Apple iPhone 6/6+ leather case vs silicone cases

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by 1ONE, Sep 20, 2014.

1. 1ONE macrumors member

iPhone 6 Drop Test with new Apple Cases

I typically scoff at drop tests unless they are as illuminating as this. I realize you can't draw a lot from this but it is something to note.

The only case that survives all 3 of his drops was the silicone case. That pretty much helped me make up my mind on which case to go with.

Now I just have to decide on a color... :rolleyes:

2. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I got the leather case and I'm not dropping it :D

3. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Leather here, but I think I'm going to try the silicone next.

4. 1ONE thread starter macrumors member

I'm sure the leather will be fine too, unless you try and dunk it. :)

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Really? So dropping them down glass first from 10 feet, with the silicone one hitting at a slightly different angle means.... nothing.

Any one of those cases is fine. Don't drop it from ten feet and you'll be just fine.

6. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

I went with the silicone case and I like the feel of it and the inner lining it has. I also thought it might have a slight edge over the leather in a drop situation and while this video isn't proof it's a little reassuring.

7. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

This was my logic exactly. And in my opinion if I'm spending $40 on silicone I might as well spend $10 more and get the leather. I actually ordered the seidio surface case yesterday so I'll have some options.

8. 1ONE thread starter macrumors member

My wife was nice to me and braved the Apple store at one of the malls here. Got me the Black Silicone for my 4.7 iPhone. I have to say, it looks perfect, very happy.

Nice rubbery texture, lay on table lip, nice and snug. Another nice thing, the inside is lined with the microfiber texture found on the leather iPhone 5 and 6 Apple cases.

Kind of reminds me of the silicone iPad cases of the past. Very pleased.

9. Anya B macrumors 6502

Anya B

I've got the silicone case mainly because the store only had the nasty pink leather case left. I find it a little too slippery and have ordered the olive brown leather case from Apple. I hope this has a better grip to it.

10. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

I tried both @ the apple store. The leather definitely had a better feel IMO.

11. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Okay, so all three phones perfectly survive drops from head height, and the iPhone 6 only finally breaks when dropped DIRECTLY flat face down on the screen from TEN FEET UP, a height not even Shaq is likely to drop his phone from.

All I can say is, Apple-cased iPhones are freaking DURABLE AS HELL even though they might not feel that way.

I feel a lot less nervous carrying around my new phone now. :)

12. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

Dstopsie

i liked the silicone case and was pleasantly surprised. I have the red leather and brown leather, but i have had the silicone on all day. Its lightweight and looks great. probably will return the leather and get another silicone one...