Apple Introduces Quicker Way to Manage Subscriptions via App Store

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple recently introduced an easier way to manage subscriptions via the App Store, as spotted by MacStories editor-in-chief Federico Viticci.

[​IMG]

iPhone and iPad users running iOS 12.1.4 or iOS 12.2 beta can now simply open the App Store, tap on their profile picture in the top-right corner, and tap on Manage Subscriptions to view and edit App Store, Apple Music, and Apple News subscriptions.

We've confirmed this Manage Subscriptions shortcut is not in earlier iOS versions.

[​IMG]
    iOS 12.1.2

Managing subscriptions previously required an extra step of tapping on the box with your Apple ID name and email address via the App Store or Settings.

Apple will reportedly host a subscription-focused media event on Monday, March 25 at Steve Jobs Theater, where it is expected to announce its widely rumored subscription news service and perhaps its streaming movie and TV show service.

Article Link: Apple Introduces Quicker Way to Manage Subscriptions via App Store

2. martyjmclean, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019

martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

I don’t have the new menu yet, but 3 steps instead of 5 is a start!
    Stores need to be user friendly and easier to manage.

3. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

My philosophy is that the best way to manage subscriptions is to limit the number that you have.

4. Classie macrumors member

5. npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

Amazon and Hulu are very easy to manage subscriptions. Nice to see Apple recognizing the importance subscriptions.

6. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Hopefully your girlfriends don’t see when you last renewed your Tinder Gold subscription.

7. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

This is an important move for Apple. As they move more towards a services model, they need to make it easy to on-board and off-board any subscriptions you have. Prior to this, I would always have to Google where to find the subscription management page in iTunes, and even then, it was a pain getting there. Not very consumer friendly. This will help.

8. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

It’s been like that for a long time for me.

9. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

Perfect solution to a management problem.

10. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

This is fantastic! I know I usually navigate to the iTunes app, scroll to the bottom, view my Apple ID account and then go into manage subscriptions (especially since I have quite a few billed through iTunes).

This definitely streamlines things.

11. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

Not on my iPhone (12.1.4). I still have to do additional clicks the old way to get to subscriptions. I wonder if the reason is because I have no monthly, only annual (Apple Music and iTunes Match).

12. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

That has nothing to do with the number of steps it takes to get to the settings to manage them though?

13. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

This is great... must be because theirs something new that their coming out with. And they want people to find it easier.

14. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Less subscriptions = less time managing them.

15. wnissen macrumors newbie

Thank goodness! I had to look that up every time, which should not happen on a commonly used action.

16. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

Maybe not fully rolled out? I’m on 12.2b2, and I still have to go the extra steps.

17. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I believe there’s a mistake in the article.

I’m on iOS 12.1.3 and I have this menu. It says here that only on 12.1.4 or 12.2. Which isn’t true. I think it’s also in 12.1.3.

Here’s a screenshot

8DACACB6-8F52-4C21-B147-174603447F6F.jpeg A4DD7EAC-8DDC-4FC6-B239-068BEF035643.jpeg

18. wesijhartley macrumors newbie

wesijhartley

This is really something that needs to be under Settings.

19. HMFIC03 macrumors regular

HMFIC03

Good move - always forgot how to do that. Would have to look up online because it was not intuitive.

20. archvile macrumors 6502

archvile

I also have an annual Music sub (Save 20 bucks a year vs monthly, why not? 20 bucks is 20 bucks), and also on 12.1.4 do not see this new Manage Subs option.

21. dosboy macrumors newbie

Slightly related, I hope they also provide an option to force-cancel existing subscriptions for those people who need to change their payment method to another region (e.g. from US credit card to UK credit card). This requires changing regions and this cannot be done until your Apple Music subscription has expired (not sure about other subscriptions). Ideally it would charge a pro-rated amount and maybe a small penalty and let it cancel immediately, or worst-case let you wear the loss and 'force-cancel', albeit losing any remaining balance but at least freeing you up to change regions.