Apple Ipad 2 Q/A

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vfr, Mar 4, 2011.

1. vfr macrumors newbie

I plan on buying an ipad 2 next week. This will be my first apple product and am not familiar with how apple is different from PC. Is there a wiki or sticky somewhere that will familiarize people unfamiliar to Apple's stuff?

I will be so lost in the OS. Does Apple's OS have something similar to a control panel, device managers, etc like on PC?

How about buying stuff from the apple store. What is the url?

When you buy an Ipad, it seem like they give you the option to have it set up for you? What does this mean for someone like me? What kind of setup is there to do.

I have one week to learn as much as I can before flopping down $500 for the 16GB version. I will mainly use the ipad for surfing the web and possibly using it a teaching tool for my 4yr old. No games or video watching.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

This is a lot of info. Honestly, if you are relatively close to an Apple Store it would be in your best interest to go there and talk to them. Try calling them as well.

3. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

I plan on buying an ipad 2 next week. This will be my first apple product and am not familiar with how apple is different from PC. Is there a wiki or sticky somewhere that will familiarize people unfamiliar to Apple's stuff?
    Download iTunes 10.2 - http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ That's how you're going to sync your iPad with your computer and back it up. You'll also be able to move photos, videos, music, etc on and off your iPad that way.

I will be so lost in the OS. Does Apple's OS have something similar to a control panel, device managers, etc like on PC?
    The "Settings" app in the iPad's iOS will manage everything from brightness, to alert tones, to network connectivity. I would watch this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zzIvQiUWk

How about buying stuff from the apple store. What is the url?

http://store.apple.com though if you're talking about Apps, when you get your iPad there will be an App on there called "App Store" Where you get applications, one called "iTunes" where you get music and video and one called "iBooks" where you get books.

That about covers it. Enjoy!

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

You could also download the iPad manual from Apple.com in the Support section...

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I will add that you have to activate the iPad with a computer before you can use it. You can get an store employee to do it for you while there.

Honestly, you could probably just buy the thing and then have someone there answer the rest of your questions.

6. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

yeah they will walk you through set up in store once you get it and answer all your questions.

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

My local apple store- I'm willing to guess all of them, too - have free classes for most of their products. Buy a ipad and sign up for one. I'm sure it will be worth your time.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

This.

Do your research but don't worry if there is something you don't know. Just decide on the color, capacity and whether you want 3G/GPS or just wifi.

9. iOrlando macrumors 68000

there is no need for you to do any homework.

just pick up iPad and it will all make sense.

10. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

Don't be worried. Apple software is designed for use by people who suck at computers. You should have no trouble.

11. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Well first off the iPad is not like an actual computer, the os is more based toward an iPhone or iPod touch so start there. And this is allot so I would suggest learning from your local appe store