Apple, iPhone and the latin world.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by David-fr, Oct 16, 2008.

1. David-fr macrumors 6502

Hi my name is David, am from Spain and i live in California, I have seen that there are no ads for the spanish market, neither for the iPods.

About 4 years ago it just to be an ad ''ipod+itunes'' the only one in spanish i've seen.

So, apple doesn't care about us. In the U.S we latin comunity are a big population, as well as other comunities.

My last trip to the apple store i was watching to buy a new spaeker for my iphone and then a women was trying to hear a bose portable speaker by accident put the volume all the way up, she did not speak inglish and i help her with the speaker. my point is that apple stores should have multiple lenguge to speak.

tell me what you think am i wrong?

P.S: The one girl i help is now my girlfriend!

2. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Apple is a business and sells to the bigger market. This being America they are going to show pretty much only English ads they aren't going to spend the extra money to make 2 ads. If I was in their position I would do the same. Now if they don't even show ads in Spanish in your country then I have no idea.

3. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

well i lived in mexico for 2 years and did not see a ad from apple, that was when i realize that

4. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I'm a Chilean living in Canada. And while I think you're sorta right, you gotta think about the big picture man.

While I love my Latino brothers and sisters, we're a pretty tiny part of the market. And really, from what I've seen in Chile, people like iPods and everything but basically *everyone* just buys those cheap chinese "mp4" players. People aren't into luxury mp3 players all that much there, from what I've seen.

That's not to say Apple doesn't care at all. Chile has a couple Apple Stores and there's the odd ad here and there. The iPhone just came out a little bit ago and there's been some ads from the carrier about it.

But really, in the end, when the Latino market starts spending more money, you'll be more attention from Apple.

As far as offering official multi-lingual in-store support in the North American market - why would they do that? Do Spanish customers (in the US) spend more than Japanese or German customers? Or anywhere close to what the native English speaking customers spend? I really doubt it. And besides, anyone willing to spend extra money on luxury items in the US probably has a pretty good handle on English already ;)

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I like how OP goes straight from "theres no spanish ads" straight to "apple must not care about us."

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlHUz99l-eo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPUfktj8UU4

Go watch those ads with the volume turned off. If you spoke no English, that's what you'd know: the visuals.

So what, exactly, needs to be translated? What you see on screen is 90% of the message. The voiceover is only about 10% of what matters. This means that a non-English speaker can still "get" an iPod ad even without knowing what they're saying. They seem pretty clear to me, with no sound.

7. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

Well yeah, bou you dont see this ads in the chanels i watch,
    I know the ads are all more muisc than spoken but the ads are not broadcast in the spanish channels

8. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

any.....

so, anyone feeling this way??
    would you like to see more publisity in other platfo:confused:rms?

9. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

others

watching the tv i saw that sprint pushes Instinct alot with ads in spanish, and ATT, maked ads about other phone, and blackberry has its own publicity!

10. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

I'm confused, you speak english so why are you complaining? Everyone should know ENGLISH... how about, the people who don't know it.. put a small effort into learning it instead of trying to have the world accomodate their laziness (after all, it only took my neice who was 1 1/2 years old about 6 months).

Remember, people come to America from other countries..... our language is English even though your native language may have been something different.

No, Apple shouldn't prepare everything in 2 languages or have people at the Apple store who can speak Spanish. Not speaking English is not a handicap, it's a choice.

I'm telling you now if I go to France to live, and can't speak french, nobody is going to feel sorry for me... instead i'm going to have to HOPE someone around speaks english OR prepare myself to learn their language.

11. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

There are spanish channels that translate all of the english ads, so i'm 100% positive iphone ads are run on those channels. Also, I can guarantee you that if you have a modern television you can change the language on the tv OR add closed captioning in spanish.

So if I were a company, why would I waste my time making advertisements twice for other languages when the people can just adapt......?

12. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

wrong idea

i think that you miss understood the whole idea....am not saying that, i meant that if apple will push into other markets that will incrase sells... i speak inglish of course and am agree that everyone that comes to usa should learn inglish but like me i never watch tv in inglish and only watch spanish chanels and if i could see the best phone being shown in my world ill be happy...got to see that latin market can go for these phones

13. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

But don't you already have an iphone? Don't latin people still have the ability to watch normal television translated into spanish?

It's not like Apple is hiding the iphone from the Latin community, the ads are still in the same places they are for everyone else.

I understand your point, but I don't think it would increase sales at all to be honest with you... because they're already advertising everywhere. If you choose not to look in obvious places then that's your choice, but you do have access to normal programming.

It all comes back to choice. You speak and understand english but CHOOSE to watch your spanish television... if you watched regular television, even translated into Spanish, you'd see the ads.

You seem like a nice enough guy, but i'd say your thought process here is flawed.