Apple iPhone 3.0 event tomorrow will reveal a tablet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Narcan, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Narcan macrumors newbie

Source:
    http://blogs.computerworld.com/apple_iphone_3_0_event_tomorrow_might_reveal_a_tablet

The Apple iPhone 3.0 event tomorrow might have more surprises than are immediately apparent. Especially in relation to a tablet. Here's my hypothesis why:

I've got a pretty good idea that Apple is going to be releasing more iPod touch/iPhone platform devices. Why? Well, for one, they've said so in a job posting at the end of last year.

The software developed by the networking team runs on a broad spectrum of platforms, including Macs and Windows, and from servers down to a growing number of embedded devices including iPhone.

Mockup via Factory Joe

So, that "growing number of embedded devices" I think will be a ten inch tablet. The ten inches figure I get from the three different reports out of China that Apple is developing a touch screen in the 9.5-10 inch area for release in Q3 (summer).

I don't think Apple is going to try to compete with the Netbook market directly. Apple has a big lead in touch technology and probably needs to innovate in other ways rather that release a similar type of product to a mature market.

The timing? Well, if this thing has to be put on a device in late Summer, Apple will probably want some software to run on it...probably even an App Store. If so, developers will need at least a few months to get their apps to run on this new little device. That means they should probably start right about now.

Then there has been the persistent "premium app store" rumors. Paying $20 for an iPhone app seems silly to me with so many great $5-$10 apps all around. But if an Apple tablet can handle hi res 3D gaming, it might make more sense. Current App Store apps should also run on it but in a resolution independence type of mode. This type of app would also be able to play on a new AppleTV OS with App store as well.

I think Apple's devices (even if not a tablet) will be based on the ARM Cortex A8 architecture like that of the Palm Pre. The video card will be from Imagination and will hopefully use some of that OpenCL Apple has been touting in its desktop Snow Leopard OS.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'll believe it when I see it.

And then I'll buy it.

But it won't be tomorrow.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

4. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

Thanks for signing up to say that. Speak soon x

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would love an Apple Tablet. :)

I doubt it will happen tomorrow, but I would love to be wrong! :D

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Capabilities for tablet, yes.
    Sat Nav app = potentially
    Tablet announcement? Probably not likely
    Tablet release? Unlikely

7. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

8. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Yes Apple is revealing hardware at a software event.

:rolleyes:

9. SleepyHead157 macrumors regular

it could just be an announcement w/o the actual product

10. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Lol I posted this in another section.

Here's my take:
    Nothing would be released, but surely some mention of that order of touch screens?

11. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

Considering Apple would be WAAAAY ahead of any touch tablets, they wont release it yet. They want to milk their sales of good ol fashioned laptops

12. admanimal macrumors 68040

Tomorrow is a developer event aimed at giving us (developers) a preview of the new SDK. While there may be things that hint of tablets and/or other devices that use similar software as the iPhone/iPod, I highly doubt any new hardware will be explicitly announced.

There has been so much ridiculous speculation about this event, that there is almost certain to be even more unfounded outrage than normal when all of the things that were never promised don't materialize.

13. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Supposedly the evidence is a job posting from December.

December.

It's going to be a while until we see more touch screen devices.

14. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Bingo!

Depends on the tablet. I doubt a iPhone OS mini-tablet would cut much into notebook sales.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Touch tablets have been around for a decade. They sell almost exclusively to the medical, military and field application types. And those are sealed and/or ruggedized.

Also, for a tablet to be any good beyond entertainment apps, it'd be nice for it to support a stylus for input such as detailed drawing. Or be like that cool new touch panel, and allow finger, brush, stylus, etc.

In any case, for a consumer tablet to succeed, it's not the hardware that's so important... it's the software. That's what people should be speculating about.

Desktop OSX, for example, is just like desktop Windows... not very well designed for touch. A touchscreen would be mostly a novelty item for consumers.

A useful touch tablet will need specialized software.

16. bigmouth macrumors 6502

As a long-time convertible tablet user, I'm pretty aware of what's available on the market. Most tablets are too large or small to break out of the niches you describe. My little Fujitsu, which is about the size of a netbook but with a touch screen is close, but still a tad too unwieldy because of the keyboard. IMO, the main impediment is hardware, not software.

I think there's a huge opening in the market for precisely what Apple is rumored to be developing -- i.e., an ultra-light, steno-sized tablet with no keyboard. The capacitive touch screen will make input MUCH easier than anything out there. And the size will mean you can carry the internet with you to the toilet. In all seriousness, that last part is the key imo. Tablets are not going to become mainstream until using one is as effortless as picking up a book.

17. diemos macrumors 6502

I doubt it, I think this event will only be about software, and next one maybe in June or some time in Summer will be Hardware event introducing the Tablet and it'll come out Holiday 09.

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

19. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Agreed, but it needs to be bigger to fully realize its potential as such. For example, I think people will be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to type on a larger on-screen keyboard with capacitive touch-screen.