apple intentionally crippled the X3100?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by asphyxiafeeling, Jul 13, 2008.

1. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

i found this while searching intel GPUs-

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91514

the second post in that thread says something about apple limiting the amount of RAM the X3100 can use to 144MB.

why would they do that? is it just the poor drivers they use, or did apple do this on purpose for some reason? is that why the X3100 in windows is so much better?

i realize that thread could be bogus but it was bothering me so i decided to ask MR!

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Why would an X3100 ever need more than 144MB of video ram?

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Thats the correct answer. The card really wouldn't be much better with 256MB or even 1GB of RAM behind it.

4. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

And pulling that much RAM away from the pool available to the OS and applications would make the entire system's performance suffer.

5. asphyxiafeeling thread starter macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

i see!

thank you guys for explaining. it clears things up. i had forgotten system RAM and video RAM were different in terms of performance.

at first i thought that limiting the usable ram to 144mb was crippling the machine.

if it doesn't make a difference, why does the X3100 behave better in windows? is that just apple's poor drivers VS intel's?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple's GMA X3100 isn't as refined as Intel's over on the Windows side. Not that the video card is spectacular to begin with.

7. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I would think intel publishes both drivers. Obviously, intel has a greater incentive to work on the windows drivers than than the os x driver.

8. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Here's what Apple has to say about integrated video on Intel-based Macs.

The GMA 950 allocates a base amount of 80 MB for video and boot processes at startup. The GMA X3100 allocates a base amount of 160 MB for video and boot processes at startup.

The story doesn't end there however. The "rest of the story" that most everyone seems to miss is that: "Depending on the application or task being accomplished, Mac OS X may make additional main memory available to the graphics processor for texture use beyond the base amount mentioned above. The most common types of applications that request more system memory to be used as graphics memory are 3D and graphics-intense applications. The most common task would be video mirroring or extended desktop."

9. asphyxiafeeling thread starter macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

haha, that's gotta be the like, 10th post i've seen from you saying the Intel GMA X3100 isn't good. (you always seem to say something like that when people ask about gaming on macbooks, in fact right when i posted this thread i thought, "oh that Eidorian is probably going to say something") :p

as far as integrated solutions go, the X3100 is actually ok. is it crap compared to a 8600M? of course. but i mean, it should be able handle light gaming fine.

world of warcraft? yes.
    EA's anticipated upcoming game Spore? yes (says EA).
    starcraft 2? i am 100% certain it'll work fine on it when released.

the upcoming X4500 is going to be even better! and then in the future... from what i've read, in a few years Intel may have integrated graphics cards that are better then dedicated ones!

thanks! that clears things up further.

i thought that myself. however, i've read several times that apple writes their own drivers for them. hmm...

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I get around. This is especially true when it comes to video cards or processors.

The amount of RAM isn't a significant performance bottleneck when it comes to integrated graphics. You're going to run into a lot more problems with the lack of plentiful shaders or memory bandwidth.

11. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Wouldn't put it past them. Putting a combo drive on a $1300 machine, it wouldn't surprise me.

How much of a performance boost do you get in Windows? I'm considering buying PC versions of all the games I own.

12. asphyxiafeeling thread starter macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

yes, of course. i meant no offense! :)

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're better off building a cheap PC then going Boot Camp on a Macbook.

I'd much rather have my old Radeon 9600 then the GMA X3100.

None was taken.

14. Jak3 macrumors regular

Very true.

You can make one for ~900-1300$ maybe less if you can find some good sales or "sweet spot" parts.

And then almost all computer games will run perfectly, no hassle.

If you're serious about gaming, Mac is not the place to be (yet...hopefully).

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

try like ~500

16. Jak3 macrumors regular

well, I was implying slightly more powerful components...and not those gimped out-of-the-box ones from Best Buy :(

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

me too. i get all my parts at newegg.com

you can buy a powerful computer for 500. this config i showed without monitor and upper end parts costs less than 600. you could easily save money on the graphics card to get it down to 500. also could save on the hd too if you wanted or psu or any of it.

also, this price config is a couple weeks old. probably cheaper now

Attached Files:

18. Jak3 macrumors regular

well, you should never include bargains in an estimate, because who's to say you will get that bargain.

I prefer setting high price points and then wowing myself when I'm underbudget rather than go "overbudget":cool:

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ooook. point is you dont need to spend 900-1300 to get a good computer

notice how 2 items had rebates for a total of 50 bucks.

also note you have a near top of line video card and a great processor and a good psu and decent amt of ram and a larger than standard hd

my config was to prove a point that you can build a high quality computer for relatively cheap lol

20. Jak3 macrumors regular

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

dang when did you get it?

i have a :

2.4 core2quad q6600 oc'd to 2.91
    4gig ram 800mhz
    500 gig hd
    8800gt 512 oc'd
    dual layer disk burner
    500 psu

for 900 and no rebates back in feb. the proc and graphics card have come down considerably since then

22. Jak3 macrumors regular

Well, the LCD is brand new (got it last weekend)

and the PC itself, some parts I bought last year, but wasn't able to get the rest until about feb of this year.

The Mobo is top of the line (one of the parts I got last year, ASUS Striker Extreme) which adds to the cost as well, PSU is 800W SLI certified and the case is bigger than normal because I hate small cases and the 8800GT is 1gig, not 512MB