Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a new "Bokeh'd" video on its YouTube channel, which highlights the Depth Control feature on the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR.

In the spot, a group of mothers are looking at photos, when one notices that her son has been blurred out in the background of an image. "Did you bokeh my child?" she asks, while the other mother attempts to explain that it was accidental.

The mother who took the photograph uses Depth Control to show that she can remove the bokeh effect so that the blurred child is back in focus. From the video description:
Depth Control on iPhone XS and iPhone XR lets you adjust the bokeh effect on backgrounds before or after you shoot. So you can turn a cute portrait of two kids into a stunning portrait of one kid.
Introduced in the new 2018 iPhone lineup, Depth Control is designed to allow you to control the amount of blur in the background of your images. When taking a Portrait Mode image, you can adjust it before or after capturing it to change how much background blur is used.

This feature is limited to the 2018 iPhone lineup and isn't available on older iPhones.

Article Link: Apple Shares Humorous 'Bokeh'd' Ad Highlighting iPhone Depth Control Feature

Reactions: ipedro

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
I think Apple might have made the wrong version of this ad public and available in their feed.

Normally, at the end of the ad, it would cut straight to just Apple logo. In this one, it has at&t logo before cutting to Apple logo. The versions with carrier logo before Apple logo appears is normally for reserved for pre-roll ad before it appears on monitiezed YouTube video, hence it’s always uploaded as “unlisted video”

Someone at Apple PR is about to be written up or getting fired.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
I hope they are working on low light photography, because google is miles ahead with their Night Sight
There's no way they aren't. The lens on both phones are practically the same, so it's up to the software and I really hope Apple brings a night mode to the Xs series too.
[doublepost=1550264604][/doublepost]They literally wrote in the description: "So you can turn a cute portrait of two kids into a stunning portrait of one kid."

LOL

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
It's not even legitimate bokeh... let my A7iii with an 85mm show you how that's done.
This just sounds like chest beating about personal tech. You’re missing the point. This is a very useful, quite well implemented feature. I challenge all but the astute photographer to choose between photos taken with the iPhone XS and XR, and those taken with any high end DSLR/mirrorless camera. Especially since probably 95% of all pics taken today are viewed on smartphone or tablet displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.