Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Not gonna happen in an S update. Way too many differences in the screen technology required for Force Touch. A completely new tooling and assembly line would have to already be in place at Foxconn for this to make any sense.
What? A fingerprint sensor was placed behind the Home button with the 5s. Anything can happen. And it makes sense. The Apple Watch has Force Touch, it only makes sense to introduce it in the same year with the iPhone.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Not gonna happen in an S update. Way too many differences in the screen technology required for Force Touch. A completely new tooling and assembly line would have to already be in place at Foxconn for this to make any sense.
Apple doesn't put all their eggs in one basket in any given year so if Force Touch doesn't necessitate a design change it's most certainly possible they'll do it. In fact, it can be the only new thing with the 6s, just like Siri and TouchID on the 4S and 5s, respectively (more RAM would only be a silent update as Apple doesn't advertise RAM).

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
This article seems to be confusing force touch, the ability of the capacitive screen to differentiate between a touch and a press, with the “taptic engine” which is a slightly silly name for the haptic feedback vibrations in the Watch

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Apple doesn't put all their eggs in one basket in any given year so if Force Touch doesn't necessitate a design change it's most certainly possible they'll do it. In fact, it can be the only new thing with the 6s, just like Siri and TouchID on the 4S and 5s, respectively (more RAM would only be a silent update as Apple doesn't advertise RAM).
Force Touch would require a design change of some sort. Force Touch requires a flexible screen and attaches to the edge differently than current screens.

A tiny watch screen designed from the gound up to utilize force touch, is quite different than trying to retrofit the tech into a 5.5" of 4.7" screen. Like a said, a new tooling and assembly line would have to have already been set in place for this to be in the 6S. Ergo, likely won't happen in the 6S. I do see it in the 7 though.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Force Touch would require a design change of some sort. Force Touch requires a flexible screen and attaches to the edge differently than current screens.
I meant the same form factor. The 5s incorporates a different home button but it at least has the same form factor as the 5. As long as the 6s retains the same overall form factor (i.e., it keeps the rounded edges), I can see them doing it.

Mitsjke

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2015
Well probably Apple is going to change the internal design after all (6+), due the bending problems.

MacDevil7334

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I'm curious, what value does force touch really add to the iPhone? On the watch, it is needed because the tiny screen doesn't allow for most of the gestures that are possible on the bigger screens of the iPhone and the iPad. I can't really see force touch being the killer feature that changes how I use my phone the way Siri and TouchID were.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68030
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I'm curious, what value does force touch really add to the iPhone? On the watch, it is needed because the tiny screen doesn't allow for most of the gestures that are possible on the bigger screens of the iPhone and the iPad. I can't really see force touch being the killer feature that changes how I use my phone the way Siri and TouchID were.
Hit the nail on the head, I personally don't believe it would make a useful difference of how we use our devices. It makes sense on the Watch but we are talking about 4.7+ inch devices.

I'm still curious to see what the 'S' stands for in this year's upgrade. Every year (except the 3GS which Steve said stood for Speed) the S has had an almost silent meaning, for instance 4s (Siri) and 5s (Security).

ZEEN0j

macrumors 65832
Sep 29, 2014
There are multiple ways force touch could help. Force swipe left and right and you could jump between open application. Swipe up and down in maps and Safari to zoom in and out with one hand. Force hold to open multitasking. And this is just some examples I made up. Imagine a app developer or Apple. A third input is major.

MacDevil7334

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
There are multiple ways force touch could help. Force swipe left and right and you could jump between open application. Swipe up and down in maps and Safari to zoom in and out with one hand. Force hold to open multitasking. And this is just some examples I made up. Imagine a app developer or Apple. A third input is major.
I guess those are all possible usage cases. I don't know how force swiping to zoom would be better than the current double tap. In any case, none of these possibilities would be enough to make me run out and replace my current 6+.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hit the nail on the head, I personally don't believe it would make a useful difference of how we use our devices. It makes sense on the Watch but we are talking about 4.7+ inch devices.

I'm still curious to see what the 'S' stands for in this year's upgrade. Every year (except the 3GS which Steve said stood for Speed) the S has had an almost silent meaning, for instance 4s (Siri) and 5s (Security).
Whatever people will decide to attach to eat. Kind of like making something out of clouds in the sky.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 65832
Sep 29, 2014
I guess those are all possible usage cases. I don't know how force swiping to zoom would be better than the current double tap. In any case, none of these possibilities would be enough to make me run out and replace my current 6+.
You can't zoom out though. :)

Vundu

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Every new iPhone requires different tooling and assembly. Even the 4 to 4S the innards were moved around.

I agree it probably won't happen but not because of assembly reasons.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Safari smart zoom yes. But in maps double tap only zooms in. You need two finger tap or pinch to zoom out.
They (Google) have a way to do it in Google Maps, seems just Applr (and various other developers) didn't implement that for some unknown reason.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, I was really hoping for some camera upgrades. If they can do that I'd probably upgrade from my iPhone 6.

Matheew944

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2015
Major Camera upgrades will be for Iphone 7 to launch in 2016, 6S forget.

----------

6S will be the same 8 megapixel camera, and some LITTLE improvements