Apple ipad launch = FAIL

scmguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Hey Apple, ever heard of load testing software? I'd suggest you go out and buy some.. this pre order had been an EPIC FAIL so far..

The site tells people to call the 800# then after 30 min on hold, the 800# tells people they can't order and to go back to the site.

What a cluster..

MaxxTraxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Considering how many impatient nerds are swamping the ordering, it's not that big a deal. Give it a day or so and it will be fine.
Could you just wait man? People all over the country are doing the same thing as you.

scmguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
The point is, this is a multi billion dollar company who doesn't have enough IT sense to load test based on at least the load of users who swamped in to buy iphone 4's..

Even Domino's pizza is smart enough to host in the cloud and load test during the superbowl...

They probably don't need to because we'll buy the stuff anyways..

----------

PS- they are now sending "force close" commands to the apple store applications.. probably don't want them swamping their gear while they try and duct tape it together..

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
the store is down for updates. it has been down since the event went live.

is isn't down due to traffic.

there's a difference.

this happens during every announcement if you've paid attention.

scmguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Umm no.. it was back up and orders started flowing and it imploded under the weight of all the traffic..

Check the sticky thread.

the store is down for updates. it has beedown since the event went live.

there's a difference.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
the store is down for updates. it has been down since the event went live.

there's a difference.

The store was working briefly with people almost getting to the checkout page. It went back down though.

Nightprowler

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
The point is, this is a multi billion dollar company who doesn't have enough IT sense to load test based on at least the load of users who swamped in to buy iphone 4's..
If you think them such idiots, why are you clamoring to get your paws on their product after only seeing a marketing demo?

bambamyi

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle
lolnerds

all the lolnerds that flocked to preorder ipad should be shot!
wait I tried to preorder too! :eek:

I think I can wait a day.. or two... my MBP still is better than iPad.
It has real quad core :D

What really gets me is the fact that I bet more than half the people that flocks to the preorder probably will end up playing angry birds in retina! while they are on the bus... :mad:

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Hey Apple, ever heard of load testing software? I'd suggest you go out and buy some.. this pre order had been an EPIC FAIL so far..

The site tells people to call the 800# then after 30 min on hold, the 800# tells people they can't order and to go back to the site.

What a cluster..
I think scmguru needs a hug.

I got thru on my 3rd try :D

towboattrash34

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2009

What a cluster..
The only EPIC FAIL IS YOU....

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

What a cluster..
#firstworldproblems

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Their site maybe under attack. I've never seen this before.

It's not like this is something new.

Then again, I don't know

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Okay I've gotta ask.... when did the world get so impatient? It's been, what, two hours, there's a swarm of purchasers probably larger than any concert ticket sale hitting a site and they're dealing with it. Surely it's not asking too much to just sit down, relax and wait for a little while? No? Just me then? Okay...

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
Umm no.. it was back up and orders started flowing and it imploded under the weight of all the traffic..

Check the sticky thread.
Oh, my bad.

I did submit two orders about 45 minutes ago. A bit slow, but worked fine for me.

I prefer when they launch at midnight PST. Half the US is asleep.