Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Introduces App Store Resource Center for iPhone Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

In an e-mail sent today to registered iPhone developers, Apple announced the introduction of the App Store Resource Center (iPhone developer membership required), a new site within the iPhone Dev Center dedicated to assisting developers with the App Store application process.
We are pleased to introduce the App Store Resource Center, a single destination designed to make it easier for you to find details on everything you need to know about distributing your app on the App Store -- from how to prepare for app submission to managing your app once it's been posted.

Make sure you also check out the News and Announcements section of the iPhone Dev Center for tips on submitting your apps to the App Store, turnaround time for app review, new program features, and guidance on everything from development and testing to distribution and marketing.
Apple has received a significant amount of criticism from iPhone developers who have been frustrated by a lack of information, impersonal form letter e-mails offering minimal rejection explanations and little opportunity for dialogue with reviewers, inefficient processing of application resubmissions, and inconsistent application acceptances and rejections. The App Store Resource Center looks to be a new step taken by Apple in response to these complaints, offering to assist developers in guiding their applications through the approval process.

Article Link: Apple Introduces App Store Resource Center for iPhone Developers

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Apple has received a significant amount of criticism from iPhone developers who have been frustrated by a lack of information, impersonal form letter e-mails offering minimal rejection explanations and little opportunity for dialogue with reviewers, inefficient processing of application resubmissions, and inconsistent application acceptances and rejections.

Really ? Because *LTD* says everything is just dandy and the developers are pouring in.

I don't know what to believe anymore. :rolleyes:

Comment

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
So far I haven't seen any information in this "new" resource center that wasn't already on the developer site. I guess it is just somewhat more consolidated now.

Comment

sohelpme

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
Um, what?

This doesn't actually say ANYTHING about changing the actual app store approval process at all. There is no additional information about what criteria Apple is using to judge your application, or any mention of Apple providing more information as to when your application may be approved or rejected (as a global average is well, meaningless, to every app developer [the only ones who would care about this number are: 1) Apple marketing, 2) reporters], or any mention of whether Apple will provide more meaningful information as to why your app is rejected.

This sounds just like another feel-good marketing email to try to get some positive PR for Apple.

"Where's the beef?"

Comment

Shadow%20Mac

Contributor
Dec 28, 2007
California
ScreenShots

Here Ya Go

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-09-18 at 9.07.59 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-09-18 at 9.07.59 PM.png
    188.2 KB · Views: 1,063
  • Screen shot 2009-09-18 at 9.08.05 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-09-18 at 9.08.05 PM.png
    238.3 KB · Views: 971
  • Screen shot 2009-09-18 at 9.08.11 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-09-18 at 9.08.11 PM.png
    232.5 KB · Views: 1,022
  • Screen shot 2009-09-18 at 9.08.19 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-09-18 at 9.08.19 PM.png
    228.9 KB · Views: 963
Comment

RazHyena

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
USA
Umm................ok? The problem developers are having with IS THE ACTUAL APPROVAL PROCESS. This doesn't address it at ALL.

For crying out loud.... :mad:

Comment

rlvdijk

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
Apple Developer Connection - Site down, updating...

At the moment the Apple Developer Connection is down with the yellow post-it saying:

Attachments

• Afbeelding 5.png
    Afbeelding 5.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 78
Comment

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Hmmm doesn't let mr log in. Is this just for US developers? Or is the site down already

Comment

darrylhj

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
London, United Kingdom
Works fine in the UK.

As already mentioned this centre is basically a collection of material already on the apple developer site, just in a condensed form. I hope they expand this area to maybe show your position in a queue, or to provide feedback how to best expedite updates to applications.

I have noticed that the update cycle is much much shorter than the queue for new apps.

Comment

guet

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2003
A systemic problem

Anyone with experience of the approvals process knows it is completely broken - what they need to do is just scrap the whole thing and replace it with an automated service that tests apps load OK, checks for illegal API usage or calls to banned methods, impose a limit on apps submitted per developer account, and devote all the time their team of app reviewers have to investigating any customer complaints on rogue apps. That way they are more responsive to customer complaints, and don't get in the way of developers.

Any pretence at quality control is quite obviously a failure given the standard of some of the apps on the store, and the inconsistency of their reviewers is legend, so their stated reasons for having an approval process simply don't make sense. This web page adds absolutely nothing that developers didn't know already, and will be no help.

