Apple iP6 Leather Case "Blisters"?

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
Has anybody noticed an issue with "blisters" developing on the rear of their Apple leather case? They are hard to see, and took the below shots with my iPad. I have not laid my phone in any liquid, so I'm wondering if the phone is overheating with use and reacting?

You can see them around bottom of the Apple logo.

jcobb40

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
Has anybody noticed an issue with "blisters" developing on the rear of their Apple leather case? They are hard to see, and took the below shots with my iPad. I have not laid my phone in any liquid, so I'm wondering if the phone is overheating with use and reacting?

You can see them around the Apple logo.

No issues here as of yet, had it since the 19th I would exchange the case for sure.

Comment

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
I started noticing this as well today. Not quite as bad as yours, but will be going back to Apple. Considering getting the silicon case instead.

Comment

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
I started noticing this as well today. Not quite as bad as yours, but will be going back to Apple. Considering getting the silicon case instead.
Got the return/replacement deal going...no problem. The Apple CS rep even told me that he'd gotten several calls about the same issue on some 5/5s & some other 6 cases as well as mine. Hmmmmm...

If the replacement does it...I'll just go with the Otterbox Commuter. Not as pretty, but it works.

Comment

rsnaider

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
NY
Same issue, picked up a case on Saturday and exchanged it on Sunday as it had the same exact issue.

Hopefully this one will not have the issue but I will just keep exchanging them if comes back.

Comment

jcobb40

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
I'm not concerned still no issues but I had the leather case on my 5 for over a year and still looked great

Comment

Taco1933

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2014
Yep. I guess it happened because I set it on a wet counter. Looks terrible now. I think I may run by the Apple Store tomorrow and ask if that's what is supposed to happen. I know leather sometimes has a poor reaction with water, but I'd assume with a phone case they'd use some sort of treatment on it to keep it looking good. It's impossible to avoid all contact with water, and I don't want to have to switch cases every time I go to the gym or it looks a little cloudy outside.

Comment

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Columbus, OH
Yep. I'm returning my Apple leather case. Not impressed. Just bought it Saturday. I'm sticking with the Spigen Neo Hybrid. Great minimal case.

Comment

offcamber

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
USA
Look like heat causing de-lamination of the suede and hide. Could be glue releasing it's bond.

Shame.

Do you use GPS a lot?

Comment

titans1127

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
Look like heat causing de-lamination of the suede and hide. Could be glue releasing it's bond.

Shame.

Do you use GPS a lot?
While my leather case hasn't done this at all, I wonder if the silicone case could wind up with the same problem assuming it's due to heat.

Comment

ghsNick

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Got the return/replacement deal going...no problem. The Apple CS rep even told me that he'd gotten several calls about the same issue on some 5/5s & some other 6 cases as well as mine. Hmmmmm...

If the replacement does it...I'll just go with the Otterbox Commuter. Not as pretty, but it works.
Did they make you send in the defective one?

Comment

Taco1933

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2014
Apple iP6 Leather Case "Blisters"?

So I swapped my case yesterday only to come home and find that apple had sent me another one. I had two brand new cases, so I figured I could try some things with one of them.

I put some water drops on the counter and left the case sitting in it for a few minutes. Sure enough, big ugly blisters are back. Then I soaked the counter a bit. I put the case back on the water and rubbed it around to ensure full water coverage. Now I have one big uniform "blister." I say "blister" because I'm not sure if the leather has really pulled away from the backing or has just expanded. Here are a couple comparison pictures. Sorry for the poor quality, but you get the idea. The one that was wet has more texture. Overall, doesn't look much worse than new. It's certainly better than a splotch here and there. Not ideal, but I'm okay with it. I laid it down in a few drops of water again today, and ere was no change.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411564280.351876.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411564297.330430.jpg

Comment

TheIntruder

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2008
Leather, especially "naked" aniline leather that is used for Apple's cases, has no protective layer whatsoever. It's tanned and dyed, and that's it.

It has open pores and will be damaged by water, pick up stains, etc.

If you want to protect it, use something like this. It's relatively cheap, not silicone-based, and won't affect the color (esp. notable for light colors) like some treatments will.

Comment

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
I ran the Apple leather case in my iPhone 5 for over a year...and had no issues. It's been wet...been muddy & dirty, and all I ever did was dry/clean it off and it looked as good as new. Clearly there is an issue here that Apple needs to address.

I've had the replacement they sent me on my 6 for a full day now & it looks fine. But, I'll be switching to an Otterbox Commuter if the blisters reappear. The OB isn't as sleek & fashionable...but it damn sure works!

Comment

Antgb84

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Exactly the reason why I didn't choose to go for that case. It doesn't handle moisture very well. God forbid if you drop it the leather will come right off.

Comment

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I think they were made from a herd of defective cows. Normal cows don't blister when rained on, and neither does their leather.

I had a leather case a while back and it lasted the life of the phone. I am sure I have handled it with wet hand, put it on table with a bit of water. It still looks great today.

Comment

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
According to The Hitchhiker Guide AKA Wikipedia:

Aniline leather is a type of leather dyed exclusively with soluble dyes without covering the surface with a topcoat paint or insoluble pigments.

So, unless we are talking about painted cows, all cows has the same protection as aniline leather.

Comment

TSloper74

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
I swapped out the black leather case for the black silicone case this morning at my local Apple store. The leather case is absolutely a great choice if you prefer leather but the silicone case has a bit better grip in my opinion and definitely not as fragile as the leather (water, indentations, etc). I used the leather case on my 5S with no complaints.

Comment

jkautosports

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
New York, NY
I received my case on Tuesday (2 days ago) and mine developed blisters yesterday. It has had no exposure to water, but it has been rainy/humid the past 2 days. I called Apple and they said they would be happy to exchange it via mail or at the store. I figured that before returning it, I would see what happens if water is applied evenly to the case. Using a mildly damp microfiber cloth I gently wiped the entire surface of the case until it just slightly darkened (I have the brown color). After it dried it went back to looking like new and was blister free.

I don't think I will be returning the case since replacements will probably have the same issue... it appears that maybe they used a softer leather, or maybe didn't coat it, because I never had this issue with my 5s case. I think the best thing to do is look into teflon spray or whatever it is they sell for boots...

Comment

Dlanod

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Apple gave me a free leather case due to multiple pixel issues but I ended up buying the silicone one - has much better feel and grip. Waiting on a Piel Frama case to arrive.

Comment