Apple iPad Smartcovers vs $10 Amazon Smartcovers

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by MusicEnthusiast, Oct 25, 2012.

1. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Hey all.

I'm about to preorder the iPad 4 32 GB in black this Friday, and I was thinking of buying a smartcover and a sleeve to place it inside.

1. Does this combo work well?
    2. Is there a big difference between Apple's $40 Smartcovers and the $10 Smartcovers sold on Amazon/eBay?

Thanks!

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

$30?

3. MusicEnthusiast thread starter macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

4. neotope macrumors regular

5. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

If I were you and dead set on a smart cover, I'd get the real thing in an Apple store. Too many Chinese knockoffs on Amazon. Granted, they're cheap but still......

I've tried a zillion cases and I still keep coming back to the genuine Apple Smart Cover plus a nice clear or matte back shell. Perfect combination of functionality and thinness. Have used a variety of back shells, but the one I like the most is the Caudabe Shell. Get the frost version, though. Crystal or clear shells usually scratch up over time. My frost one has been fine for a while.

Picked up the Apple Smart Cover in an Apple store (duh). You can get the Caudabe shell here: http://www.caudabe.com/collections/ipad-accessories/products/ipad23-shell-frost

6. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

I'd say stick with the Apple ones, but if you're going to get a knock off, look for the Khomo ones. They seemed to be the best, of the ones I tried, next to the authentic Apple ones.

7. MusicEnthusiast thread starter macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Thanks for the input everyone. I went ahead a preordered a Black 4th Gen 32 GB WiFi iPad with a dark gray smartcover - all in the same order.

8. MusicEnthusiast thread starter macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

9. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that's the risk of buying on Amazon and eBay these days, unless you go with an established brand (read: a brand who actually has a legitimate website aside from an Amazon/eBay storefront). Might be cheaper, but then you don't really know what you're getting.

10. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Just about choked on my coffee, thanks :p.

Seriously though, I was wondering this myself. I'm assuming the overall quality of the materials used would be generally higher with Apple manufactured smart covers vs. cheaper knockoffs. Example, you can always tell third party dock connector cables apart from the Apple provided ones.

11. DrSMC macrumors newbie

Exactly.. lots of counterfeited items are selling at amazon... you get what you paid

12. treeoflife macrumors member

I second this input. Rule of thumb: go for the original. Some knockoffs are pretty decent and cheap but the duration of usage does not go far. Yes, there is a price diff but most likely it will last longer w/ better quality.