Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
How do the apple leather cases for the 8+ hold up? I know they aren’t going to provide a lot of protection but wondering if they themselves stand up to use. One thing that concerns me is removing them and and installing them multiple times. Has anyone that switches cases often noticed any issues? I tried installing the case per the instructions and it ended up holding down the power button. I had to remove the case and install it again.

Anyone have issues with the case getting worn out from repeated installs and removals?

Docd62

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Been use the Apple leather cases for he last few year and they hold up great. They also have protected my phones very well. They will change color over time from contact with your skin as the leather is not treated to protect it from the oils of your skin.

Reactions: Bino1970

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Yeah I am looking forward to the patina. I’m wondering if they stretch out at all from being installed/removed. A single removal and 2nd install like I did shouldn’t effect it but wondering over time.

Docd62

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Yeah I am looking forward to the patina. I’m wondering if they stretch out at all from being installed/removed. A single removal and 2nd install like I did shouldn’t effect it but wondering over time.

None of mine have ever shown any sign of stretching.

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
I swap mine into Fre case when I’m going around water etc.. no issues..

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014
I returned it because 8+ one dont fit tight. When you grab the phone you feel some wiggle on the case

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I've used the Apple leather case on my 6+ and had to replace it twice because slight damage to it causes big tears. I recommend Sena because the leather is thicker and lasts a lot longer for less. - Just my preference. https://www.senacases.com/

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Good. Me having to remove it and reinstall it shouldn’t have an effect. Thanks.

jlczl

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
How do the apple leather cases for the 8+ hold up? I know they aren’t going to provide a lot of protection but wondering if they themselves stand up to use. One thing that concerns me is removing them and and installing them multiple times. Has anyone that switches cases often noticed any issues? I tried installing the case per the instructions and it ended up holding down the power button. I had to remove the case and install it again.

Anyone have issues with the case getting worn out from repeated installs and removals?

I install and remove my cases practically daily and have always had an Apple leather in the rotation. I’ve never had any issues caused by that.

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
Same here. I remove them periodically to switch and/or clean them and haven’t had a problem.

When it comes to the Apple leather cases, make sure you find one that fits properly. I’ve had issues with fittings and buttons and have had to exchange them for ones that fit ok.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I didn’t even know cases came with installation directions. I’m rotating between a few different cases, including leather. It’s too soon to say anything about wear, though. I’ve got an Apple silicone and an Apple leather (OK, more than one, because of an open-box special), and I have to say I’m really enjoying the minimalism. And so pretty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.