Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
I only have 1,000 shares of apple stock. How many does everyone else have? I am just concerned with apple products quality going downhill. They have been getting worse every year they grow.

I don't think they have. The Aluminum Unibody for the MacBook Pro lineup was one of my favorite improvements. Clever, efficient, sleek, gorgeous, but still pricey enough to earn you a few dividends on your return. :cool:

I think the more pertinent question would be what does his statement have to do with this thread?

Apple products are made in China. Perhaps he has concerns about the fabrication process there and the China Unicom news reminded him of it? :confused:

Shiner

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
I'm not sure what you mean by this. How has their quality gotten worse every year?

Well the first mac I ever bought for myself was an old blue G3 tower. That thing is still in my lab and runs great. Since that computer I have bought, or one of the postdocs or graduate students have bought, ever model of apple computers since. It seems from my experience every year the computers look better and better and appeal to more and more people. Unfortunately, I see more and more manufacturing problems every year. Recently, I returned the new MBP 13" for too many issues. The postdoc in my lab hated his rev. A macbook air. Hinges broke three times!! Motherboard on my macpro died twice! I actually just mailed away my 30" cinema display but she has been loyal for 2.5 years so something was bound to happen. My Black macbook was all around terrible. All of this was covered by applecare but still it did happen. My G4 powerbook was the best laptop I have ever owned. I still see it in the lab every once in while. My point is that apple is growing faster than they can keep up already. They are a very conservative company. That is why they have done so well money wise. They do not like to grow rapidly and then be stuck with overhead. This is good if you are a small company, which I like. Apple will see an increase in demand and without growth in the company it will have to make more with less people. Thus a lesser product.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
If this does in fact happen and Apple creates a new physical model without wifi then that kind of punches a hole in peoples arguments that Apple would not create another model with a CDMA radio in it.

I'm not exactly following your logic here. They remove wifi. That's it. CDMA would require additional software and engineering. It's not really the same at all.

aokiqiao

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
Odessa,TX
If this does in fact happen and Apple creates a new physical model without wifi then that kind of punches a hole in peoples arguments that Apple would not create another model with a CDMA radio in it.
Think about the call quality the iphones had in the past with gsm since the beginning. With the 3GS its gotten alot better just barely and it took 3 generations to iron it out. If they put CDMA in they would have to do alot of testing beforehand before throwing anything out. Wifi I think can be taken out or blocked software-wise more easily without much effort. :rolleyes:Then again, what do I know. lol

Edit: Damnit, jholzner beat me to it. :p

frankly

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2003
I was responding to a question asked to me in the thread. I guess I should just be quiet.

The entire thread starting from your original post makes no sense.

Who cares???
Read post #13
I only have 1,000 shares of apple stock. How many does everyone else have? I am just concerned with apple products quality going downhill. They have been getting worse every year they grow.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. How has their quality gotten worse every year?
I think the more pertinent question would be what does his statement have to do with this thread?

It didn't make any sense from the word go. Sorry. No one is saying you should be quiet just that your post doesn't seem to apply, unless you aren't spelling out what you are thinking adequately.

Also, no offense but what are you guys doing to the computers in your lab? No hardware is perfect but the track record of machines by people you work with is horrible. Either you guys have the worst luck ever or you use your computers like this:

zoo2.jpg

You can't judge a computer's quality from the experience of a few users. The fact is simple, if your examples were prevalent in Apple's products then they would be out of business.

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA

No this does not punch a hole in the CDMA argument.

Customizations for a country is done simply so Apple can enter that country. And when the country is China, you kind of adapt to their standards.

CDMA is just a technology/standard that simply does not need to be supported.

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA

What the hell are you talking about.

1. Apple products are better now than they were 20 years ago.
2. Apple products are better now than they were 10 years ago.
3. Apple products are better now then they were 5 years ago.

Need I continue.

If you're asking for stock advise here, then I recommend that you sell now.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
I don't understand really why there's no Wi-Fi.

I guess this is an alright move for :apple:, especially as they're just wanting to expand their market. Lets say 10% of the 650,000,000 Subscribers in China move to the iPhone. Thats 65Million units sold. What company WOULDN'T want that?

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
650,000,000 Chinese cell phone subscribers probably care.

1,400,000,000 Chinese on the move towards increased quality of life may care.

Apple stockholders care.

Talk about a narrow, provincial perspective :rolleyes:

India is very similar cell phone market, huge by numbers. However, Apple managed to sell a total of 11000 iphones there. Not 11 million, 11 thousand.

So who cares?

Shiner

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
What the hell are you talking about.

