Apple iphone 4s slower then other 3g phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by realized, Nov 29, 2011.

1. realized, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

realized macrumors newbie

I was wondering if you guys had a brother/sister/friend they could test this with.

Take your iphone and their phone (not iphone) both of you download the speedtest.net app and see what phone gets faster speeds.

the tests should be done as follows:

1) Disable WIFI on both phones
    2) be on the SAME NETWORK (ATT, SPRINT, ETC)
    3) make sure both of you are in a 3G only area.
    4) with speedtest.net, different phones have different locations to test from, get as close as you can.. i.e both of you pick a server in the same STATE as the same CITY/STATE might not be available
    5) test it a few times.

in my tests, every phone performs way better than the iphone. on average, the other phone would be 5x faster (download) then the iphone..

uploads were about the same on all phones.

after seeing the two responses decided to add this in:

all of my tests were done in southern california and on AT&T

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Mine is about the same for both phones. My 4S does average higher upload speeds though.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I've done this with my 4S and my HTC Evo, both were almost the same on 3G.

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I've already done this since I am always interested in network & phone speeds. In addition I use a lot of different phones besides always having the latest iPhone. I have five lines in my immediate family, all AT&T, two of which are mine. My wife & I use iPhones, I also use an SGS2 and my kids prefer Android.

I'm not seeing quite the difference you are, although my iPhones have always been slower. In my case it averages a 4x deficit. Since AT&T is already fast it partially makes up for the sluggish iPhone. Good enough for most needs.

Conversely my SGS II is really fast, and is used as my primary Smartphone.

5. realized thread starter macrumors newbie

the speeds in all my tests were around 6-9mb/sec on android, 6-7mb on blackberry.. iphone 4s never hit above 2mb (usually just over 1mb).. iphone 3gs same.

6. derickdub macrumors 6502

Are all your apps on each platform the latest version?

Speedtest.net isn't perfect for testing network speed. There are a lot of things that could affect your results, down to the browser/platform you're on.

I get 8mbps average when pinging the Richmond, VA server with my 4S on AT&T