The app reviewers just can't keep up, and no matter how many people they throw at the problem, it's only going to get worse and worse. The process is broken, and that's what they need to address.

Comment

martin.treiber

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2009
Developer PR

Apple already started this PR thing a couple of days ago, when they put a note there saying that the majority (94%) of apps are approved within 14 days. Well, in my case, I'm in a very exclusive 6% club, since my app (iSENDu) was originally submitted on August 3rd and resubmitted on August 25th...

At first sight, a new web page seems like a typical PR move - saying: "Look, we are doing all we can to improve this. We are aware of your criticism and you can see that we already changed our web site to provide to provide all information you need". However, until there is no substantial change in the approval process (actual information about the reason for rejection, non-auto generated email responses), this is really nothing important. It's just like painting the same old rusty car with a new color.

Attachments

• Apple_Developer_Info.png
    Apple_Developer_Info.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 2,494
Comment

fat phil

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Apple already started this PR thing a couple of days ago, when they put a note there saying that the majority (94%) of apps are approved within 14 days. Well, in my case, I'm in a very exclusive 6% club, since my app (iSENDu) was originally submitted on August 3rd and resubmitted on August 25th...

At first sight, a new web page seems like a typical PR move - saying: "Look, we are doing all we can to improve this. We are aware of your criticism and you can see that we already changed our web site to provide to provide all information you need". However, until there is no substantial change in the approval process (actual information about the reason for rejection, non-auto generated email responses), this is really nothing important. It's just like painting the same old rusty car with a new color.

If that's so (94%) then it's awfully easy to fall into that 6%.

We've had two delays in the past, one for "legal" reasons because an app was based on a licensed IP, when one of the "Big" publishers also had an app released on the same license (the small guy gets held up while the big guy floats on in). Took us a week to prove we were a licensee. We were thinking it was a conspiracy - I mean, just look at all the ripoff IP apps; they go through, why not us with our legit app, eh?

The second delay was for a lite version of the same app, which was absolutely identical except for reduced functionality. The reason? The reviewers of the Lite version didn't like something that the reviewers of the Paid version were quite happy with (in fact they'd not complained about it for three updates). That Lite version took 4 weeks after the initial rejection email to eventually appear, after cryptic non-commital answers from the review department.

"Email us if you have any questions" doesn't mean they'll answer them.

Still, it's good to see information brought together into a single resource, even if it is no more than that - it's hard enough explaining to clients and new employees how the processes come together. But yeah, would be nice to have recourse when things go wrong: Why It Happens, And What To Do About It. Because it's not always as black and white as sticking to the obvious HI guidelines...

Comment

rchristai

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2009
iPhone Dev Center

I login but got an error said I don't have access. So.... I think it only work for people in the iphone developer program (who actually pay) and not open for public access.

Comment

fat phil

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I login but got an error said I don't have access. So.... I think it only work for people in the iphone developer program (who actually pay) and not open for public access.

I don't think it's working atm as the developer portal is down for maintenance/update. But it would make sense that it's only paid access anyway.

Comment

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Had my email last night, nothing really new but it's a lot clearer now and there really is a ton of info on the website... Another step in the right direction which has to be a good thing...

Comment

sarahbau

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2009

I am a paid developer, and I also got the no access error. Hopefully that's due to the site being down right now. Then again, Apple sent me no email about this new feature while others did get one. :confused:

Comment

dunpool

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
Anyone with experience of the approvals process knows it is completely broken - what they need to do is just scrap the whole thing and replace it with an automated service that tests apps load OK, checks for illegal API usage or calls to banned methods, impose a limit on apps submitted per developer account, and devote all the time their team of app reviewers have to investigating any customer complaints on rogue apps. That way they are more responsive to customer complaints, and don't get in the way of developers.

Any pretence at quality control is quite obviously a failure given the standard of some of the apps on the store, and the inconsistency of their reviewers is legend, so their stated reasons for having an approval process simply don't make sense. This web page adds absolutely nothing that developers didn't know already, and will be no help.

The app reviewers just can't keep up, and no matter how many people they throw at the problem, it's only going to get worse and worse. The process is broken, and that's what they need to address.

100% ack
Also throw in some automatic check for banned keywords instead of rejecting after months of waiting.

Comment

DrummerB

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2008
Most of this was already on the Program Portal. So, nothing new, just a redesign of the content and a new URL :(

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.