Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming iOS 10.3 update to public beta testers for testing purposes, two weeks after seeding the second public beta and one day after providing the third iOS 10.3 beta to developers.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program will receive the iOS 10.3 beta update over-the-air after installing the proper certificate on their iOS device.

Those who want to be a part of Apple's beta testing program can sign up to participate through the beta testing website, which gives users access to both iOS and macOS Sierra betas. Betas are not stable and include many bugs, so they should be installed on a secondary device.

iOS-10.3-beta-800x500.jpg

As a major 10.x update, iOS 10.3 introduces a new "Find My AirPods" option to help users locate a lost AirPod. Located in the "Find My Friends" app, the Find My AirPods feature keeps track of the last known location where AirPods were connected to an iOS device via Bluetooth, and it allows the AirPods to play a sound to make finding them nearby easier.

Along with a Find My AirPods feature, the update also includes a shift to Apple File System (APFS). First introduced in 2016, APFS is optimized for Flash/SSD storage and includes strong encryption and other important features.

Apple recommends all users make an iCloud backup before installing iOS 10.3, as the update will cause the iPhone's file system to switch over to Apple File System.

iOS 10.3 also introduces a tweaked app animation, a new Apple ID profile in the Settings app, a better breakdown on how iCloud storage is being used, SiriKit improvements, new iCloud analytics options, Verizon Wi-Fi calling on iCloud devices, 32-bit app alerts, and more. The third beta introduces an "App Compatibility" section in the Settings app, letting users see if they have outdated apps that won't work with future versions of iOS.

Article Link: Apple Releases Third iOS 10.3 Public Beta to Public Beta Testers

utwarreng

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2009
The first two 10.3 betas have been buggy and slow, lots of choppy animations and very poor battery life. This one seems to be a little bit of an improvement, but still way below where 10.2.1 was.

Reactions: briankeith513

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
It genuinely does seem a lot snapper - especially on my iPad Air. Spotlight, notification centre, multitasking side-bar (whatever it's called). Nice to have a little love for an older device. The 6S seems very slick also, as would be expected. Let's hope battery issues are solved and we see fewer re-springs, as that's been my main bugbear in previous betas.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Something new with this release:

In Mail, when you're selecting multiple mails (eg. to delete or mark them all at once), along with the blue 'dot' that gets turned on, the whole mail summary gets a slight grey 'mask' to it. It's nice.

Reactions: imnotthewalrus

FatherJack1980

Suspended
Dec 31, 2015
the update also includes a shift to Apple File System (APFS). First introduced in 2016, APFS is optimized for Flash/SSD storage and includes strong encryption and other important features.

This is the first I'm hearing about this; anyone care to explain what those "other important features" are (in simple terms please, if it's technical)

mobilpeter

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2016
Facebook app for iPad still chrashes (as well as in last beta). Tested on iPad Air 2 64GB

Lexor

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
UK
Since I updated to 10.3 beta I have had an issue with third party lightning headphone adaptors. They work for a few minutes and then I get the message "the accessory is not supported by this iPhone" The adaptor is then disabled and sound comes from the iPhone speakers. I tried the airplane mode trick but this does not work. Anyone else have this issue? Any solution for it other than buying the Apple adaptor.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Facebook app for iPad still chrashes (as well as in last beta). Tested on iPad Air 2 64GB

My iPad Pro (12.9") runs it just fine. Both this beta and the last. Of course, I rarely use it as Facebook still doesn't have a native resolution app for the 12.9", so usually just hit Facebook through safari. That said, the Facebook app itself is running fine on my device.

fellowes

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2017
iOS 10.3 PB3 on iPhone 7 Plus, in setting the search bar don't work. It either don't show you the search item or crash the setting app and force to home screen.

Eg: use the search bar and type in "Wifi", once you tap it will highlight in grey the wifi column and crash, back to home screen. Another example: search music, tap and nothing happen, by right it should go into music setting (instead when you scroll down the setting to music, you will see music highlighted in grey that all)

I have already send the bug report via the feedback app, hope it get fix in beta 4, it's quite annoying to see basic feature like search not working properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: dlucks

fellowes

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2017
Same problem with settings on my iPhone 7.

also every time I reboot my iPhone, it asks me to enter my Apple ID password.
If I click not now, it still work fine.

Do send a bug report to apple via the feedback app to let them take notice too for the search bar bug.

As for Apple ID that you mentioned, it suppose to be like that.

Zadigre

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
For the Apple ID bug, it's asking for the password on every reboot even if I enter it every time... which is not normal.
My wife on her iPhone 6s Plus doesn't have this problem.
I will also report this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.