Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is introducing a new internal USB-C Diagnostic Tool as a successor to its existing Serial Number Reader, which can be used to both collect a device's serial number directly from its logic board and test power on a device itself.

USB-C-Serial-Number-Reader.jpg
Image via Giulio Zompetti

With only a Lightning version previously available, images have surfaced of a new USB-C Diagnostic Tool (UDT) that appears to be known as "ChimpSWD" internally. The new tool was produced for compatibility with Apple's iPad Pro lineup, which has been USB-C based since 2018.

Based on the above information, it appears a technician should connect the UDT to the Hardware Diagnostic Interface (HDI) Mac using the appropriate cable and the other end to the target device to correctly utilize the new tool and obtain diagnostic information.

Apple has informed service providers that its Apple Service Toolkit 2 diagnostic system has been updated to support HDI Serial Number Reader for the first-generation 11-inch iPad Pro and third-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro using the new USB-C Diagnostic Tool. Support for the latest second-generation 11-inch model and fourth-generation 12.9-inch model will follow at a later date.

Article Link: Apple Introducing New Internal USB-C Diagnostic Tool

Reactions: yurc

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
With Apple‘s software as of late...I dunno if I would trust it. It would probably say the bright spot on my iPad Pro was fine because it took a screenshot and then took at each pixel and said that colors are in acceptable range. When asked what acceptable range is, it would take another iteration to get that answer out. Meanwhile customer will get “sorry we can charge you a replace cost, I don’t see an option here that will allow me to replace it for you”

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Man, that asymmetric dongle is so unApple. Do you capitalize the "a" in that word? Where are the haters when you need one.

moo083

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
is it just me or does it seem like Apple wouldn’t work on something that is just specific to the iPad. Could this be potential evidence that Apple is actually planning to release an iPhone with a USB-C port?

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
is it just me or does it seem like Apple wouldn’t work on something that is just specific to the iPad. Could this be potential evidence that Apple is actually planning to release an iPhone with a USB-C port?
push ipad mini for usb c also. lightning now.. Usb c is nice but still have some flaw..

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
So basically this is some of dongle diagnostic tool lol. This is quite informative for people who live outside of GSX stuff or whatsoever, thanks for sharing new knowledge MR !

I wonder why when article such like this released, it was have less commentary though :(

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009

It's just you.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
So basically this is some of dongle diagnostic tool lol. This is quite informative for people who live outside of GSX stuff or whatsoever, thanks for sharing new knowledge MR !

I wonder why when article such like this released, it was have less commentary though :(
Diagnostic tool? Perhaps a tool that bypasses login protocols to access data directly? Now who in the world might need such a device?

Fusionskies

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
United Kingdom
I used to use SNR's all the time when I worked for an APR. They were really cool pieces of equipment, really handy when devices could not be powered on. Sometimes they could be temperamental and didn't read if there was slight damage to the dock, fortunately apple still etches the IMEI onto the sim card tray, so that can be used in placement if a SN cannot be gathered.

Last edited:
Reactions: trusso
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.