Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surfbug

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2017
I'll go to order Apple iPad 6 (6th Gen) Which do you like 32GB or 128GB ?

I saw the Cellular Unlocked 9.7" ALL but I've trackfone. Can I still use it?

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I would honestly try for the 7th gen for that extra gb of ram. My 6th gen hasn’t done that great on the iPadOS 14 betas for ram management. Might get more polished but trying to stream a Netflix show and browse the web hasn’t been pleasant on iPadOS 14. Never was an issue before

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
7th gen would be better for that extra RAM: mom’s 6th gen iPad could not handle iPadOS (crashing, freezing etc.). It happens a lot less on the 7th gen.

A cellular iPad may require a monthly contract with a phone carrier.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
7th gen would be better for that extra RAM: mom’s 6th gen iPad could not handle iPadOS (crashing, freezing etc.). It happens a lot less on the 7th gen.

A cellular iPad may require a monthly contract with a phone carrier.
You would need a monthly contract only if you decided to use LTE. If not, you can use it as a WiFi iPad

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Yes, that is also true. Since I bought from the carrier, I was locked into signing up for cellular service. Then the carrier still charged me $10 every month when I was not using cellular.
Gotta love the cash grabs. I’m actually happy with the deal my carrier had for me. Pay for my phone plan and got a package that allows me to add as many data devices to it as I want for free and just share the data.

Canadian pricing still sucks on our carriers but atleast that saved me a bunch of cash since I have 4 cellular iPads in my house

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Gotta love the cash grabs. I’m actually happy with the deal my carrier had for me. Pay for my phone plan and got a package that allows me to add as many data devices to it as I want for free and just share the data.

Canadian pricing still sucks on our carriers but atleast that saved me a bunch of cash since I have 4 cellular iPads in my house
Sounds nice. I think the only carrier to offer something similar is Google Fi. Used to be they allowed 10 data only SIMs but they’ve limited it to just 4 now (I expect due to abuse).

I pay $10/line monthly to add the primary iPads to our postpaid plan. The backups, I have on the T-Mobile $10/5GB/5 month iPad only plan.

In our case, the iPad uses the bulk of data so the convenience is worth it. The iPhones use 1-2GB per user, while the iPad‘s typically 10+ GB. When we need a hotspot, we use the iPad as well since it’s got a bigger battery to easily handle it.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'll go to order Apple iPad 6 (6th Gen) Which do you like 32GB or 128GB ?

I saw the Cellular Unlocked 9.7" ALL but I've trackfone. Can I still use it?
Storage, depends on your usage. The 32GB iPad only has around 20GB usable after you take out System+Other. For me, that’s too small unless you’re okay with just accessing everything via cloud and streaming.

Tracfone is iffy. Their TOS specifically states they don’t support data only devices. It can work but if they catch it, possible they terminate service and you lose any allocations/credits you have on the account.

Could always use another carrier or even disable cellular and use it similar to a wi-fi only iPad.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
32GB if you like to uninstall apps and games or have no problem uninstalling for room/ Go 128GB if you like lots of apps, games, documents, stuff and you don't like to uninstall for extra space

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.