Apple iPhone 4S vs Samsung Nexus Prime vs HTC Vigor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aohus, Sep 19, 2011.

1. aohus, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

aohus macrumors 68000

These 3 phones will be the flagships phones for each said company for the remainder of the holiday season. Just giving heads up with specs, details for each phone, and will update accordingly as new details emerge.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus (GT-i9250 + SCH-i515)
    Announcement: 10/11/2011 @ CTIA
    Release Date: 11/3/2011 (per cryptic tweet)
    First to market with Ice Cream Sandwich OS (2.4.1)
    Verizon Wireless exclusive at first, will trickle down to other carriers in the months ahead
    Contoured 4.65 inch SAMOLED+ @ 1280x720
    1.5GHz TI OMAP 4460 Dual Core SoC
    PowerVR SGX 540 @ 384MHz
    1GB RAM
    5MP Camera + advanced sensors (1080p recording/playback)
    2MP front facing camera
    MHL (acts as a charging/HDMI port)
    NFC ready (Google Wallet)
    CDMA/GSM/LTE ready (will eventually be available on all 4 U.S carriers)
    Will be ~8.8mm thick (as thick as current AT&T SGS II LTE phone)
    No physical/capacitive buttons except for Power, volume buttons
    [​IMG]

HTC Vigor
    Announcement Date: 10/06/2011
    Release Date: 10/13/2011
    Super LCD 4.3 inch HD @ 1280x720
    1.5GHz Qualcomm MSM8660 Dual Core SoC
    Adreno 220 GPU
    1GB RAM
    8MP camera
    1.3MP front camera
    HDMI
    LTE ready
    Running Gingerbread 2.3.4 using HTC Sense UI overlay
    Will come with Beats headphones and Beats audio tweaks in the OS.
    No word on which carriers will get this phone
    [​IMG][​IMG]

iPhone 4S
    Announcement: 10/4/2011 @ Apple HQ (10 AM PST)
    Release Date: 10/14/2011
    Screen: 3.5 inch Retina Display (960 x 640)
    Processor: A5 Dual Core SoC
    GPU: PowerVR SGX variant
    RAM: ?
    Camera: 8MP camera + advanced IR filter + 1080p playback
    Network: GSM/CDMA ready (global phone)
    [​IMG]

2. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

The iPhone 5 will continue to be the leader in the smartphone sales and experience, it will be holy and great, just like its predecessor †

3. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

100% correct!

The others really don't matter.

4. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

yeah, lets not be corporate fanboys.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Who is the fanboy?? You are comparing an unannounced phone to 2 other phones you have details for?

Why create this thread now? Why not wait until the iPHone 5 is announced?

6. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

I am not a fanboy. Get back to me in 6 months.

7. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

the OP is more of an objective post than anything else. No reason to feel insecure, the iPhone 5 will sell like hotcakes. And with the recent rumors, the iP5 will be no slouch.

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I don't feel insecure at all. Not defending the iPhone, just annoyed by all the useless posts in here.

9. batting1000 macrumors 604

+1, although you could've put in the rumored iPhone 5 specs as you have done with the Nexus Prime to keep things equal.

10. aohus, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

i will put in rumored specs.

11. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

iPhone 5 and Nexus Prime will be for sure 2 of the best phones this year along with the Galaxy S2! Going to be a hard decision about which one to get though and with the Galaxy S3 not that far away and its rumoured specs it's a question alone whether to even get an expensive smartphone anytime soon for me.

12. voonyx macrumors 6502a

Vigor will not sell well, galaxy nexus will sell two or three million (being generous) , if that, on vzw. Ip5 will sell multimillions and be the most successful phone in history... Are ppl really expecting any different?

13. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

I think you are confusing Samsung Droid Prime with the next Nexus which will be the first ICS but not vanilla.

14. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

some rumors have been cleared up today

The Droid Prime (SCH-i515) is really the Droid Charge 2 coming to VZW.

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus (GT-i9250) is the real deal, that will ship with vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich (2.4.1)

15. Savor Suspended

Savor

None of them.

Those three phones are place holders for the next six months for the imminent quad core phones with even higher resolution screens and 60fps video recording.

I would pick the Samsung Galaxy S III if those rumors are true and if it gets released by April next year. I can wait another seven months. Those are mindblowing specs that is advanced enough to last years. I like to update in an even number year. Nothing really intriguing in 2011.

This is like the BlackBerry 9900 which is just a place holder for QNX phones from RIM. Or Symbian's Anna or MeeGo which won't be supported by Nokia for very long once they go all-out with Microsoft. The PS Vita which is a gaming handheld can record at 60fps. I look at all three phones listed by the OP to be dated by the time the phones for MWC 2012 get announced.

And yes, believe that quad core is going to happen by 2012. If you look at NVIDIA's roadmap it even states quad core should come out either late this year or early next year with the introduction of Kal-El.

16. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

interesting, because the phone you get in 2012, will be obsolete when i get my end of year 2012 phone that will have pico projector support, 5 day battery life, and 1080p+ resolution on my smartphone.

17. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

18. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

its been confirmed that there will not be a physical button aside from the power/volume buttons.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

true. I am not expecting much for the iPhone 5. All the signs seem to be pointing to just a a minor bump but nothing impressive. But then again I prefer Android to iOS but I know people who iOS is the better choice for them. It is all about what you want to use the OS for.

I will be surprised if the specs of the iPhone5 are better than the Galaxy S2.

20. Savor Suspended

Savor

The biggest mistake Apple did this year for people who want the most cutting-edge specs is delay the iPhone 5 this year by about four months. Four months is a long time in this industry. By Feb of next year which is only four months away from this Oct, some more shinier toys will be announced that your iPhone will look so "2011-ish." This is like 2009 when that wasn't a year to truly upgrade although the speed from the 3G to 3GS has been underrated even if it looked exactly the same and the newer hardware features was basically a video recorder and compass.

Only reason that people are salivating more of this particular iPhone 5 is because of the waiting. The longer the wait, the more hype gets built for it. Sometimes those expectations becomes so high, it is never met. Apple really needs to think outside the box. The iPhone 5 will still sell like gangbusters whether it innovates or not. But sales doesn't equal quality. WebOS was obscure before people bought the TouchPad during its fire sale, and more people now are realizing it can be a superior OS than iOS and Android and best bang for the buck. Both iOS and Android bore me though. iOS is still the same. Android copies it and then adds widgets and live wallpapers.

My dream phone is really an OS like webOS or QNX, Android's superior hardware, and the app support and stability of iOS. But alas, that will never happen. If only HTC could buy webOS.

21. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

these three phones will be most sought after this holiday season.

just showing the specs for comparison sake.

please note that the nexus prime and htc vigor have yet to give out its official debut.

samsung nexus prime debut: 10/11/11 @ 11AM

htc vigor: set for 10/6/11

22. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

looks like the iPhone4S fails in comparison to other Android phones coming this holiday season :(

23. hot spare macrumors 6502

24. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

i added the teaser photo of the nexus prime.

there is rumor that this phone might act as a phone and tablet.

[​IMG]

Would you use a concave tablet?
    [​IMG]

25. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I disagree with all of these criticism on iphone 4S....

It was a let down and yes, it was a little bit of disappointment. But, the expectation was so high.

Apple is clearly making this iPhone 4s for people who haven't upgraded for iPhone 4. When people signed a contract for iPhone 4 last year and early this year, they are most likely not available to renew their contracts.

There is no reason to buy new iPhone every year...

Also, 4.3 inch is the largest screen I will ever deal with smart phones. I do not want 4.65 inch phones...

I will get a tablet for this.