Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In association with CIT as the financing partner, Apple has launched a new Mac Upgrade Program for small businesses and Apple business partners that allow companies to easily distribute and upgrade their fleets of MacBooks at an affordable price to all of their workers.

Mac-Notebook-Upgrade-Program-16x9.jpg

As outlined on CIT's website, shared by Max Weinbach, Apple Business Partners can distribute the 13-inch MacBook Pro, 13-inch MacBook Air, 14-inch MacBook Pro, and 16-inch MacBook Pro to their staff for only 3% of their retail list prices as monthly installments.

The new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros are offered at $60 and $75 per month, respectively, while the 13-inch MacBook Pro and MacBook Air are offered at $30 and $39 monthly payments. No Mac desktop is provided as part of the program.

While details are scarce, CIT's website says that small businesses can apply for the program through the website, and if approved, Apple will process and ship the Mac orders.

A similar program exists for regular customers with the iPhone Upgrade Program, where customers can get the latest iPhone for one monthly price. The program has been a popular financing option for customers. A Mac Upgrade Program is not offered publicly to regular customers, and it's important to note that customers less often upgrade their Mac computers, so a program in that regard may make less sense.

Article Link: Apple Introduces New MacBook Upgrade Program for Business Partners

Reactions: amartinez1660

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
For certain kinds of business, switching to MBPs is now a no-brainer decision, with deployment costs recouped in two or three months.

Reactions: amartinez1660

Kaerus

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2021
This can also be referred to a DaaS (Device as a Service) plan. We're already doing this in my K-12 district as we maintain the residual value of the devices after 36mo and keep up the refresh schedule automatically.

Joe The Dragon

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2006
What about allowing you to image systems?
limited OS rollbacks (may need driver work)
Local Update servers
Mini mac Pro?? More power then then min but not the $5K+ of the mac pro tower.

willsh

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2019
Very good news. However 2 things that would make this more appealing to me (and most likely countless others around the world):
1. Expand the 'Upgrade Programme' concept to retail-consumers for a greater array of Apple products that have established regular release cylces e.g. Watch, iPad; and
2. Do deals in other markets with financing companies. Don't limit these types of arrangements to just the US market. Apple is everywhere, so these types of arrangements should be more global.

macpro88

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2014
I wonder how small is too small? I’m an incorporated freelancer in a computer-intensive field (design and operate large resolution content for live events) so want to upgrade my Macs often.
I currently have an account with CIT for my current MacBook Pro as a single employee photography company, I did this about 2 years ago now? I remember there being a minimum spend of $5k I think. Not sure if this still applies.

I haven't looked into this upgrade program yet, but will def check it out today.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Interesting. I wonder how often upgrades are available. Phones are released on a pretty regular cadence. Laptops? Not so much (yet?)

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I really want Apple to bring this to everyone. I've long wanted that because for many years, before Apple's pricing became too rich for my blood, I was an annual upgrader. I'd love to give Apple something like $350 a month for a Mac, AirPods, iPad, iPhone, AppleTV all with AppleCare on an annual upgrade path. Let them handle the refurbishment and save me time having to sell stuff on eBay to recoup 50% of the cost after 12 months.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Interesting. I wonder how often upgrades are available. Phones are released on a pretty regular cadence. Laptops? Not so much (yet?)
Never mind - 90 days... I doubt Apple would ever get to that pace.

I bet this might make it easy for business users who realize 30 days in that the really don't need an M1 Max :)

Last edited:

ITMacRN

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The only question is: when will this be introduced to customer base? Or is this business-only?
Per the article:
A Mac Upgrade Program is not offered publicly to regular customers, and it's important to note that customers less often upgrade their Mac computers, so a program in that regard may make less sense.

ITMacRN

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Apparently, the full article is not being read in regards to those wanting this to come to the consumer

A Mac Upgrade Program is not offered publicly to regular customers, and it's important to note that customers less often upgrade their Mac computers, so a program in that regard may make less sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.