Apple Introduces New Collections for Both Apple Watch Series 1 and Series 2

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 7, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

During today's big media event, Apple unveiled the Apple Watch Series 2, with an emphasis on the wearable's swimproof and activity tracking features. To a lesser degree, the company mentioned the casing materials -- aluminum, stainless steel, and now ceramic -- and detailed new versions of its bands created with collaborator Hermès.

Interestingly, it didn't divulge any of the new versions of its own first-party bands and collections, of which there are quite a few. Below we'll list out each new collection of the Apple Watch Series 1 and Series 2 by case type. Unless specifically designated, each collection has both 38mm and 42mm sizes.

Aluminum Cases
    For aluminum, the pricing structure is as follows: $269 (38mm) and $299 (42mm) for Series 1 models, and $369 (38mm) and $399 (42mm) for Series 2 models.

Series 1 and Series 2 collections:

[​IMG]

- Silver Aluminum Case with White Sport Band
    - Gold Aluminum Case with Concrete Sport Band (38mm only)
    - Gold Aluminum Case with Cocoa Sport Band (42mm only)
    - Rose Gold Aluminum Case with Pink Sand Sport Band (38mm only)

[​IMG]

- Rose Gold Aluminum Case with Midnight Blue Sport Band (42mm only)
    - Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black Sport Band

Series 2 collections:

[​IMG]

- Silver Aluminum Case with Pearl Woven Nylon
    - Gold Aluminum Case with Yellow/Light Gray Woven Nylon (38mm only)
    - Gold Aluminum Case with Toasted Coffee/Caramel Woven Nylon (42mm only)
    - Rose Gold Aluminum Case with Light Pink/Midnight Blue Woven Nylon (38mm only)

[​IMG]

- Rose Gold Aluminum Case with Space Orange/Anthracite Woven Nylon (42mm only)
    - Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black Woven Nylon

[​IMG]

- Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black/Volt Nike Sport Band
    - Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black/Cool Gray Nike Sport Band
    - Silver Aluminum Case with Flat Silver/Volt Nike Sport Band
    - Silver aluminum Case with Flat Silver/White Nike Sport Band

Stainless Steel Cases
    Given the various bands included with stainless steel cases in these collections, pricing is more varied than the aluminum models. The collections start at $549 (Sport Band), $649 (Classic Buckle and Milanese Loop), $699 (Leather Loop and Space Black Milanese Loop), $749 (Modern Buckle), $949 (Link Bracelet), and $1049 (Space Black Link Bracelet).

Series 2 collections:

[​IMG]

- Stainless Steel Case with White Sport Band
    - Space Black Stainless Steel Case with Black Sport Band
    - Stainless Steel Case with Saddle Brown Classic Buckle
    - Stainless Steel Case with Midnight Blue Modern Buckle (38mm only)

[​IMG]

- Stainless Steel Case with Midnight Blue Leather Loop (42mm only)
    - Stainless Steel Case with Milanese Loop
    - Stainless Steel Case with Link Bracelet
    - Space Black Stainless Steel Case with Space Black Milanese Loop

[​IMG]

- Space Black Stainless Steel Case with Space Black Link Bracelet
    - Stainless Steel Case with Hermès Etoupe Swift Leather Double Buckle Cuff (38mm only)
    - Stainless Steel Case with Hermès Rose Jaipur Epsom Leather Single Tour (38mm only)
    - Stainless Steel Case with Hermès Fauve Barenia Leather Single Tour

[​IMG]

- Stainless Steel Case with Hermès Feu Epsom Leather Single Tour (42mm only)
    - Stainless Steel Case with Hermès Fauve Barenia Leather Single Tour Deployment Buckle (42mm only)
    - Stainless Steel Case with Hermès Etoupe Swift Leather Double Tour (38mm only)
    - Stainless Steel Case with Hermès Fauve Barenia Leather Double Tour (38mm only)

Ceramic Case
    Only available in one collection, the ceramic collection is available for $1249 (38mm) and $1299 (42mm).

[​IMG]

- White Ceramic Case with Cloud Sport Band

The Apple Watch Series 2, as well as the upgraded Series 1, will go on pre-order this Friday, September 9. After that, the wearable device will launch in more than 25 countries -- including the United States, United Kingdom, and Canada -- on September 16.

