Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carpe diem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
Are many people here investors if so what do you think about the new records set by Apple stock?
Thanks

Phobophobia

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
carpe diem said:
Are many people here investors if so what do you think about the new records set by Apple stock?
Thanks

I own 182 shares. I feel it will keep going up for quite some time due to earnings growth.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
200 shares...I was starting to get nervous after the big run up, but analysts seem to still be bullish and modeling ridiculous nano unit sales. I need to hold out for another three weeks before my one-year mark to qualify for reduced capital gains taxes, and then I'll think about selling. But if this latest quarter is blockbuster, I may continue to hang on to it, as the holiday quarter will undoubtedly be even better.

LaoTzu

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2005
not to be a wise guy, but, well everyone who owns it, probably thinks it's a good idea... so common wisdom would dictate.

I was nervous when Gil Amelio took over, and then relieved Steve was around, back then, pre-split 12.75, I wanted to have a vote in any takeover or bankrupt... Back then '96 Apple had zero cash, and no way to cover payroll...only thing gil did was raise some $$ in a corporate bond sale. (Steve then took over!)
In these days, some shrewd market analysts said the brand "Apple" was worth more than the 1.5 Billion market cap. On any product, it sells... Plus technology - it was a steal, but I always recall worst case planning helped me understand the value of a stock. ( U could say iPod has made Apple brand worth 10 times that today)

On a Mac site, I guess everyone is a fan of the technology, and the stock price, and financial results have been phenomenal. From there, to 5 Billion in cash, neow over 7 Billion ( Interest on that is HUGE!)

Stock pricing is "supposed" to be based on earnings ( rather perception of that in the future, and likelihood ) Roughly, it does eventually come out like that... barring macro economic forces like 9/11 short term.

So if earnings, profits, assets, cash, and value improve, so will stock price, and I hope investing further in great products. If technology is good, always was, and execution & marketing are done well... we get iPod type success.

Operations under Steve have been strict, enforced, and more careful with investor money than investors themselves would ever be. The only exec to survive NeXT take over was Fred Anderson CFO. He was good, and heard, Steve knows well finances dictate the ability to run a business, so let an expert do it.
Each division, Hardware, Mac OS, Applications, iPod, from Logic & DVD Studio Pro, each & every part must earn a profit. If they do not, explain why, and when it will be corrected ( say OS 1 year development - when released, sales will cover costs ).
In this model, where say x86 has been discussed, since all divisions are earning profits I'm not worried even about licensing OS X to PC makers. Hardware margins aren't great on PC's, but being accountable, expenses vs. profits, this model allows supreme efficiency ( and Apple can compete with DELL on price & Features -soon spec for spec but beautiful! )

Like Steve said, it's organized, so if I get hit by a truck, Apple will be fine. ( but who else can sell & innovate there? )

Even iTunes, & iTunes Music store, while making no real "profits", must pay expenses, or pay cuts, err something. This ensures no Copeland fiascos, no more research which never ships anything, sucking the company dry....

The business is remarkable, but the part of the plan I've been most curious about was x86 builds for every version of OS X ( I knew ) and how it could balance all these concerns and announce it...

Steve Jobs has to retire, and he wants badly to leave a better world, and an Apple not run by retards, to thrive going foreword. I believe as in poker, you keep quiet, but the master plan roll out, now x86 transition, and next...well, you'll all see... Apple seems a very wise investment long term, and I expect a ton of iPods sold over holidays.....

( Apple said it had set break even at 1.3B in revenue, and profits showed how each rev. increase improves profits in %, and it has! 250M/ Q is better than all those single digits )

I consider it a safe stock. ( world economy will influence markets ) I think the rule is 5 to 7 years before you'll need cash, to prepare to sell now... I also lately notice a LOT of corporations defrauding investors, and I find Apple least likely to ever do that ( Steve can buy the whole thing with a buddy if he didn't want shareholders - Larry Ellison maybe? But we seem happy )

So, I like it, and as I've said since '96 why, and "look" quite smart today ;-) The iPod success I never imagined, but shows what happens when organized well, luck can be exploited by operational excellence, and strict fiscal discipline. I expect them to be poised for any/ all luck going foreword as well....

Just my 2 cents
LT

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Just a small correction: When Uncle Steve took over again in '97 Apple still had about $1 billion in liquid assets, so while they were losing money at the time, they certainly weren't broke, not by a long shot. That's when I bought in too. It turned out to be a great move, even though my broker thought I was completely out of my nut.

soxmang

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
1Q 2006 Earnings

Does anyone know on what date Apple will announce it's earnings? I have heard three dates: 1/13, 1/16 and 1/18. Which is correct?

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
runninmac said:
I own 12 :eek: not too bad for a highschool student

not at all. your on your way to becoming a Rockefeller with your ability to see the value of investing at such a young age. matter of fact i would rather give you the money i have invested, which is more than 12 shares, for the time you have left to invest.

time is more important than money when your investing at such a young age due to the compounded value. make sure you put five grand in now (safe bet would be the S&P 500 and just let it ride). then when your ready to retire, it really wont matter what you did with your life in an economical sense cause your early investing will be plenty to retire on.

good going, your lucky.

emmawu

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
Wauwatosa, WI
We bought 100 shares when Steve came back and another 50 when the stock went down in the late 90's. I think we spent about $4,500 total which today is worth over $40,000. I wish I trusted other companies. I'm so glad Apple is still around and going strong. I'd be happy if we hadn't had the money to invest.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
soxmang said:
Does anyone know on what date Apple will announce it's earnings? I have heard three dates: 1/13, 1/16 and 1/18. Which is correct?

1/18, after the market close.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
It was a great day and my only regret is that I didn't trust my gut and buy more when it was at $11 ($22 before the split). :rolleyes:

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
56 shares

i am the proud owner of 56 apple shares bought at various prices, after trying to make money here and there by selling and buying back, i figured it wasnt worth the hassle and i am just sticking with the shares i got and ill let them go up up up..

ObsidianIce

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Seventh Circle of Hell
I have a very decent amount of stock, y'all don't need to know exactly how much but come to be more than i've seen posted so far. Love Apple as a company and i'm still investing in them even at the current price. Nope i'm not crazy i do also sell and take some profit.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
beatle888 said:
not at all. your on your way to becoming a Rockefeller with your ability to see the value of investing at such a young age. matter of fact i would rather give you the money i have invested, which is more than 12 shares, for the time you have left to invest.

time is more important than money when your investing at such a young age due to the compounded value. make sure you put five grand in now (safe bet would be the S&P 500 and just let it ride). then when your ready to retire, it really wont matter what you did with your life in an economical sense cause your early investing will be plenty to retire on.

good going, your lucky.

Oh thanks! My dad tried in the begining put my money in a company (XRIT) it was very unsteady, sold it made a little off it, then bought AAPL:D. Lets just say my dad was really surprised at its proformace "the little stock that could" in his words.:D

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Apple can make an inverse direction just as quickly. Apple stock has always been risky.

Sony has they hardware, consumer electronics, movie and music production divisions.

Microsoft has it's corporate server, end-users, etc.

I love Apple products, however it's risky. They require something to anchor themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.