1. Apple products are better now than they were 20 years ago.
2. Apple products are better now than they were 10 years ago.
3. Apple products are better now then they were 5 years ago.

Need I continue.

If you're asking for stock advise here, then I recommend that you sell now.

I guess I would say continue. What are you basing this belief on? The two computers you are using or apple's press release?

Shiner

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
The entire thread starting from your original post makes no sense.

It didn't make any sense from the word go. Sorry. No one is saying you should be quiet just that your post doesn't seem to apply, unless you aren't spelling out what you are thinking adequately.

Also, no offense but what are you guys doing to the computers in your lab? No hardware is perfect but the track record of machines by people you work with is horrible. Either you guys have the worst luck ever or you use your computers like this:

zoo2.jpg

You can't judge a computer's quality from the experience of a few users. The fact is simple, if your examples were prevalent in Apple's products then they would be out of business.

You actually prove my point with your lame picture (I love the movie). These computers are in lab almost everyday and are treated pretty good and yet they still break. I know my experience is limited to about 50-60 macs in the last 10 years but it seems to me, again just my opinion, that the newer ones are not built as good as the old ones. That is all.

As far as the point: I was simply stating that selling more iphones does not necessarily mean better things for the end user. People always point to an increase in sales as a great thing for the average apple consumer and I simply wanted to state I do not agree. Someone pointed me to a post that stated that exactly. Thats all. No reason to get pissed. Everyone on here is so touchy.

frankly

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2003
You actually prove my point with your lame picture (I love the movie). These computers are in lab almost everyday and are treated pretty good and yet they still break. I know my experience is limited to about 50-60 macs in the last 10 years but it seems to me, again just my opinion, that the newer ones are not built as good as the old ones. That is all.

As far as the point: I was simply stating that selling more iphones does not necessarily mean better things for the end user. People always point to an increase in sales as a great thing for the average apple consumer and I simply wanted to state I do not agree. Someone pointed me to a post that stated that exactly. Thats all. No reason to get pissed. Everyone on here is so touchy.

Disagreeing with you does not mean we are touchy. The problem with your analysis is that you think that you consider the results from your 50 computers to be an adequate sampling from which to judge the quality of Apple computers over the last 10 years as a whole. I'm simply pointing out that this is absolutely ridiculous. Apple sells around 10 million Macs a year. If your experience were the norm and we extrapolated that out to the Mac sales as a whole then Apple would have gone belly up years ago. The fact is that their computers ARE high quality. In fact, I consider the new unibody MBPs to be the BEST laptop Apple has EVER made.

I've been using a Mac since 1988 and I have used personally and seen in action many many computers. I'm not denying that your G3 is a great computer. I still have a G4 that is running strong. But to say that the new models are of crappy quality based on just the ones in your lab is ridiculous. I have a 2007 17" MBP that I use every day. I lug it from home, to my office, to the classroom, to meetings, every single day. Back and forth. In the bag and out of the bag. Constantly. And it is like new. The reason I posted that picture is because in my head that's how I'm picturing you and your colleagues using your machines. I'm not saying that stuff doesn't break on its own but you guys either have the worst luck or you have some abusive users.

Either way, you are not the norm and Apple products are of high quality. They are consistently rated as the most reliable in independent consumer reports, by magazines reviews, etc.

So, sorry about your bad luck but it isn't happening overall.

Shiner

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Disagreeing with you does not mean we are touchy. The problem with your analysis is that you think that you consider the results from your 50 computers to be an adequate sampling from which to judge the quality of Apple computers over the last 10 years as a whole. I'm simply pointing out that this is absolutely ridiculous. Apple sells around 10 million Macs a year. If your experience were the norm and we extrapolated that out to the Mac sales as a whole then Apple would have gone belly up years ago. The fact is that their computers ARE high quality. In fact, I consider the new unibody MBPs to be the BEST laptop Apple has EVER made.

I've been using a Mac since 1988 and I have used personally and seen in action many many computers. I'm not denying that your G3 is a great computer. I still have a G4 that is running strong. But to say that the new models are of crappy quality based on just the ones in your lab is ridiculous. I have a 2007 17" MBP that I use every day. I lug it from home, to my office, to the classroom, to meetings, every single day. Back and forth. In the bag and out of the bag. Constantly. And it is like new. The reason I posted that picture is because in my head that's how I'm picturing you and your colleagues using your machines. I'm not saying that stuff doesn't break on its own but you guys either have the worst luck or you have some abusive users.

Either way, you are not the norm and Apple products are of high quality. They are consistently rated as the most reliable in independent consumer reports, by magazines reviews, etc.

