Apple iPhone 4 bumper mod (PIC)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by SnowLeopard2008, Apr 22, 2011.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I recently purchased an Apple bumper. I really liked how it adds minimal bulk, no additional thickness and protects the iPhone. But it's not perfect, as the inner plastic can rub against the metal band and cause imperfections. It fits very well, but it might stretch under certain conditions.

This mod does two things, 1) stops the plastic from coming into contact with the metal band and 2) better fit. I lined the inner part of the bumper with little slips of tape. The plastic tape insulates the plastic from the metal. The surface of tape has little friction so it rubbing against the metal band won't cause any cosmetic damage. Now, the bumper has a perfect snug fit with my iPhone. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Smart idea. A cheap alternative to buying protective film for the antenna band.

3. oakie, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011

oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

putting the tape on the iphone instead will completely stop the type of friction you're trying to prevent.

but to use a bit of sense, plastic is infinitely softer than the steel used in the band; at most it will only polish the steel to a minor degree, smoothing the matte surface of the steel. if the plastic is able to do this, so will the tape (and the increased tension will only exacerbate this effect). however, most of the scratching occurs from foreign material getting caught in between. this being the case, the adhesive at the edge of the tape will only increase the chances of this happening.

reversing the tape as suggested or simply cleaning the band occasionally is your best bet.