Apple iP6 Leather Case "Blisters"?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by davistld01, Sep 21, 2014.

1. davistld01 macrumors 6502a

davistld01

Has anybody noticed an issue with "blisters" developing on the rear of their Apple leather case? They are hard to see, and took the below shots with my iPad. I have not laid my phone in any liquid, so I'm wondering if the phone is overheating with use and reacting?

You can see them around bottom of the Apple logo.

[​IMG]

2. jcobb40 macrumors newbie

No issues here as of yet, had it since the 19th I would exchange the case for sure.

3. davistld01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

davistld01

Yep. Calling Apple CS in the morning. I'm confident the return/replacement will be easy.

4. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I started noticing this as well today. Not quite as bad as yours, but will be going back to Apple. Considering getting the silicon case instead.

5. davistld01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

davistld01

Got the return/replacement deal going...no problem. The Apple CS rep even told me that he'd gotten several calls about the same issue on some 5/5s & some other 6 cases as well as mine. Hmmmmm...

If the replacement does it...I'll just go with the Otterbox Commuter. Not as pretty, but it works.

6. rsnaider macrumors member

Same issue, picked up a case on Saturday and exchanged it on Sunday as it had the same exact issue.

Hopefully this one will not have the issue but I will just keep exchanging them if comes back.

7. jcobb40 macrumors newbie

I'm not concerned still no issues but I had the leather case on my 5 for over a year and still looked great

8. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Yep. I guess it happened because I set it on a wet counter. Looks terrible now. I think I may run by the Apple Store tomorrow and ask if that's what is supposed to happen. I know leather sometimes has a poor reaction with water, but I'd assume with a phone case they'd use some sort of treatment on it to keep it looking good. It's impossible to avoid all contact with water, and I don't want to have to switch cases every time I go to the gym or it looks a little cloudy outside.

9. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

Yep. I'm returning my Apple leather case. Not impressed. Just bought it Saturday. I'm sticking with the Spigen Neo Hybrid. Great minimal case.

10. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

Look like heat causing de-lamination of the suede and hide. Could be glue releasing it's bond.

Shame.

Do you use GPS a lot?

11. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

While my leather case hasn't done this at all, I wonder if the silicone case could wind up with the same problem assuming it's due to heat.

12. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Did they make you send in the defective one?

13. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Apple iP6 Leather Case "Blisters"?

So I swapped my case yesterday only to come home and find that apple had sent me another one. I had two brand new cases, so I figured I could try some things with one of them.

I put some water drops on the counter and left the case sitting in it for a few minutes. Sure enough, big ugly blisters are back. Then I soaked the counter a bit. I put the case back on the water and rubbed it around to ensure full water coverage. Now I have one big uniform "blister." I say "blister" because I'm not sure if the leather has really pulled away from the backing or has just expanded. Here are a couple comparison pictures. Sorry for the poor quality, but you get the idea. The one that was wet has more texture. Overall, doesn't look much worse than new. It's certainly better than a splotch here and there. Not ideal, but I'm okay with it. I laid it down in a few drops of water again today, and ere was no change.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411564280.351876.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411564297.330430.jpg

14. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

My black leather case is doing the same thing. Guess I will call Apple CS for a replacement.

15. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

Do they go away once the case has time to dry?

16. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Leather, especially "naked" aniline leather that is used for Apple's cases, has no protective layer whatsoever. It's tanned and dyed, and that's it.

It has open pores and will be damaged by water, pick up stains, etc.

If you want to protect it, use something like this. It's relatively cheap, not silicone-based, and won't affect the color (esp. notable for light colors) like some treatments will.

17. davistld01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

davistld01

I ran the Apple leather case in my iPhone 5 for over a year...and had no issues. It's been wet...been muddy & dirty, and all I ever did was dry/clean it off and it looked as good as new. Clearly there is an issue here that Apple needs to address.

I've had the replacement they sent me on my 6 for a full day now & it looks fine. But, I'll be switching to an Otterbox Commuter if the blisters reappear. The OB isn't as sleek & fashionable...but it damn sure works!

18. Antgb84 macrumors 6502

Exactly the reason why I didn't choose to go for that case. It doesn't handle moisture very well. God forbid if you drop it the leather will come right off.

19. davistld01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

davistld01

Odd thing still is, at least with mine...I can't remember it ever getting wet.

20. meistervu macrumors 65816

I think they were made from a herd of defective cows. Normal cows don't blister when rained on, and neither does their leather.

I had a leather case a while back and it lasted the life of the phone. I am sure I have handled it with wet hand, put it on table with a bit of water. It still looks great today.

21. davistld01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

davistld01

Aniline Cows

22. meistervu macrumors 65816

According to The Hitchhiker Guide AKA Wikipedia:

Aniline leather is a type of leather dyed exclusively with soluble dyes without covering the surface with a topcoat paint or insoluble pigments.

So, unless we are talking about painted cows, all cows has the same protection as aniline leather.

23. TSloper74 macrumors member

I swapped out the black leather case for the black silicone case this morning at my local Apple store. The leather case is absolutely a great choice if you prefer leather but the silicone case has a bit better grip in my opinion and definitely not as fragile as the leather (water, indentations, etc). I used the leather case on my 5S with no complaints.

24. jkautosports macrumors regular

I received my case on Tuesday (2 days ago) and mine developed blisters yesterday. It has had no exposure to water, but it has been rainy/humid the past 2 days. I called Apple and they said they would be happy to exchange it via mail or at the store. I figured that before returning it, I would see what happens if water is applied evenly to the case. Using a mildly damp microfiber cloth I gently wiped the entire surface of the case until it just slightly darkened (I have the brown color). After it dried it went back to looking like new and was blister free.

I don't think I will be returning the case since replacements will probably have the same issue... it appears that maybe they used a softer leather, or maybe didn't coat it, because I never had this issue with my 5s case. I think the best thing to do is look into teflon spray or whatever it is they sell for boots...

25. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Apple gave me a free leather case due to multiple pixel issues but I ended up buying the silicone one - has much better feel and grip. Waiting on a Piel Frama case to arrive.