Check out the MacRumors event recap post for every piece of news from today's media event, including articles on the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, as well as details on the Apple Watch Series 2.

Article Link: Apple Introduces New Collections for Both Apple Watch Series 1 and Series 2

2. m.x macrumors regular

m.x

3. ForkHandles macrumors regular

ForkHandles

At £369 for a gps Apple Watch I think most sporty types will stick with their Garmin. At £269 you might tempt one or two.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The Apple Watch 2 definitely did not sway me as much as I thought it would. Still on the fence. Glad they got rid of the Apple Watch Edition. That was a joke. The ceramic looks interesting.

5. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Ridiculous that they are not offering a Series 1 Apple Watch in stainless steel at a lower price point. I was looking forward to that model sticking around with a lower price. Oh well.

6. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

Actually having to going through and organize all of this proved to me how insane it is that we can't just make our own collection. I would buy a Stainless Steel Case with Sea Blue Classic Buckle in 42mm but Apple doesn't think that's a good idea out of the gate I guess:\

7. NervousFish2 macrumors regular

NervousFish2

To me, the new watch makes good on the promise of the original apple watch concept. It is far more versatile now. People will want this. They generally DON'T want to wear a Garmin sports watch all day long. It has nothing like the interface, functionality, or (most importantly) style, of the Apple Watch. You would not go to a business meeting wearing a garmin. You would not go to a nightclub wearing a garmin. Whereas you absolutely would engage in these activities, wearing an apple watch.

As a swimmer, the new additions really make me think I should sell my stainless steel 42mm apple watch and upgrade... I mean, come on, after a workout the speaker spits out any water remaining on the driver. That's amazing!

Any guesses on how much I'd get for my stainless steel 42mm Apple Watch? Should I sell it on eBay, or Craigslist? Be interested in your views. Thanks!

8. coffeemadmanUK macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

Am I the only one to notice this?

So series 1 doesn't have a plug charger?

Attached Files:

9. mdellepi macrumors regular

Or the Gold Aluminum Case with Midnight Blue Sport Band that existed until today, when Apple decided that the Midnight Blue Sport Band must go exclusively with the Rose Gold Aluminum Case :confused:

10. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

Logic!

11. MH01 Suspended

MH01

I really like the ceramic option. It's a great material for a watch, just don't drop it.

12. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

Tons of options, and yet they all still look alike. My main complaints still stand:
    - Still too expensive
    - Edge-to-edge screen in a round face would be more stylish
    - Still no ability to *truly* customize the watch face however I (or 3rd party devs) see fit

I'm anxiously awaiting the next-gen Android Wear watches which promise to offer better iPhone support. Unfortunately, those will also likely miss the mark in terms of price.

13. KrisLord macrumors 65832

I'm pretty sure they also used to have a 2 metre charging cable, now it's only 1 metre.

14. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

This is idiotic. Sell the watch itself alone and let customers pick a band.

15. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

Correction... Courage!

16. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

So there's your new watch straps MR users. Now's your chance to shut the front door.

17. Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

Apple you did not disappoint, well done this watch is a solid update GPS was christmas but to think of us swimmers.... Straight high fives!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    Same, I won't get one personally but I can definitely see the appeal, all around good update.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    Completely agree with you, I'm really happy with this update.

I don't know anything about selling used products so i'm no use i'm unfortunately :(

18. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Man I wish they dropped the price a little... $779 for a base SS in Canada... Ouch!

19. allenvanhellen macrumors regular

As someone with an Apple Watch (series 0?), considering upgrading for GPS and FeliCa support, I couldn't agree more.

20. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

Touche

21. mrow macrumors 6502

I was thinking the same thing. I already have 5 bands I picked up during my ownership of the original watch. Sell me a band free version. Even if it's not the $49 less that the sport bands cost, but say $19 or $29 less I'll save a little money and it'll be one less band that ends up sitting in a drawer never used.

22. cube macrumors P6

Over 1K for ceramic ???

MSRP of a ceramic Swatch is something like 115 EUR.

23. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Yeah I guess you know than some pesky company from California.

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I was hoping for a price reduction in the Stainless Steel models. Wishful thinking. I own a Gen 1 Stainless and love it.

25. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

I'm digging the Gold Aluminium and Coffee Nylon band.
    However, how does one choose their own bands - do you have to do this in store?