Apple iPad Pro survey

Discussion in 'iPad' started by russ99, May 5, 2016.

1. russ99 macrumors member

I got an e-mail from Apple yesterday with a survey about why I chose a 9.7" iPad Pro and how I use it.

At the end, there's a suggestions area, and needless to say I requested more pro apps, and a iPad Pro-specific version of iOS, with multiple users and a limited file system, so we're not wasting the power of the device by doing the same things and running the same apps as on a low-end iPhone.

If you guys get this, I'd fill it out, it's a great chance to give Apple some user feedback.

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I understand more Pro-specific apps, but I don't see why all iOS devices can't receive that basic OS functionality. Multiple users and a file system have been features of Android for many years.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

We will die waiting for a file system.:(

4. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

I don't think people really want a file system.

What they really need is file management. What would be nice is to have a screen similar to iTunes on iOS itself, where you can select an app, view the documents stored under that app (and folders), and be able to transfer documents to and from that app's workspace with externally connected file storage (whether via cable or WiFi).

Frankly I don't like Android's "file system"... it exposes all the internals of it in a crude way and you have to guess which folder to go to. Apple's app sandbox is perfectly fine with me, just that file management is very limited at the moment.

5. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I want a file system and not the iTunes way of moving files to external storage.

6. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Well, could you elaborate why the iTunes way is not sufficient for your needs?

Why is not sufficient that I present a list of apps, and allow you to navigate an external file system and copy files back and forth to individual apps on your iOS device?

7. tgara, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016

tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I got the survey and answered the questions.

As for a file management system, I use Dropbox and OneDrive. Works great.

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

At work, I regularly work on projects that contain many different file types (Word docs, spreadsheets, PDF, jpegs, project files, text files, etc.). Having them all in separate directories by application and having to sync them manually would be a nightmare. And what if I am offline on a plane or in a place where I don't have internet or wifi access (happens to me all the time in various buildings I frequent for work)? I can kind of work around it by using OneDrive, but that requires careful planning ahead of time.

9. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

But the thing about Android is that if you don't like the stock file system you can download an app that allows you to do it the way you want, just like most Android features. I love my iPad but there are certainly aspects of Android that I miss from my Nexus 7 tablet. Each platform definitely has its strengths and weeknesses.

10. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

That's interesting, and a use case I didn't consider. I wouldn't call this file management - this is more like project management, where you have a workflow that consists of many different types of documents. This is definitely a legitimate use case.

I would separate this point from the need to have a file system - this is a requirement for synchronization. The "iTunes approach" would work if you had a one-button or an automatic synchronization mechanic every time you plugged in an external storage device.

Could you give examples of the apps are you referring to? AFAIK most "file system" apps simply expose the file system, like ES File Explorer. Apart from the app I mentioned previously, I've only dealt with apps like Moon Reader Pro that have an internal file system explorer which I find annoying to use.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Well, I was actually thinking of ES. I found that it met my file management needs. I could choose what files went where and easily search for them and move them if they went to a default location that I couldn't find.

Maybe that's not what you had in mind, but it's still worlds better than what iOS allows (or rather, doesn't allow).

12. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Thanks. I haven't used it in some time. Let me try it out again.

I do agree that iOS is currently inadequate / tedious for managing files, but I'm just wondering what would be a great way of doing it, while not having to deal with intricacies like synchronization, hierarchies, location, etc. i.e. In a "delightful" way. Apple hasn't been doing particularly great in that department with regards to software......

13. Blaster13 macrumors 6502

Blaster13

At this moment in time not feeling the iPad Pro at all. Iv had mine for 16 days and this has happen pretty pissed at it tbh..... Been in case since day one fair to say il be returning it....

Attached Files:

14. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

15. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I'm living a good life while NOT waiting, although I a file system would be nice, I've got my Nexus 6P with its own file system...

Thanks Google :D

16. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Well the OP wants one

17. jrs22 macrumors 6502

Im able to use my MBP for work type stuff so I said I bought the pro for the pencil (true) and I'd like to see 4gigs ram (so more layers in Procreate). I should have complained about the design of the pencil but it's so good compared to my other styluses (stylish?) that I wasn't in a complaining mood.