Apple ipad smart CASE owners, please answer my questions?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by hassoon, Sep 11, 2012.

1. hassoon macrumors regular

hi, i got some questions concerning the case, and i DO know the price is steep and i'm looking for this case in SPECIFIC so plase whoever hate the product just give me a good reason and don't suggest anything as in my country i don't have enough options. oky, so i have the new ipad and i'm looking forward for this case, so is it real that the ipad is loose in the case? like it can move a little bit around and the back cutting for the speaker volume and camera become unaligned ? (if yes please specify what ipad generation you did use with it) what about the ipad standing in portrait mode, does the ipad balance it self or should i spend time balancing it till i get lucky? and one last question, most of the time i use my ipad for reading and my hands sweat easily, does the case cause any problem with sweat? like would the case become damaged after a month of use ? and does the screen cover stick magnetically to the back of the ipad when folded to read ? haha sorry for the allot amount of questions but i'm just curious and i don't wanna make the purchase and then feel guilty for buying it! thank you so much!

2. docprego macrumors 65816

Not that loose on my iPad 3 but not perfectly tight either. Had no problem with the cutouts becoming misaligned. Portrait mode does not work well at all. Material is plastic like and I would imagine sweaty palms would be uncomfortable with it though I didn't personally have this problem. The cover does not magnetically stick to the back.

The worst problem with this case IMO are the sharp edges which make holding the iPad a miserable experience.

3. AlexandriaS macrumors newbie

I tried and returned an Apple "Smart" Case

Dear Hasoon,
    I have a new iPad (3rd generation). I loved the iPad so I thought who better to get my case from than Apple itself. Big mistake in my opinion. First, it is expensive, but more importantly it did not work for me in two key areas. First, the magnets were not strong enough to keep the cover on when you turned the iPad over. I don't mean shaking it, just the pull of gravity would cause the cover to come off exposing the screen. Second, and most important to me, was its failure as a stand. There was no portrait stand and the landscape position for viewing puts the iPad almost vertical, very unstable. I felt unsafe using it even on a flat surface. It is okay for typing. There are much better and cheaper alternatives out there. If you have access to Amazon, I would recommend a Roo Case multi-angle. It was half the price of the smart case, the magnets keep the cover closed when turned over and shaken, and the use of strong Velcro attachments allow for multiple viewing angles (portrait and landscape). They claim alignment works for both iPad 2 and the new iPad. The on/off magnet functions work great. That has been a problem with other cases. The folio case is a neat design and the inner cover can be used without the folio part. There was a video on you tube about this case. I am very happy with it. My only issue is that there is no good typing angle standard but you can make one by adjusting the Velcro. Very small issue. The case is well made, good quality. The best part for me is the ease of use watching or reading in bed, or on the sofa, very stable and very good angles. Good luck.

4. RenoG macrumors 65816

I'd have to agree with everyone so far, the smart case is truely a hit and mis product. When I went into the apple store I had this understanding, so did the genius who approached me when I told him about my concerns. What he did was pull three cases down to try out. Fortunately for my ipad 3 the very first case fit snug as a bug, perfect.

Sweaty clammy, hands sorry don't have that issue, can't speak on it.

Yes it is a bit shaky getting it into the portrait position, but I can still watch a movie without incident.

The one and only real factual issue with every one of these cases if you happen to score a good fitting one, is the pointy edges, they can dig into your hand after a while forcing you to change the way you hold it. I understand the idea that the case was designed to provide a good seal, total coverage no exposure when the cover is closed over the top, however they could have easily rounded all three sides for comfy handling, and some sort of small lifting tab to open it up as oppose to using our finger nails.

Other than that I really like this case to be honest. Its gripy, its light weight, its a perfect fit (in my case), and I like the look of it and they come in cool colors.

5. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Its ok. It offers good protection but its not a solid Apple product. It doesn't stay "up" very well when upright and is very wobbly.

I wouldn't bother.

I've put my smart cover back on.

6. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I've heard nothing but bad about the smart case.

7. RenoG macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted

^^ and for good reason to be honest. The only reason I decided to keep mine is because it happens to fit perfectly.