Apple iPad smart pen patent

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tekker, Jul 7, 2011.

1. tekker, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

tekker macrumors regular

We've seen the rumors of how there is going to be an iPad+/iPad HD this fall. This Is My Next seems to think this is Apple trying to target corporate users with a higher resolution, Final Cut/and or Aperture.

Apple is trying to also implement styluses for note-taking and drawing, according to a recent patent. The stylus would also have a dock IN the iPad to charge/be stored. There are two styluses patented, but likely they will be one finished product.

SOURCE: http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/07/apple-patent-apps-describe-smart-pens-for-notetaking-and-long/

Also, I think it would be better to coin the next iPad: "iPad Pro" considering the next iPad is targeted towards professional users.

2. Cosmo Kramer macrumors member

Seems interesting, I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future apple released one with the famous :apple: logo

3. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Apple may or may not do a pen but if they do the first thing people will say is, "Apple Newton Reborn!"

Personally, I won't use a pen on the phone or tablet.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Weren't those patents filed 18 months ago, as in 6 January 2010?

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I like it, especially the pen that can digitize my notes without special paper.

6. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

The addition of a pen would open up the possibility for drawing apps to be much better, even though its possible now it's not as practical. Also nite taking would make it the best thing for a student, I would sell my iPad 2 in a heart beat if the next iPad had better cameras,retina screen, and a (official) apple pen lol. With the addition of the pen if they want to have it do it will dock in the iPad itself then it would have to be a big part of the experiance, meaning the option for (stylus) like controls for the UI and 3rd party apps. So all in all a pen might be best just being a secondary item only used for notes unless apple wants to add additional support for it. Personally the only thing I would use the pen for is for sketching and notes, non the less it would be nice to have.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Jobs: If you see a stylus or a task manager, 'they blew it'

8. tekker thread starter macrumors regular

You're interpreting the quote wrong. Back then, many touch devices NEEDED to use styluses in order to function. If you lost the stylus, you basically couldn't use your PDA very well or whatever until you got you got a new one. When iOS came out, it worked brilliantly with finger response, and it set the standard for the industry. However, there are few things you can't do very well with only your fingers, and that's where a stylus comes into play: ie. drawing/note-taking are done better with a stylus.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    An active stylus is one of the reasons why I like the HTC Flyer tablet. (It's also got a very good looking 3D carousel UI shell with nice widgets.)

Most of the time I flick with my finger, but I also take notes with the pen and/or annotate things I find on the web. It's nice to have the ability.

One of the things I had missed from my old WinMo devices was being able to quickly sketch and mark a dimensioned schematic of a room or object that I was building, before going to Home Depot.

(I got a leather case for it from Hong Kong that acts as an optional stand, and includes a holder for the pen, since it lacks a built-in slot.)

Capabilities like this make your tablet stand out. Coming later there will be screens that are sensitive enough to follow individual hairs on a painter's brush. A good device accepts all kinds of inputs.