Apple iphone and mandatory WiFi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vikingjunior, Apr 5, 2015.

1. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

I recently converted to iphone iPad from android and very impressed but something driving me crazy is this mandatory need for WiFi, apps over 100 mb, software updates, icloud back ups, photo sync. I have unlimited mobile data and do not have WiFi. I pay my carrier extra money for it so I don't need to pay someone else for WiFi.
    So is there any way around this limitation which android never implemented on their devices.

My breaking point was going to Starbucks to download ios 7 to ios 8 and it say 10 hours to download remaining. I don't want to sit in Starbucks for ten minutes never less ten hours.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Jailbreak tweaks can remove this limitation, but you can't do OTA updates if you're jailbroken.

You don't have wifi at home or work?

3. nox5 macrumors 6502

settings/itunes app store/use cellular data

or use itunes

4. vikingjunior thread starter macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

No WiFi at home or work (bus operator) I don't see the need especially if I pay and have unlimited data with 5 gb of hotspot which is enough for me. I don't have cable either just Netflix which I use my phone hooked up to TV.
    Who the hell is Apple to put such restrictions. Funny thing is if I have my ipad connected to iphone hotspot there is no restriction it treats it as WiFi which it's not, its cellular data. Stupid you ask me. I would literally need to ask a friend if I can go over there house use there WiFi and leave my iphone, iPad and laptop there overnight.
    Heck you can't even use itunes to update software as the laptop is connected to my iphone hotspot which it will not allow you to do for a software update, you must once again be on WiFi. This is so stupid!

----------

That's just for automatic updates. But thanks.

Furthermore if I take pictures throughout the day on my iphone and want to view them later that night on my ipad well I can't again you MUST be on WiFi for it to sync pics to ipad.

5. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Actually, your iPad is seeing the personal hotspot for what it actually is; a wifi connection rather than a cellular connection - the iPad doesn't know the difference. I have a cellular iPhone and a cellular iPad. I connect one to the other's personal hotspot when I want to get around the mandatory wifi limitation.

6. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

"So is there any way around this limitation which android never implemented on their devices. "

As someone who has used many Android phones on Verizon (Droid 1, HTC Thunderbolt, Moto X, Note 3) - this is definitely not the case. lol. I assumed all carriers limited that way. And yes, I've rooted my Android phones to get rid of that limitation (esp back in the unlimited days to tether). Are you on T-Mobile?

McDonalds has some decent WiFi. I've found AT&T Starbucks WiFi to be pretty poor --- though they're slowly switching to Google for internet.

You can update through iTunes on a computer/laptop.

Colleges have good WiFi. At least colleges I've been to.
    My church has pretty good WiFi.

Heck, I spend 98% of my day under really good WiFi (Verizon FIOS at work and home).

Hope you find a way :(

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

There is no way around it. You'll either have to deal with the limitation or get a different phone.

8. vikingjunior thread starter macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

I think this ^^^^^^ is my only real solution although I will need to exchange my wifi model for cellular lucky it's only a week old. Thanks!

----------

I hear you I just thought with all the neutrality and fairness going on these days it may be something the FCC or federal government may look into. #

9. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Yep, it works like a charm. Just keep an eye on any data cap(s) if you end up having one.. I went over mine quickly the first few months.

10. mrochester macrumors 65816

That's not the sort of thing they'd look into as you can pick from any other number of competing devices that don't have this limitation.

I think the reason for the limit was to prevent 'bill shock'. Unlike you or I, the vast majority of the smartphone using population have no idea how much data is transferred when installing apps or uploading photos to a cloud service. Granted you could simply have an option to allow you to choose to do these things over mobile data, but that's not typically the way Apple works.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Its purpose is also to help free up bandwidth for others. I think the limit is a good idea.

12. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Good to know, I did not realise this was a limitation when using the phone has a hotspot

----------

That's apple being big brother though when the relationship is between us and the carrier. It's like Apple users are making the experience better for the others, cause we are bandwidth limited :(

13. mrochester macrumors 65816

The relationship is between you, Apple and the network. It's a 3 way affair.

14. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Assuming you are on contract. And if on contract, I'm certain it's between you and the network ? In the UK, my contract is with the carrier, apple only covers the handset warranty. Be it a samsung, htc, windows, the contract is always with the carrier. Is the U.S. different ?

I buy my handsets outright.

15. mrochester macrumors 65816

Then the relationship is between you and Apple. It doesn't matter who your relationship is with, the 100mb limit still stands!

16. vikingjunior thread starter macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

Thanks for all the input guys/girls so I slept on it and wondering if just getting one of those portable hotspots from my carrier would make even more sense for the versatility???

17. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

The relationship is between me and my carrier, Apple device is throttling the bandwidth that I pay for , for a better word. That limitation goes away when I put the sim in a non Apple device, and yet the monthy payments continue with the carrier

----------

That is a good option, and should resolve your issues hopefully

18. mrochester macrumors 65816

It's Apple who have implemented the 100mb limit. It used to be a 10mb limit, then it rose to 20mb, followed by 50mb I believe and now 100mb. Your issue over this is with Apple, not the network. If you are not happy with the limit, you are free to choose a different phone to use or find some other solution.

19. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

So we agree it's the end device. While it's an issue, hardly one to throw ones toys out of the pram and ditch a great device, just an issue.

20. vikingjunior thread starter macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

It's a overreach by Apple if they were truly about the customer they would at least give us a toggle to opt out of this overage protection. For now I sync my pics/videos through google plus as the app gave me a choice of either WiFi or cellular data or both.

21. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

It's a relic of a regulation originally enforced on Apple by the carriers. At least until recently "unlimited data" has meant anything but. (You may yet hear from your carrier about your heavy data usage... read the fine print in your contract.)

And even without 100MB downloads, the carriers had a very hard time keeping up with the demand for data for iDevices. Even the original iPhones with their feeble Edge and 3G connections brought AT&T's network to its knees, back in the day. There's also the concern that someone without an unlimited-data plan would be socked with a huge bill.

These concerns are fading but still relevant.

You'll also find you get better battery life using WiFi vs. cell connection.

22. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

You can share photos using Airdrop between your iPhone and iPad with no wifi connection. You can use Bluetooth.

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

While I think vikingjunior's argument is a little over the top, OP does have a point in that this is probably something the FCC should look into. IIRC, this is a limitation that the carriers imposed on iOS devices. Sort of the give-and-take that came from the carrier leaving the OS otherwise untouched (i.e. no pre-installed carrier bloatware).

24. vikingjunior thread starter macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

I'm happy to report I picked up a a Tmobile hotspot and because I'm a current customer I got "data match" which basically gives me 5 gb of hotspot data for $10 a month in addition to the 5gb of hotspot on iphone. So in total 10 gb. This will do the trick but I still stand by my opinion that it's a very unfair tactic of handcuffing me to WiFi.

25. mrochester macrumors 65816

To be fair, you're very much an edge case with having no wifi at home.