Apple Insider says 6S will get Force Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rogifan, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

2. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

What? A fingerprint sensor was placed behind the Home button with the 5s. Anything can happen. And it makes sense. The Apple Watch has Force Touch, it only makes sense to introduce it in the same year with the iPhone.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Apple doesn't put all their eggs in one basket in any given year so if Force Touch doesn't necessitate a design change it's most certainly possible they'll do it. In fact, it can be the only new thing with the 6s, just like Siri and TouchID on the 4S and 5s, respectively (more RAM would only be a silent update as Apple doesn't advertise RAM).

4. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

This article seems to be confusing force touch, the ability of the capacitive screen to differentiate between a touch and a press, with the “taptic engine” which is a slightly silly name for the haptic feedback vibrations in the Watch

5. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Force Touch would require a design change of some sort. Force Touch requires a flexible screen and attaches to the edge differently than current screens.

A tiny watch screen designed from the gound up to utilize force touch, is quite different than trying to retrofit the tech into a 5.5" of 4.7" screen. Like a said, a new tooling and assembly line would have to have already been set in place for this to be in the 6S. Ergo, likely won't happen in the 6S. I do see it in the 7 though.

6. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I meant the same form factor. The 5s incorporates a different home button but it at least has the same form factor as the 5. As long as the 6s retains the same overall form factor (i.e., it keeps the rounded edges), I can see them doing it.

8. Mitsjke macrumors member

Well probably Apple is going to change the internal design after all (6+), due the bending problems.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

There are no bending problems. They were overblown and even the 5/5s were affected.

10. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I'm curious, what value does force touch really add to the iPhone? On the watch, it is needed because the tiny screen doesn't allow for most of the gestures that are possible on the bigger screens of the iPhone and the iPad. I can't really see force touch being the killer feature that changes how I use my phone the way Siri and TouchID were.

11. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Hit the nail on the head, I personally don't believe it would make a useful difference of how we use our devices. It makes sense on the Watch but we are talking about 4.7+ inch devices.

I'm still curious to see what the 'S' stands for in this year's upgrade. Every year (except the 3GS which Steve said stood for Speed) the S has had an almost silent meaning, for instance 4s (Siri) and 5s (Security).

12. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

There are multiple ways force touch could help. Force swipe left and right and you could jump between open application. Swipe up and down in maps and Safari to zoom in and out with one hand. Force hold to open multitasking. And this is just some examples I made up. Imagine a app developer or Apple. A third input is major.

13. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I guess those are all possible usage cases. I don't know how force swiping to zoom would be better than the current double tap. In any case, none of these possibilities would be enough to make me run out and replace my current 6+.

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Whatever people will decide to attach to eat. Kind of like making something out of clouds in the sky.

16. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

You can't zoom out though. :)

17. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Every new iPhone requires different tooling and assembly. Even the 4 to 4S the innards were moved around.

I agree it probably won't happen but not because of assembly reasons.

18. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Sure you can. Just double tap a second time.

19. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

Safari smart zoom yes. But in maps double tap only zooms in. You need two finger tap or pinch to zoom out.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

They (Google) have a way to do it in Google Maps, seems just Applr (and various other developers) didn't implement that for some unknown reason.

21. Matheew944 macrumors regular

Just force touch? This wont make me upgrade from my current 6 Plus

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, it's very unlikely that it would be just one thing that's new/different.

23. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Yeah, I was really hoping for some camera upgrades. If they can do that I'd probably upgrade from my iPhone 6.

24. Matheew944 macrumors regular

Major Camera upgrades will be for Iphone 7 to launch in 2016, 6S forget.

----------

6S will be the same 8 megapixel camera, and some LITTLE improvements