Apple iPad 2 Camera Review - iPad 2 rearcam test

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Michaelgtrusa, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

As a semi-pro photographer I always find it funny when people carp about a camera that's smaller than a pencil eraser.

2. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Really don't understand why people were expecting more.

3. nostaws macrumors 6502

nostaws

REALLY?? I watched the clip, and I thought the video looked pretty good. As good as the Kodak Zi8 or the Flips. I thought the low light video looked respectable too.

I shoot still images with a Nikon D700, and video with Pro Canon cameras, and lately a Nikon D7000, and while the iPad 2 isn't a full frame DSLR, the video on youtube, and the video I have shot with mine looks fine for what it is.

I don't understand the complaints.

4. Rodvette macrumors regular

The camera sucks, it can only get better from here on out

5. HXGuy macrumors 68000

That's exactly what I thought too..I was expecting much worse when I clicked the link. Either my expectations are really low or they are realistic.

6. bt2184 macrumors member

Nearly all consumer level hd video cameras suck in low light, every single one of these videos is filmed indoors at night lol. It will look much better outside during the daylight.

7. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Complaining about the microscopic camera on iPad 2 is about the same as complaining that the speaker on the device doesn't sound as good as your stereo. Perspective, people. Get some.

8. iserian macrumors 6502

9. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

News flash: the iPad 2 costs the same amount as the camera-less iPad 1. Your statement makes no sense.

10. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

When people say why would you expect better cams "especially in something so small" I just want to shake them.

The iPad should have cams more similar to the recent macbook cams. just as small, much better. Even if it just shared cams with the iphone itd be better. I HIGHLY doubt there's a big price difference between the iphone's cams and the itouch's cams.

secondly, as bt2184 why is everyone testing these things in low light? that's when they're gonna look the absolute worst. and if that video is the worst it looks in low light. when comparing to other small hd cams (like the flips) I don't think it's that bad.

BUT it kills me there's no auto focus.

11. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Next time I'm at the Grand Canyon, I'll hold my $500-$800 tablet over the edge and take pictures... and compare to a dslr camera w/30x zoom and 14mp ;)

12. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

I'd rather drop a $500-$800 tablet over the edge than a $1600 lens.

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Just to refresh memories, the iPhone4 5 megapixel camera unit cost Apple around $11 Dollars a year ago.

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I just watched that Video and OMG that's terrible.

Way WAY worse than I was expecting. I'm wondering if there was something wrong with his YouTube upload?

If you set youtube to 720p and go full screen, there are horizontal lines, like every other line out of sync as he moves about.

It's "CAN''T" be that bad in reality can it?

15. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

where are you watching it full screen? unless you're on an iPad, it's gonna stretch to fill your screen making it look much worse.

16. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

you're reffering to the interlacing, go rent a dvd and you'll see the same thing.

17. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

Here's one that's indoors and out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L5PbRA0nNE

I don't think it's that bad aside from the choppiness of the grass, but as I don't have my ipad yet idk if that's the compression from youtube or the way the actual video looks.

18. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

Christ on a rusty bicycle, if you want a good camera, buy a HD video camera. This is a camera on a tablet device. It is not going to be used much. Do you really see yourself videoing stuff with your tablet? It's for casual use, nothing more.

19. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

On my PC monitor screen.

It's 720p HD according to Apple.

720p looks great, even on a large monitor screen.

All iTunes movies are 720p

You can't have bad and broken up low res 720p then it's not 720p !

20. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Now that's a LOT better than the 1st video, albeit a bit poor, but at least this is watchable.

21. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

720p means the resolution of the video is 1280 by 720, it says NOTHING about the quality of the video. you can have a 720p video with low bit rate that looks like crap and it's still 720p.

22. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Thanks for correcting me.

So Apple saying 720p HD quality, means nothing basically.
    They could say this and it could still technically be the worse quality ever?

23. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

You know the frightening thing...............

Here is a video quality test from an iPod Touch.

Now to me, from what I've seen so far, shockingly this looks better quality than the iPad2 video's I've seen so far :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8tlo9zBuDg