So, sorry about your bad luck but it isn't happening overall.

Nice post, but I do want to point out that this is your opinion. Just like my statement was my opinion. I think the sampling is a fair assessment for ME the end user. In reference to your statement about we have bad luck or have abusive users is just stupid. It shows your bias to apple. It appears that there is NO WAY a apple computer could be built incorrectly. Guess what I have the track record to prove it.

frankly

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2003
Nice post, but I do want to point out that this is your opinion. Just like my statement was my opinion. I think the sampling is a fair assessment for ME the end user. In reference to your statement about we have bad luck or have abusive users is just stupid. It shows your bias to apple. It appears that there is NO WAY a apple computer could be built incorrectly. Guess what I have the track record to prove it.

I guess you missed the part where I said:

They are consistently rated as the most reliable in independent consumer reports, by magazines reviews, etc.

AND

Apple sells around 10 million Macs a year. If your experience were the norm and we extrapolated that out to the Mac sales as a whole then Apple would have gone belly up years ago.

Your opinion is just that, an opinion, and a bad one at that. If Apple products were seeing failure rates anywhere close to the rate you are seeing them at your location it would be all over the news, they would have to answer to their shareholders about it, and they would be hemorrhaging cash. None of that is happening because they don't have massive failure rates as you would like to believe.

This is NOT an opinion. These are facts. Sorry it doesn't fit your little mold.

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
I guess I would say continue. What are you basing this belief on? The two computers you are using or apple's press release?
No, this based on using and owning Macs since Apple II in the early 80's, combined with the general public opinion of Apple's products.

But is a MacPro better than a a PowerMac G3. Yes, hands down. Better design, better hardware and better price.

Is the current iMac better than the original iMac base on the above criteria? Yes, it is.

Is the current iPod better than the 5GB iPod? Again the answer is yes.

My current MacBook Pro if superior in every way to the PowerBook that it replaced, even though they have same case.

However, quality of a product does not always equate to value of the stock. Back when I bought Apple stock, Apple had good products, but a bad stock. When I buying up Apple stock at around $14.00 share (pre-slit prices) everyone laughed at me, I was told that Apple was going out of business...

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Do you actually think that removing Wi-Fi from the phone is equivalent to changing the radio frequency chip and updating the programing that goes along with that?

The point is, all of the naysayers loved to say that Apple would NEVER make a physically different model of the iPhone. Wifi most likely will be physically removed because if it was blocked by software it would be very easy to circumvent like most other software restrictions Apple has made, which people just jailbroke to get around.

So Ill say once again, if this is a physically different model (physically removing wifi) then this proves wrong all the people who swore that Apple would never make CDMA iPhone because it would be PHYSICALLY DIFFERENT from its current GSM counterpart.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
It's about time we reversed the trade deficit. :D

This has gone on for too long. I figure the Chinese will buy $10 Billion worth of iPhones every month. Before long, China will be in debt to us.

frankly

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2003
The point is, all of the naysayers loved to say that Apple would NEVER make a physically different model of the iPhone. Wifi most likely will be physically removed because if it was blocked by software it would be very easy to circumvent like most other software restrictions Apple has made, which people just jailbroke to get around.

So Ill say once again, if this is a physically different model (physically removing wifi) then this proves wrong all the people who swore that Apple would never make CDMA iPhone because it would be PHYSICALLY DIFFERENT from its current GSM counterpart.

Well, I guess it's easy to point fingers and try to knock down an argument if you only deal in absolutes. If you're arguing against people that said Apple would NEVER release a model that was any different at all then you probably won that argument.

However, your assertion that because they might release a model with one change that this means they will release one with another change then I'm not sure you can make that claim. The fact is that these require different amounts of engineering and it would be much harder for them to make a CDMA model than it would to make a version of the current model minus the Wi-Fi.

Personally, I'm not saying that they will never do it. In fact, I think they probably have a CDMA prototype in their lab. They would be crazy not to. However, my personal opinion is that they are hoping that AT&T will come through and offer them some concessions in order to extend the exclusivity deal. That will give the carriers time to roll out their 4G, which from what I've read looks to be compatible between Verizon and AT&T. We'll see.

Frank

frankly

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2003
So just like Americans with AT&T and Canadians with Rogers, Chinese can get screwed by Unicom. Niiice. :apple:

Being brought together by a global gouging initiative.

Verizon is the only other name I hear brought up when it comes to people wanting another carrier and their prices are almost identical to AT&T. Who were you hoping would be able to carry the iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.