple deal a crushing blow but people are addicted to Google Maps.

15. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Maybe because there was Zero competition. :)

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It could also be said of the iPhone. Seniors & others have no clue. They just want an iPhone from Apple. Once they buy one they use it like a dumb phone. While there's a certain segment of the population that either can't or won't spend $199 on a phone, that's not the reason they end up with Android, it's because iOS & Android is all there's left after the decline of Nokia, SE, and the others.

It's the carriers that push Android since they make more profit per phone. The second reason is they are allowed to modify the Android OS to include carrier specific apps & the like.

I'm getting so sick of reading about how Apple wants to destroy Google & Samsung. Apple used to be a class act that one could enjoy being associated with. I was passionate about Apple, today they are on their own, I hardly want to be seen with their stupid iCrap. If not for my years of loyalty & residual hope that they put this outrageous attitude behind them, I'd walk away. Yet I'm so invested in computers & other iStuff that's basically excellent, it'd sure be a breath of fresh air to be able to read a positive headline instead of the acrimonious stuff we're seeing.

/rant

----------

You might feel that way now (and I am _not_ advocating for Google) but if all we had was an Apple monopoly that would be a horrid way to go. We are use to choices in the market place. It's essential.

17. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I'd have to disagree. iPhones aren't cheap. Most Android devices are. Thats why there is the rise in Android devices.

18. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'm not arguing with you.

A certain segment want cheap phones & Android is all that's out there with only a few exceptions like feature phones.

The point is simply in a wealthy major metro market, $199 is the price of iPhones & top of the line Androids as well. It's not a price sensitive market.

Heck I know many past iPhone users, not enthusiasts, that dumped their iPhones just in the last few months out of disgust surrounding Apples well publicized hate mongering. That's simply a fact many of us don't what to believe.

----------

Keep your head in the sand ... I'm not advocating for any company, but Apples Arrogance is going to come back to them, just watch. They're not the only ones with money.

19. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Just because someone has access to a service (google maps in this case) doesn't mean that they use it.

If they didn't use google maps then they won't use apple maps either.

So while it isn't great for Google you can't go saying that they lost the number of users of the total iOS user base - purely because not all of them will use maps.

20. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

You want to rely on Microsoft for search results? :confused:

21. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

I've met several people in the last few weeks who just got Android phones because the carrier pushed them so hard onto android. One person asked for an iPhone, but thought all smart phones are iphones.

They are told things like:
    Android isn't locked down
    Android is cheaper ($60 is typical)
    Android has a faster processor or more memory
    Android can be upgraded with more memory with a chip
    Android has a bigger screen or keyboard or whatever.
    Android is cheaper to insure ($7 mo vs $12 mo) (Though the carrier would never tell a consumer the Apple Care plan is a better deal than both of those.)

So the nieve consumer walks in asking for an iPhone and walks out with a Android.

Google is winning the phone market, but seems to be loosing the tablet market 7 to 1. Though most of those arguments above are the same for android tablets. I assume most poeple buying a tablet go to a target or bestbuy ask for a iPad and they don't get 'sold' on an Android although android tablets start at half the cost. Because in this case the cheapest device doesn't make the most money for the store and the employee isn't on commission.

Back to the Maps:
    Why does google care. It isn't overly obvious that the maps are provided by google. And google hasn't exactly monetized the maps. Apple is taking a load off googles shoulders at apple's expense. Now default search engine is a whole other story. But I doubt apple will switch. Here is why. Apple needs to keep google and MS balanced. MS is already quite the threat. Its in apples interest to make google and MS fighting for number two instead of fighting for number 1. That's one reason apple tries to get parts from different manufacturers.

22. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

This. I am so sick of apple trying to "bully" their way. Instead of trying to make their product better, they're wasting their time with this crap. I've about had enough, and I am on the edge of switching to android

23. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Whats the point of making you product the best it can be if someone else can just copy it?

24. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

Why because Samsung phones look like it? Get real.

Why don't you see BMW going after all these other car companies that mock their style of sedans? Especially the fin in the back above the rear window?

Do you see stapler companies go after each other because they all look the same? No? That's what I thought

25. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

love these posts. :D carry on.