Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the iPod Shuffle price drops today, Apple also introduced Xsan 2, the first major upgrade to its Storage Area Network (SAN) file system for Mac OS X.
Xsan 2 makes it easier for first time users to set up and quickly deploy a SAN; introduces MultiSAN, allowing users on a single workstation to access multiple SANs at the same time; is fully integrated with Mac OS X Leopard and Mac OS X Server Leopard and is now qualified to work with third-party RAID storage.
It is available immediately at the Apple Store at $999 per node. More information to be available at apple.com/xsan

Article Link

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
The support for 3rd-party RAID storage is a big step forward for XSan. This will make it more viable in the enterprise as well as in data centers. Hopefully Apple continues to make their product more "enterprise friendly" as this would help extend the Apple footprint into the enterprise.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
glad to see updates to this. it shows that they haven't forgotten about the server side of things. maybe one day i'll have one of these in my house! (first i gotta get a house :p )

TurboTim

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
Kansas
Upgrade?

Anyone seen anything regarding an upgrade price? Nothing on the Apple Store page. I have three 1.x licenses and don't think I should have to shell out 3 grand to "upgrade" to version 2.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I was looking at the product page, and a question came to mind. How does this compare to EMC's Celerra?

simag

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2008
I was looking at the product page, and a question came to mind. How does this compare to EMC's Celerra?

Nothing in the world to do with each other as far as I can see. The Celerra is a file server. The Promise box is raid system. EMC's low to mid range storage is the "Clariion" - they are addicted to "C" words. Some Celerras have a standalone Clariion behind them.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Nothing in the world to do with each other as far as I can see. The Celerra is a file server. The Promise box is raid system. EMC's low to mid range storage is the "Clariion" - they are addicted to "C" words. Some Celerras have a standalone Clariion behind them.

Ah, okay. It was easier when all I had to remember was the Symetrix (and Connectrix).

electronboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2005
No More Xserve RAID

The good: XSAN 2.0 :)
The BAD: Xserve RAID discontinued w/o warning! :mad:

We have two fully loaded and I am very upset that I cannot purchase any others. They have been rock solid units with tremendous reliabilty and ease of use. :(

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI

The Celerra is not a file server. It is a raid based storage system that incorporates some SAN design principles, archiving methods based on usage and still requires a presenter (what you would consider a file server). It does, however, possess more features than the Promise system and price tag to match.

i3iz

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2005
xsan 2? what does it even do? sounds like some type of raid management software.

simag

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2008
The Celerra is not a file server.

Wrong. The Celerra comes in a variety of flavors. One is the integrated unit which consists of a some raid disks (call it a mini-Clariion if you like) and some "data movers (in EMC speak)." The data movers present the storage as cifs or nfs to the network. That makes if a file-server in my books.

The larger "gateway" models consist of a large number of these "data movers" but with no build in raid storage at all. Storage is mapped via san from a CLariion or a DMX.

And yes, I do have one.
http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/cool.gif

blackbelt

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
My understanding is that Page 2 is for unconfirmed rumors! So... i am confused as to why this is a Page 2 article, when it is clearly a new product from Apple (http://www.apple.com/xsan/) Do you need Steve Jobs to personally tell you?:apple:

autrefois

macrumors 65816
My understanding is that Page 2 is for unconfirmed rumors! So... i am confused as to why this is a Page 2 article, when it is clearly a new product from Apple

Page 2 is for "uncertain rumors and minor news items", as the heading indicates

title_page2.gif

The average Mac user is not likely to be interested in Xsan 2, so I assume that's why they put it on page 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.